Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 am

Looks like EA is going to give a free game to anyone who has purchased SimCity: http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-giving- ... ty-6405088

What should I get?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:37 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Beat the Forest Temple in OoT today. Fire temple over the next 8 or 10 hours of gameplay. I hate that thing.

For some reason, I remember the Spirit Temple being my favorite one
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:01 am

I played the new Citadel DLC for ME3, and I must say I really enjoyed it. The story isn't great, but the character interactions were excellent. The dlc was almost entirely on the humorous side, but didn't bother me because it made me smile/laugh often.

It's obvious the dlc was meant for a post ending playthrough because the tone is completely opposite to the rest of the game while also providing a better sendoff to the characters.

Although it doesn't change the ending, it took the sour taste out of my mouth that the ending introduced. You can easily make up your own ending, and pretend this was what happened afterwards. You end the dlc with a party with nearly all of your squadmates from all the games. I didn't want it to end because I knew the series was officially concluding.

If you don't mind spending $15 on it, I recommend picking it up simply for the character interactions.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:04 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Beat the Forest Temple in OoT today. Fire temple over the next 8 or 10 hours of gameplay. I hate that thing.

For some reason, I remember the Spirit Temple being my favorite one

Thats my favorite as well. Fire temple is too dark and just impossible to find your way around, water temple is too tedius, Shadow temple is too short, and Forest temple has the stress of those two rooms with wallmasters in them and when I approach them the stress causes me to need to take a trip to the bathroom.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Looks like EA is going to give a free game to anyone who has purchased SimCity: http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-giving- ... ty-6405088

What should I get?

Sounds like I'll benefit from this too. Just saw that UPS says my copy is waiting in my mail box right now.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:39 am

WHAT A ******* TERRIBLE ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Put a bunch of hours into Sim City yesterday going solo. You can play single player no problem, but it is harder to do that than in the past. The specialization aspect is key and makes it more challenging because if you try to make your city a generalist type city, you will run out of room and have angry citizens. I did a 3 city region on my own yesterday and now have to go back and specialize each one better by trading utilities because they are all on the edge of no room and needing things.

Anyone want to do a co-op? My time is mostly late EST, especially with the time change.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Rylan wrote:WHAT A ******* TERRIBLE ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep.

Like I mentioned before, the Citadel DLC helped me forget about the ending. So much so, that I finally bought ME 1, and I plan on playing through the series all the way.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:59 pm

I have never been so disappointed in the ending of an otherwise amazing game.

Spoiler:
I don't even care that they wanted Shepard to die in an act of ultimate sacrifice. I figured that was how it was going to end based on a few scenes and conversations. I even thought it was fitting. But how they went about it was truly terrible. Even the extended cuts just were...underwhelming. Playing through the whole series may have caused my annoyance, but at this time I have no interest in playing again. Up until the ending I wanted to go through the series a few more times, but that may wait for awhile. The characters and story development was fantastic, and then that ending was just brutal. Relationships with characters ruined because they never delved into what happened to them. Like why the hell is the Normandy on some random ass planet? The ending left so many unanswered questions to the Shepard trilogy and that's what bothers me. And since Mass Effect "4" will have no direct contact with the Shepard Trilogy I feel things will never get answered. And that is terrible story telling.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:30 pm

I felt the same way.

One of the biggest slaps in the face was, before ME3 was released, Bioware promised there would be at least 8 completely different endings, and went as far as to condemn the idea of 3 rehashed endings, making none of your decisions matter.

And then Bioware does EXACTLY that. Wtf?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Wow that is even more of a let down. Hopefully they have learned and the next trilogy is complete. Maybe the kid of Shepard and *insert relationship here*. lol jk
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:42 pm

lol I wish I had school so I wouldn't think of endings that would have been better. :scared:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:09 pm

I hooked my old Sega up this weekend. So much fun.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:13 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I hooked my old Sega up this weekend. So much fun.

Altered Beast was always a favorite.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Anyone have interest in a LGP region for SimCity?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Anyone have interest in a LGP region for SimCity?

Are the servers working properly yet?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Rylan wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Anyone have interest in a LGP region for SimCity?

Are the servers working properly yet?

From what I've been reading, it's been really smoother out over the weekend. I'm buying it now actually.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joeyg412 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Sim city has been running well for me, I haven't had an issue all weekend.
joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:20 pm

I had no issues yesterday on it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Haven't really been playing any games as of late, but that will be changing in a big way on Tuesday when Heart of the Swarm and God of War Ascension arrive.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:05 am

I think that the reason ME3's ending angered so many gamers is that over the course of the trilogy, the developers do an incredible job making you become emotionally invested in the characters involved. More so than just about any other game I can think of, honestly.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:14 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I think that the reason ME3's ending angered so many gamers is that over the course of the trilogy, the developers do an incredible job making you become emotionally invested in the characters involved. More so than just about any other game I can think of, honestly.

That is the reason it bothered me. They do all that effort to make the characters relevant until the end, and at that point they mean nothing.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:00 am

Yeah that's why many took it so hard I think. I mean I invested easily 150+ hours or so over the course of all 3 games, and to have it end like that. Yeah.. it sucked.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 am

Spangler wrote:I played the new Citadel DLC for ME3, and I must say I really enjoyed it. The story isn't great, but the character interactions were excellent. The dlc was almost entirely on the humorous side, but didn't bother me because it made me smile/laugh often.

It's obvious the dlc was meant for a post ending playthrough because the tone is completely opposite to the rest of the game while also providing a better sendoff to the characters.

Although it doesn't change the ending, it took the sour taste out of my mouth that the ending introduced. You can easily make up your own ending, and pretend this was what happened afterwards. You end the dlc with a party with nearly all of your squadmates from all the games. I didn't want it to end because I knew the series was officially concluding.

If you don't mind spending $15 on it, I recommend picking it up simply for the character interactions.

Played through it this past weekend as well. Timing hit perfectly as I was already working on a ME2-to-ME3 quest and I had just wrapped up the Horizon mission.

Citadel was far & away the best DLC available for any of the games. I didn't want to move on with it, to be honest.

I wasn't a fan of the original endings and even though the extended cut DLC helped close some of those loopholes and made the endings better, a big complaint of mine was that I still thought a number of characters from the series were under-utilized in ME3. Citadel did a fantastic job bringing some of those characters back into the fold, creating several moments that were equally funny and poignant...some even moreso than what existed in the original game.

Some thoughts and favorites:

Spoiler:
1. I thought the combat missions were relatively basic, but they didn't need to be anything more. Very creative with the villain, too.

2. I loved how they eventually got the entire squad involved in the combat scenes. In particular, that scene with everyone shooting from the balcony was just awesome.

3. The play on some of the memes associated with the series was terrific and lead to a number of laugh-out-loud moments for me. In particular -

a. The whole "I should go" exchange when they're locked in the vault. Absolutely hilarious.
b. "No one steals my ship. Not even me."
c. Mordin Solus, breaking the primary rule of Omega. In more ways than one.
d. Javik, drunk, ducking behind the couch on the floor in the apartment bar during the party, yelling "COMMANDAHHHHHHH!" when you walk back in the room.
e. There are apparently 1001 different dialogue options based on who you have at the party, what kind of party you choose, etc. If you choose to have a louder party and continue as such after the first check-back with Glyph, there is an exchange that Shepard mediates between Jack and Miranda at the apartment bar near the back that is just priceless.
f. The entire scene that is Shepard bailing Grunt out of the incident with the C-Sec car.

3. Because the series did such a terrific job building up emotional attachments to the Normandy crew, the closing scene at Docking Bay D24 was hands-down one of my favorite scenes not just of the Citadel DLC or ME3, but of the entire series. It was intended to fall chronologically between the Horizon and Cerberus Base missions, so had it been restricted just to the mission storyline, it would've made for one of the most emotional scenes of the story.

Knowing this also marked the official closure of the Shepard storyline made it even more so, and I thought it was great that they wrote the scene with that in mind. It was a very nice nod by the BioWare team to the fans of the game and all said, it was a very nice way to bring the entire series to a close.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:31 am

Got a free $10 from Sony for PSN woot
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR