Game 26- Day after thoughts- Islanders

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 26- Day after thoughts- Islanders

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:22 am

8-) I was sick, 2 stuff ears and head listening to Mike Lange.
Congrats to C Kunitz, record game! (can't believe he is 33)
I kept hearing M Lange say, Sid is cleaning up in D zone~ other words, Sid was flying.
Good game T Vokoun.

Flying monkeys at the game, or my dream. :wink: :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Game 26- Day after thoughts- Islanders

Postby Froggy on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am

5ass=1.66g
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am

That game was a complete beat down. The Isles had no answer for Kunitz and looked helpless. No stick checking, no positioning, nothing. Heartless.

Man, does Bennett look like he belongs or what? The more minutes he gets the better he is getting.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby duke66 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 am

maybe mentioned somewhere else, but why didn`t sid get an assist on the 5th goal? he passed to letang, who shot, hit the goalie, and the rebound was put in by neal. those are usually automatic assists in the nhl? should have had 6 helpers!!
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Man, does Bennett look like he belongs or what? The more minutes he gets the better he is getting.

He looks very calm with the puck. Last night, there were several situations in the defensive zone where he could have panicked - but calmly stickhandled to a slightly better position and made a play to get us out. That is heady stuff for a kid with so little seasoning due to injuries.

His offensive game right now seems to be more about distribution, but I can't wait until his wrist is fully recovered strength-wise so we can see the wrister he supposedly possesses.

He is one player where +/- doesn't lie. Extremely sound defensively. Very slick with his stick to separate pucks.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:52 am

It's interesting, I don't recall BB be touted as such a strong defensive player.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 am

penny lane wrote:Flying monkeys at the game, or my dream. :wink: :P

I was hoping to get one of those on eBay. Now with most of them in the trash bin at Consol, the aftermarket supply will be slim.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 am

The Snapshot wrote:
penny lane wrote:Flying monkeys at the game, or my dream. :wink: :P

I was hoping to get one of those on eBay. Now with most of them in the trash bin at Consol, the aftermarket supply will be slim.

Had Dupuis completed it, they'd have all been gone. I'm not sure who used my tickets, but i'll see if I can get one if they still have it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 am

duke66 wrote:maybe mentioned somewhere else, but why didn`t sid get an assist on the 5th goal? he passed to letang, who shot, hit the goalie, and the rebound was put in by neal. those are usually automatic assists in the nhl? should have had 6 helpers!!

Neal scored on a breakaway.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am

columbia wrote:It's interesting, I don't recall BB be touted as such a strong defensive player.

Let's hope it's not luck.... :?

I noticed him getting his stick around from behind guys in the last few games without ever coming close to a penalty. Hopefully he isn't just doing it for now as a rookie to impress.

It is possible if he keeps this up that he can rub off on some of the vets. He is not a guy to do a "fly by" and he always seems to want to start the sequence from the proper side of the opponent.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:58 am

its amazing to me how the Isles have looked so good sometimes this season and others they look REALLY bad like last night. Besides the first few shifts, they were dominated all night and had no chance at all.

it was nice to have a relaxed game instead of a nail bitter. I'll admit when they scored to make it 3-1 i was feeling nervous because they had a few chances after that but we weathered the storm and Koon scored.

pens did play good defense last night and i still like how Eaton is playing, everyone seemed to me meh about him and say hes old n blah blah but hes been solid, its nice to see him back.

I would like to see the third line produce a bit more and that 4th line is a mess
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:58 am

columbia wrote:It's interesting, I don't recall BB be touted as such a strong defensive player.

this and his compete level. i expected a guy with such a goofy name to be a floater. dude gets his hands dirty.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 am

iWonTheCup87 wrote:its amazing to me how the Isles have looked so good sometimes this season and others they look REALLY bad like last night. Besides the first few shifts, they were dominated all night and had no chance at all.

it was nice to have a relaxed game instead of a nail bitter. I'll admit when they scored to make it 3-1 i was feeling nervous because they had a few chances after that but we weathered the storm and Koon scored.

pens did play good defense last night and i still like how Eaton is playing, everyone seemed to me meh about him and say hes old n blah blah but hes been solid, its nice to see him back.

I would like to see the third line produce a bit more and that 4th line is a mess

I was gonna say they have a young team, but they really don't. I guess they go as Tavares goes maybe? He's pretty hot and cold.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 am

- Kudos to 1st line and the team defensive effort. Made Isles pay for their mistakes, poor draft choices, coaching strategy, fan base, jersey selection.... ;)
- Steigy & Bob made a point to Pens fans - "focus on the good", how we are "blessed to watch", etc etc. We got the point the 1st 2 times they said it. (They are not wrong, just overkill)
- I always cringe prior to games following big Pen's wins. Sometimes Pens play sucky next game, but this was a strong defensive effort throughout, so hopefully no bad habits formed
- Agree, Beau just look like he belongs.
- Sid was amazing yet again. I hope he continues to shoot when he gets a chance. Not complaining, he passed up some great shot opps, I like him shooting, keeps goalies honest
- I really like that Engellend sat. Not that I'm disappointed in his play, just like to see everyone get playing time and the chance to rest.
- Funny delay of game call on MacDonald (They tried to put another D in box). I loved how that Dman was on the ice for the ppgoal anyway, he should have stayed in box ;)
- Did Bob/Steigy say that someone has "sock monkey" as a nickname?
- Pic of the night for me - top line all huddled together on the bench smiling & laughing.... enjoying the 6-1 lead late in third. Kunitz was "smiling like a butcher's dog"
- 4th line issues continued (even vs. Isles 4th line)
- Thanks for starting this Penny, monday morning madness messed my mind meaningfully
Last edited by Penspal on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 am

Not to be a debbie downer but the islanders where very lethargic last night and its great to get a 6-1 win, they just sucked. We need games like this but i don't think any of the problems people have been complaining about have been solved
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 am

Eaton +4, with 58-9-14-87 all +3. I'm guessing Engelland will have a difficult time getting back in the lineup.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 am

duke66 wrote:maybe mentioned somewhere else, but why didn`t sid get an assist on the 5th goal? he passed to letang, who shot, hit the goalie, and the rebound was put in by neal. those are usually automatic assists in the nhl? should have had 6 helpers!!

You're confusing Kunitz's 3rd goal with Neal's breakaway goal.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 am

- Winger for Sid? Starting to re-think my love for "Iginla to Pens"
- Each and ever game I am liking Beau.
- Not underscoring our need for him but for that game... "Geno who?" Who knows what the score would have been if he were on the ice! :shock:
- I feel bad for Despres on that play, rookie blunder but really.. it could have happened to anyone.
- Was that the same Vokoun as we have seen all year or were the Isles that bad in this game?
- I WANT A SOCK MONKEY!!!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:19 am

Penspal wrote:- 4th line issues continued (even vs. Isles 4th line)

By far the biggest concern for the stretch and playoffs. Again, Tanner Glass looked absolutely inept with the puck. He makes Adams look skilled.

Team D is something that is a mindset, but I am not sure that the line's struggles can be tied to a mindset or confidence. I just think the two wings on that line have ZERO ability with the puck, and that results in them being pinned too often in our zone.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 am

The Snapshot wrote:

By far the biggest concern for the stretch and playoffs. Again, Tanner Glass looked absolutely inept with the puck. He makes Adams look skilled.

Team D is something that is a mindset, but I am not sure that the line's struggles can be tied to a mindset or confidence. I just think the two wings on that line have ZERO ability with the puck, and that results in them being pinned too often in our zone.

Who would you like to replace Glass?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

relantel wrote:Eaton +4, with 58-9-14-87 all +3. I'm guessing Engelland will have a difficult time getting back in the lineup.

No, Despres fell down on the bad ice, and Boyes scored shortly thereafter. Despres will be a healthy scratch next game.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

not really related to this game and doesnt mean much but i found it interesting the pens are the only team without an overtime loss
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:29 am

iWonTheCup87 wrote:not really related to this game and doesnt mean much but i found it interesting the pens are the only team without an overtime loss

Letang really excels in that situation. 8-)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:32 am

meow wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Who would you like to replace Glass?

Cal Clutterbuck.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby duke66 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 am

meow wrote:

Neal scored on a breakaway.

yes i now see that. the highlites on tsn were off then, could have sworn the 5th goal was a rebound for neal. oh well 5 assists ain`t bad!!
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins