Pens v Flyers GDT (3/7/13)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens v Flyers GDT (3/7/13)

Postby wondermoose on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Jesse wrote:I'm part HH and part Snapshot.

On one hand, this team has proven this year that they can get into the game mentally and win games in a convincing fashion. They've also proved they can turn the puck over and completely abandon the front of the net.

But the fact that they've proved they can come back from virtually any deficit and win games in multiple ways is a big plus for me. You never want to advise a team to go down 4-1 in the first period against a rival on a regular basis, but that was a picture perfect performance from the Penguins in the final 40 minutes, especially in how they bled time off the clock in a very boring fashion and held the lead down the stretch of that game.

Hockey builds on itself game by game. I think that this win could really be a coagulating type of performance for the Penguins. Let's see how they do in Toronto on Saturday, that could be a big indicator of whether or not they've learned anything.

On the Fleury front, he's the cog that I'm least concerned about. Bad night last night. But beyond that, he's been stellar for the Penguins when he's been in net this season. The biggest thing for me is what kind of potential shot in the arm this could be for our backup.

I do, however, think HH is right to a point. I am not ready to wave the white flag on this season by any means, especially considering Shero's ability to drastically change the makeup of this team out of nowhere, but there are key focus and defensive issues that have haunted this team. If the Penguins solve them, they might be as unbeatable as Chicago down the stretch.

I'm glad they're recognizing this problem sooner than later, unlike last year. By the time the playoffs rolled around, their defensive prowess was gone and there wasn't time to fix it. Hopefully, Shero can maybe tweak the lineup here and there and Bylsma can settle down the team down and commit to some more defense. There's a certain truth in what Milbury said about Sid and Malkin, the crackhead comment, in that when both are in the lineup they have two lines that are balls-to-the-wall offense. It'll be interesting to see if/how Bylsma finds that balance with both stars in the lineup.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

mac5155 wrote:My fiancee eating big pickles ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha he

:pop:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:00 pm

wondermoose wrote:
Jesse wrote:I'm part HH and part Snapshot.

On one hand, this team has proven this year that they can get into the game mentally and win games in a convincing fashion. They've also proved they can turn the puck over and completely abandon the front of the net.

But the fact that they've proved they can come back from virtually any deficit and win games in multiple ways is a big plus for me. You never want to advise a team to go down 4-1 in the first period against a rival on a regular basis, but that was a picture perfect performance from the Penguins in the final 40 minutes, especially in how they bled time off the clock in a very boring fashion and held the lead down the stretch of that game.

Hockey builds on itself game by game. I think that this win could really be a coagulating type of performance for the Penguins. Let's see how they do in Toronto on Saturday, that could be a big indicator of whether or not they've learned anything.

On the Fleury front, he's the cog that I'm least concerned about. Bad night last night. But beyond that, he's been stellar for the Penguins when he's been in net this season. The biggest thing for me is what kind of potential shot in the arm this could be for our backup.

I do, however, think HH is right to a point. I am not ready to wave the white flag on this season by any means, especially considering Shero's ability to drastically change the makeup of this team out of nowhere, but there are key focus and defensive issues that have haunted this team. If the Penguins solve them, they might be as unbeatable as Chicago down the stretch.

I'm glad they're recognizing this problem sooner than later, unlike last year. By the time the playoffs rolled around, their defensive prowess was gone and there wasn't time to fix it. Hopefully, Shero can maybe tweak the lineup here and there and Bylsma can settle down the team down and commit to some more defense. There's a certain truth in what Milbury said about Sid and Malkin, the crackhead comment, in that when both are in the lineup they have two lines that are balls-to-the-wall offense. It'll be interesting to see if/how Bylsma finds that balance with both stars in the lineup.

I think BB may turn into a two-way forward that Geno's line desperately needed.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Desiato on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:45 pm

The Snapshot wrote:The Pens showed amazing ability, focus and controlled emotion last night - yet so few seem to care because they lost to these guys in the Playoffs last year.

It's not that at all. Completely out of context, this win--like most of the rest--is exciting. It was a good win, emotionally, in a lot of ways: come from behind win vs flyers in philly. However, there are glaring trends that have been present for *years* that clearly are not being addressed. What we saw in the 2nd/3rd periods was talent take over. But it still wasn't sound hockey.

Whether the root of the issues are primarily management, coaching or personnel, it's crazy to think think that there aren't significant issues for a team that intends to contend for the cup.

There is no switch to flip. If this team can't get its defensive act together before the playoffs, the result will be poor again.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Desiato wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:The Pens showed amazing ability, focus and controlled emotion last night - yet so few seem to care because they lost to these guys in the Playoffs last year.

It's not that at all. Completely out of context, this win--like most of the rest--is exciting. It was a good win, emotionally, in a lot of ways: come from behind win vs flyers in philly. However, there are glaring trends that have been present for *years* that clearly are not being addressed. What we saw in the 2nd/3rd periods was talent take over. But it still wasn't sound hockey.

Whether the root of the issues are primarily management, coaching or personnel, it's crazy to think think that there aren't significant issues for a team that intends to contend for the cup.

There is no switch to flip. If this team can't get its defensive act together before the playoffs, the result will be poor again.

And we go around and around in circles with the question of how Nashville would look if every shot found its way through Rinne? The goaltending was horrific and every NHL commentator I've heard has said that, including Philly's guys. The Pens played solid in the previous game and this was an abberation that was not the result of wide open guys or odd man rushes.

People see what they want to see I guess, myself included, but that was far from NHL goaltending and that trumps everything for me.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:13 pm

That Timonen shot should never have gone in. That wasn't a defense thing.

2 goals deflected off of Paul Martin. That's not a defensive problem. Fleury should've had his 5-hole closed on the 1st Voracek goal.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:49 pm

MRandall25 wrote:That Timonen shot should never have gone in. That wasn't a defense thing.

2 goals deflected off of Paul Martin. That's not a defensive problem. Fleury should've had his 5-hole closed on the 1st Voracek goal.

It was a Engo thing. He was right in front of the shot, while at the same time screening MAF. For some unknown reason, he moves away from the weak shot instead of just standing put and blocking the shot. Because of this, MAF was late to react. Engo moved away from it like it was a full blast slapper from Chara.

That goal completely on Engo.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins