Tax Season!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Tax Season!

Postby mac5155 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:02 pm

My fiancee got hers about 6 days after e filing. Mine took longer cause of education forms, specifically 8863.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,772
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Tax Season!

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Yea that could be what is holding mine up
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Tax Season!

Postby mac5155 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 pm

She got hers last Wednesday, I'm still waiting on mine. We filed a few minutes apart
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,772
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Tax Season!

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Thats strange. I swore last year my refund came within like 2-3 days after filing
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Tax Season!

Postby shmenguin on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:07 am

it took like 4 days to get my federal return back. my NJ state return is still pending
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,792
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Tax Season!

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:58 am

mac5155 wrote:My fiancee got hers about 6 days after e filing. Mine took longer cause of education forms, specifically 8863.


I had education forms on it and got it in 8 days. FYI.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,611
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Tax Season!

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:02 pm

they are processing mine. if i cared, i could look up the status of it. lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,772
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Tax Season!

Postby pfim on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Mine was held up by the lifetime learning credit, but it was approved last week and I'm just awaiting funds.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Tax Season!

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:09 pm

pfim wrote:Mine was held up by the lifetime learning credit, but it was approved last week and I'm just awaiting funds.


samesies.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,772
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Tax Season!

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Ugh.......

My wife makes a fair bit more than I do, like more than 2x. Sitting here going over our docs before sending them off to our preparator, and her total withholdings (federal, state, local) is more than half my gross salary.

She was like, "This isn't enough to make me a Republican but..... holy sh|t!!!"
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,415
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Tax Season!

Postby relantel on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 pm

so... nice marriage penalty on the child tax credit! The difference of that credit versus last year is greater than the amount our refund went down. Add that to the payroll taxes going up at least $100/mo... Greedy government.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,190
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Tax Season!

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 am

relantel wrote:so... nice marriage penalty on the child tax credit! The difference of that credit versus last year is greater than the amount our refund went down. Add that to the payroll taxes going up at least $100/mo... Greedy government.



wait...what? I am married and have a kid, please give me more info!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,575
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Tax Season!

Postby Guinness on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:33 am

tifosi77 wrote:Ugh.......

My wife makes a fair bit more than I do, like more than 2x. Sitting here going over our docs before sending them off to our preparator, and her total withholdings (federal, state, local) is more than half my gross salary.

She was like, "This isn't enough to make me a Republican but..... holy sh|t!!!"


:lol:

Ask her if I could show her something in a libertarian, perhaps. ;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Tax Season!

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:55 am

tifosi77 wrote:Ugh.......

My wife makes a fair bit more than I do, like more than 2x. Sitting here going over our docs before sending them off to our preparator, and her total withholdings (federal, state, local) is more than half my gross salary.

She was like, "This isn't enough to make me a Republican but..... holy sh|t!!!"

Man, right now my wife is my sugar momma as well. It's so emasculating.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,857
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Tax Season!

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 am

Guinness wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Ugh.......

My wife makes a fair bit more than I do, like more than 2x. Sitting here going over our docs before sending them off to our preparator, and her total withholdings (federal, state, local) is more than half my gross salary.

She was like, "This isn't enough to make me a Republican but..... holy sh|t!!!"


:lol:

Ask her if I could show her something in a libertarian, perhaps. ;)


:thumb: :fist:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,254
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Tax Season!

Postby relantel on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 am

JeffDFD wrote:
relantel wrote:so... nice marriage penalty on the child tax credit! The difference of that credit versus last year is greater than the amount our refund went down. Add that to the payroll taxes going up at least $100/mo... Greedy government.



wait...what? I am married and have a kid, please give me more info!

the ceiling on the child tax credit is x for singe filers, but not 2x for married filers (Its a little under 1.5x). Normally it is $1000 per child credit toward tax owed (as opposed to the way deductions are handled, which reduce taxable income), but it is reduced by $50 for every $1000 above the ceiling. Ours went down from $1800 last year to almost nothing this time.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,190
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Tax Season!

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Man, right now my wife is my sugar momma as well. It's so emasculating.

1) Just because she makes a lot more than me she is not my 'sugar momma'.

and

2) Sack the eff up. There's nothing emasculating about a woman making more money than you. (I could go on with an 'unless' section, but personal attacks are verboten)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,415
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Tax Season!

Postby pfim on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:39 am

Image
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Tax Season!

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Man, right now my wife is my sugar momma as well. It's so emasculating.

1) Just because she makes a lot more than me she is not my 'sugar momma'.

and

2) Sack the eff up. There's nothing emasculating about a woman making more money than you. (I could go on with an 'unless' section, but personal attacks are verboten)

It was all very tongue in cheek. :thumb:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,857
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Tax Season!

Postby legame on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:53 pm

I quit my teaching job last June and went back to grad school full time. My return this year definitely helps...
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,934
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Wilmywood, NC

Re: Tax Season!

Postby Tomas on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:25 pm

An interesting tax deductible item:

Rapper Jim Jones is figuring out how to deal with Uncle Sam next month, and he's considering deducting expenses on his income tax for making it rain. Well guess what, in theory he might have a fighting chance of winning.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/03/05/rappers-s ... z2MgfVAiID
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,279
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:21 am

Re: Tax Season!

Postby MWB on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Man, right now my wife is my sugar momma as well. It's so emasculating.

1) Just because she makes a lot more than me she is not my 'sugar momma'.

and

2) Sack the eff up. There's nothing emasculating about a woman making more money than you. (I could go on with an 'unless' section, but personal attacks are verboten)

It was all very tongue in cheek. :thumb:


If you're going to teach, gotta expect it. My situation is more extreme than tif's in terms of salary disparity.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,766
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Tax Season!

Postby eddysnake on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:57 pm

relantel wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:
relantel wrote:so... nice marriage penalty on the child tax credit! The difference of that credit versus last year is greater than the amount our refund went down. Add that to the payroll taxes going up at least $100/mo... Greedy government.



wait...what? I am married and have a kid, please give me more info!

the ceiling on the child tax credit is x for singe filers, but not 2x for married filers (Its a little under 1.5x). Normally it is $1000 per child credit toward tax owed (as opposed to the way deductions are handled, which reduce taxable income), but it is reduced by $50 for every $1000 above the ceiling. Ours went down from $1800 last year to almost nothing this time.


did my taxes over the weekend, and I got the biggest return to date. Filed with 3 kids last year and mine ended up going up this year ?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,142
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Tax Season!

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:24 pm

MWB wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Man, right now my wife is my sugar momma as well. It's so emasculating.

1) Just because she makes a lot more than me she is not my 'sugar momma'.

and

2) Sack the eff up. There's nothing emasculating about a woman making more money than you. (I could go on with an 'unless' section, but personal attacks are verboten)

It was all very tongue in cheek. :thumb:


If you're going to teach, gotta expect it. My situation is more extreme than tif's in terms of salary disparity.

Been working everyday, they seem to like me.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,857
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Tax Season!

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 pm

new jersey is asking me to send in copies of all my documents before they take 90 more days to process my refund.

-charges you a zillion dollars in property tax
-acts confused when you're due for a refund

makes sense.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,792
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, joopen, mikey287, Rocco and 10 guests


e-mail