Official GDT: Game 25 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Toronto - 3/9

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Game 25 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Toronto -

Postby Orlando Penguin on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:01 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:I would have no problem if Shero pulled a Big Lou and fired Byslma at this point. Much like the Devils, we're high in the standings, but it's not pretty.

This is a losing formula in the playoffs. Lindy Ruff please.

You're such a freakin' drain to read. You'd get pissed off at a million dollar lottery ticket because the ink was in red instead of green. I wish there was a solution. Oh wait...there is. Bye.

Right. 7 straight games of 3+ against is a winning formula

Seems to have worked in the last 4. It ain't pretty. It gives us all heart attacks and ages some of us 30+ years but we just keep moving up the standings and I'm good with that.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Gaucho wrote:Image

DO YOU SEE THAT THUMPER IS LETTING BAMBI STAND ON THE FLOWER!!!!!
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ranci on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:02 pm

You understood this in last years playoffs
ranci
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: Fleury didn't lose the game. He just made it almost impossible for the Penguins to win it.

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:02 pm

The sad thing is I think some posters on here would rather the Pens burst into flames again in the playoffs than make a deep run just so they can be justified.

Must be awful to be miserable all the time.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ranci on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Must be awful to not understand this
ranci
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: Fleury didn't lose the game. He just made it almost impossible for the Penguins to win it.

Postby The U on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
The U wrote:Focus now turns to Malkin's health.

He was still on the bench so I don't think it can be that serious.

Precautionary.

Hopefully not concussion (FSN just mentioned this)
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Orlando Penguin on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Beveridge wrote:The sad thing is I think some posters on here would rather the Pens burst into flames again in the playoffs than make a deep run just so they can be justified.

:thumb: :thumb:

A ton of armchair coaches on here that think they know what's best for this team when the only coaching they've done is on their fantasy teams and their XBOX teams.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:I would have no problem if Shero pulled a Big Lou and fired Byslma at this point. Much like the Devils, we're high in the standings, but it's not pretty.
We will see how you feel after our first round loss
This is a losing formula in the playoffs. Lindy Ruff please.

You're such a freakin' drain to read. You'd get pissed off at a million dollar lottery ticket because the ink was in red instead of green. I wish there was a solution. Oh wait...there is. Bye.

Right. 7 straight games of 3+ against is a winning formula

Seems to have worked in the last 4. It ain't pretty. It gives us all heart attacks and ages some of us 30+ years but we just keep moving up the standings and I'm good with that.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghThing on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:04 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

No,I think he means the significance of a skunk in the flowers, i.e. MAF stinks. Again, just my interpretation, I could be drunk.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Great game by the Captain! thanks Sidney!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 pm

BurghThing wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

No,I think he means the significance of a skunk in the flowers, i.e. MAF stinks. Again, just my interpretation, I could be drunk.

And my coffee goes everywhere.

Great post :thumb: :thumb:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 pm

Beveridge wrote:The sad thing is I think some posters on here would rather the Pens burst into flames again in the playoffs than make a deep run just so they can be justified.

Agreed. I think this team is better than most seem to think. Minor tweaks at the bottom of the lineup and PK. Fleury and Vokoun need to up their game. They are both struggling at the same time.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 pm

ranci wrote:You understood this in last years playoffs

Stop. This is like when people started liking "Who wants to be a millionaire" so it was put on every single evening and was canceled soon after. Do you not realize people putting that at the end of what they were saying was because they were laughing at you not with you.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters
Martin was given credit for the Penguins' third goal. Martin from Neal and Malkin
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tjand72 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Why is the shoot out so hated? I can see the argument that it's a "skills challenge" but it forces a winner and rewards a team that drafts/plays its top players. For every argument to win in OT, there's a counter-argument to finish in regulation and keep the opposition from earning a point.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

Agreed
Agreed. I think this team is better than most seem to think. Minor tweaks at the bottom of the lineup and PK. Fleury and Vokoun need to up their game. They are both struggling at the same time.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens#1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 pm

knives of ice wrote:would be really anxious to know if geno was going to be the third shooter. i know he didn't play ot, but was still on bench.

HNIC said he was not the 3 rd shooter
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Well, another high scoring, exciting hockey game that we pulled out. Again, more proof that is what this team is and this is how they play and win games.

Bad sign for anyone that hopes for playoff success.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but I just don't understand how a team that gives up 5 shots in the 3rd doesn't get any credit. Toronto was storming too. Fleury again gives up 2 softies at a minimum. The D played well again, and they won 3 periods on the road.

The goalies need to be a LOT better. The D cannot allow 0 shots.....

The Pens gave up a lot of scoring chances in the third period. A lot. Not all of them turned into shots on net but the Leafs were all over the Pens in the third, especially late. And the PK contines to get worse every game. That is a major problem. And the Pens don't seem to notice because Bylsma keeps sending out the exact same PKers every single time.

Look, you might not think this team has a big problem and you might not have an issue with how they play, that's fine. But you have to be honest here. It is now the norm for this team to give up at least 3 goals every single game. This isn't just some poor strech of defense. It is every single game the team gives up loads of goals. The only reason we contine to win is beause we have high level talent. And you also have to admit that the type of games the Penguins have been playing for a year now are not the types of games that are played in the postseason.

You simply cannot be this bad at keeping the puck out of your net and do anything in the playoffs.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ranci on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

Stop. This is like when people started liking "Who wants to be a millionaire" so it was put on every single evening and was canceled soon after. Do you not realize people putting that at the end of what they were saying was because they were laughing at you not with you.

Understand this.
ranci
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Geno was giving the 1000 yard stare. I'd imagine that he still would've went in the shootout, but this can't be good.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

He obviously doesn't understand this...
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:07 pm

tjand72 wrote:Why is the shoot out so hated? I can see the argument that it's a "skills challenge" but it forces a winner and rewards a team that drafts/plays its top players. For every argument to win in OT, there's a counter-argument to finish in regulation and keep the opposition from earning a point.

I'd rather see an additional 5 minutes of 3 on 3 before the shootout.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:08 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

I tried to tell him with no sarcasm, but oh well...
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ranci on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:08 pm

farnham16 wrote:
The Pens gave up a lot of scoring chances in the third period. A lot. Not all of them turned into shots on net but the Leafs were all over the Pens in the third, especially late. And the PK contines to get worse every game. That is a major problem. And the Pens don't seem to notice because Bylsma keeps sending out the exact same PKers every single time.

Look, you might not think this team has a big problem and you might not have an issue with how they play, that's fine. But you have to be honest here. It is now the norm for this team to give up at least 3 goals every single game. This isn't just some poor strech of defense. It is every single game the team gives up loads of goals. The only reason we contine to win is beause we have high level talent. And you also have to admit that the type of games the Penguins have been playing for a year now are not the types of games that are played in the postseason.

You simply cannot be this bad at keeping the puck out of your net and do anything in the playoffs.

We have an understanding
ranci
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:08 pm

For me, this was more about special teams than anything else. The Pens couldn't get one, and the Leafs got two quick ones, the second of which made it 4-3 going into the 3rd.

I think the Pens were even or better for much of the 3rd, but the Leafs definitely got the momentum they needed down the stretch. Count me among those who can't understand why the 4th line would get any playing time at that stage.

For all the talk of MAF fighting it tonight (and I agree he was), he still made a couple of big saves in the 3rd and OT and was obviously his reliable self in the shootout. I count one goal that he should have had.

Sid. Even by his standards, that was an amazing game. He took a foolish penalty, but he worked his ass off to try to get it back. Thoroughly fitting that he finished things off in the SO with that sick snipe.

Reimer made some key saves in the 3rd. The Pens out shot them 13-5.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins