Official GDT: Game 25 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Toronto - 3/9

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Game 25 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Toronto -

Postby Mr. Colby on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:I would have no problem if Shero pulled a Big Lou and fired Byslma at this point. Much like the Devils, we're high in the standings, but it's not pretty.

This is a losing formula in the playoffs. Lindy Ruff please.

You're such a freakin' drain to read. You'd get pissed off at a million dollar lottery ticket because the ink was in red instead of green. I wish there was a solution. Oh wait...there is. Bye.

Right. 7 straight games of 3+ against is a winning formula
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:10 pm

So, I think the bigger issue is the Penalty Killing is pretty terrible. If it wasn't for that, the game is 4-2. They are really missing a vacuum type player for the PK. Somehow, Mr. Shero needs to find this sooner rather than later because the price could go up quickly.

I think Beau Bennett fits that 2nd line just fine.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:12 pm

and on top of that...we are now 7 points ahead of 2nd place New Jersey. Come home and take care of business vs. the Islanders.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:13 pm

PK is the biggest issue right now. They have gone from could score a shorty at any moment to I just hope they can clear it out of the zone once. It's mostly the same personal sans Staal and I guess Z to an extent. Maybe the issue is too much of the same bodies.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:13 pm

farnham16 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Well, another high scoring, exciting hockey game that we pulled out. Again, more proof that is what this team is and this is how they play and win games.

Bad sign for anyone that hopes for playoff success.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but I just don't understand how a team that gives up 5 shots in the 3rd doesn't get any credit. Toronto was storming too. Fleury again gives up 2 softies at a minimum. The D played well again, and they won 3 periods on the road.

The goalies need to be a LOT better. The D cannot allow 0 shots.....

The Pens gave up a lot of scoring chances in the third period. A lot. Not all of them turned into shots on net but the Leafs were all over the Pens in the third, especially late. And the PK contines to get worse every game. That is a major problem. And the Pens don't seem to notice because Bylsma keeps sending out the exact same PKers every single time.

Look, you might not think this team has a big problem and you might not have an issue with how they play, that's fine. But you have to be honest here. It is now the norm for this team to give up at least 3 goals every single game. This isn't just some poor strech of defense. It is every single game the team gives up loads of goals. The only reason we contine to win is beause we have high level talent. And you also have to admit that the type of games the Penguins have been playing for a year now are not the types of games that are played in the postseason.

You simply cannot be this bad at keeping the puck out of your net and do anything in the playoffs.

And I stand by the fact that you cannot stop all shots and when your goalie is this god-awful they are going to end with a red light. That is fact, and the out of town crews in every game (which you may not hear but I do in NJ) have ALL said that. This team is surrendering goals every game because they have gone about 10 without a solid goalie game. The PK isn't good either, but JVRs goal was an easy stop if Fleury has his stick in 1st Pee Wee camp position.

You can't judge a team's team D when the goalie leaks every night. If I allow myself to think about a nightmare in the 1st round this year I am MOST concerned about Fleury. I honestly thought Vokoun was going to offer a potential for Fleury to be hooked if he is as terrible again this year as he was against the Flyers, but he has been a mess as well.

ONE of them needs to get it together.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Pens are 7-3 last 10. Take the results obviously. But they've given up 40 goals over that 10 game period. Have to tighten up come playoff time.

Hopefully Shero can add a top 4 veteran D and character forward.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:15 pm

You CAN have it both ways.

This style of hockey is extremely fun to watch and this is a sport....and we watch for entertainment. Games like this are great. I want more regular season games like this.

I also understand that if they do this in the postseason we are out in Round 1.

Shero watches every game and has $13 million to spend. This is not our playoff roster. 3 or 4 guys will come and 3 or 4 will go. Shero didn't improve the team last deadline and it killed us. He will this year, I have faith. His job probably isn't on the line but if we flame out in RD1 it will be heading into the next season. The pressure is too great to stand pat.

Tonight was great, but yes, there are 3 or 4 dead weight forwards on the bottom 6 and an overall lack of size snd physicality. I trust Shero to fix the situation so I will continue to enjoy these up and down regular season games for now and not freak out until it really matters.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tomas on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:15 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Image

DO YOU SEE THAT THUMPER IS LETTING BAMBI STAND ON THE FLOWER!!!!!

I guess I am the only one who saw this and immediately remembered "Oh boy! Our satanic powers sure did the trick!"... :)
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Daniel87 wrote:Geno was giving the 1000 yard stare. I'd imagine that he still would've went in the shootout, but this can't be good.

I saw it too but wouldn't he have been taken to the locker room for the concussion test? Unless he lied to the staff and was pretending/flexing his shoulder to keep them off his back.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 pm

The U wrote:You CAN have it both ways.

This style of hockey is extremely fun to watch and this is a sport....and we watch for entertainment. Games like this are great. I want more regular season games like this.

Shero watches every game and has $13 million to spend. This is not our playoff roster. 3 or 4 guys will come and 3 or 4 will go. Shero didn't improve the team last deadline and it killed us. He will this year, I have faith. His job probably isn't on the line but if we flame out in RD1 it will be heading into the next season. The pressure is too great to stand pat.

Tonight was great, but yes, there are 3 or 4 dead weight forwards on the bottom 6 and an overall lack of size snd physicality. I trust Shero to fix the situation so I will continue to enjoy these up and down regular season games for now and not freak out until it really matters.

Good post. I agree Shero will try to be active. Looking forward to see what he will do with this cap space...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 pm

The Snapshot wrote:And I stand by the fact that you cannot stop all shots and when your goalie is this god-awful they are going to end with a red light. That is fact, and the out of town crews in every game (which you may not hear but I do in NJ) have ALL said that. This team is surrendering goals every game because they have gone about 10 without a solid goalie game. The PK isn't good either, but JVRs goal was an easy stop if Fleury has his stick in 1st Pee Wee camp position.

You can't judge a team's team D when the goalie leaks every night. If I allow myself to think about a nightmare in the 1st round this year I am MOST concerned about Fleury. I honestly thought Vokoun was going to offer a potential for Fleury to be hooked if he is as terrible again this year as he was against the Flyers, but he has been a mess as well.

You are honestly blaming just Fleury for that 1st period mess in Philly?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Well, another high scoring, exciting hockey game that we pulled out. Again, more proof that is what this team is and this is how they play and win games.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but I just don't understand how a team that gives up 5 shots in the 3rd doesn't get any credit. Toronto was storming too. Fleury again gives up 2 softies at a minimum. The D played well again, and they won 3 periods on the road.

The Pens gave up a lot of scoring chances in the third period. A lot. Not all of them turned into shots on net but the Leafs were all over the Pens in the third, especially late. And the PK contines to get worse every game. That is a major problem. And the Pens don't seem to notice because Bylsma keeps sending out the exact same PKers every single time.

Look, you might not think this team has a big problem and you might not have an issue with how they play, that's fine. But you have to be honest here. It is now the norm for this team to give up at least 3 goals every single game. This isn't just some poor strech of defense. It is every single game the team gives up loads of goals. The only reason we contine to win is beause we have high level talent. And you also have to admit that the type of games the Penguins have been playing for a year now are not the types of games that are played in the postseason.

You simply cannot be this bad at keeping the puck out of your net and do anything in the playoffs.

And I stand by the fact that you cannot stop all shots and when your goalie is this god-awful they are going to end with a red light. That is fact, and the out of town crews in every game (which you may not hear but I do in NJ) have ALL said that. This team is surrendering goals every game because they have gone about 10 without a solid goalie game. The PK isn't good either, but JVRs goal was an easy stop if Fleury has his stick in 1st Pee Wee camp position.

I'm not trying to say the Pens have gotten solid goaltending the last few weeks, but man I just gotta disagree that goaltending is the teams biggest issue.

Take for instance the Carolina game, Pens lost the game 4-1. It would have been 10-1 if not for MAF. He was awesome and the team defense was a joke.

Its a combination right now. I just put more blame on team defense and special teams than I do the goaltending. That is just where you and I disagree.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:18 pm

The reason he didn't improve the team last year is the same reason he won't improve it this year...no assets and not enough players on the market.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:18 pm

KG wrote:

Good post. I agree Shero will try to be active. Looking forward to see what he will do with this cap space...

Honestly, I don't understand benching Vitale at this point...unless they are trying to "showcase" Jeffrey. I don't know how you can showcase Jeffrey on the 4th line though. I also think Tanner Glass is just serviceable. I'd rather have Asham or Rupp.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 pm

Beveridge wrote:PK is the biggest issue right now. They have gone from could score a shorty at any moment to I just hope they can clear it out of the zone once. It's mostly the same personal sans Staal and I guess Z to an extent. Maybe the issue is too much of the same bodies.

Been saying this for two years. Outside of Sutter the entire bottom 6 are the same size and play the same way. They are like lemmings or clones. 5'10 185lbs.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GenoMachino71 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

and I guess it's a coincidence that Vokoun is going to have his worst season statistically BY FAR playing in this system and in front of this defense....

Vokoun's career averages vs this season....

2.56 gaa vs 3.32
.917 sv% vs .890

Vokoun has never had a goals against average of over 3 in a season.... until he came to Pittsburgh
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 pm

shmenguin wrote:

The reason he didn't improve the team last year is the same reason he won't improve it this year...no assets and not enough players on the market.

Lots of high level defensive prospects aren't assets?
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Tonight after the game on hnic, Sid said "we played a really solid game and probably deserved better than that" referring to the game going to OT. Does anyone else think that was a crack on MAF?
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Bylsma just asked refs if he can put fourth line on ice to watch #Leafs goals in shootout.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
KG wrote:

Honestly, I don't understand benching Vitale at this point...unless they are trying to "showcase" Jeffrey. I don't know how you can showcase Jeffrey on the 4th line though. I also think Tanner Glass is just serviceable. I'd rather have Asham or Rupp.

Gotta give Vitale a rest, given how tired he looked toward the end last year
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:22 pm

shmenguin wrote:

I disagree with you here. There will be some big assets on the market this year. Perry, Clowe, Hainsey, Possibly Dan Boyle (still a year left at 6.667), Heatley, Prospal, Iginla, etc.
Last year's deadline was a dud.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Shakes wrote:Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Bylsma just asked refs if he can put fourth line on ice to watch #Leafs goals in shootout.

No reason at all for the 4th line to be out like it was under 5 minutes. It is just awful coaching and you can't defend it at all.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Pens confirm that Malkin injury not a head inury. Sorry if I'm late on this one. They say "upper body." So shoulder?
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:22 pm

So who is the top damn that can be had before TD
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:23 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
KG wrote:

Gotta give Vitale a rest, given how tired he looked toward the end last year

Seriously? Vitale plays like 10 mintues a game if that.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins