What do the Penguins need?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What do the Penguins need?

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:28 am

Beveridge wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:Pens either need a 3rd line RW to make that line harder to play against, or a new RW for Crosby so Dupuis can move down and fill that role. I'm not sure what to do about the 4th line, but that group has not been effective for us. I like Jeffrey as a player, but Vitale is a better fit for the 4th line. Id rather see DJ take Adams' spot than Vitale's.

Why is Dupuis a problem?

He doesn't say Dupuis is a problem. He's saying Dupuis is probably a better option for the 3rd line than anyone out there if we did get someone to plug in with sid and kunitz. Not that we need someone other than Dupuis, but I agree with the premise of the unspoken.

Bingo. I'm perfectly fine with Dupuis playing with Sid. However, if we did get a guy like Iginla as has been speculated, I'd put Dupuis on the 3rd line and instantly upgrade that group. The 3rd line needs a shot in the arm.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:17 am

All along, what they really needed was... each-other.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:46 am

Bottom lines winger and 3rd pairing vet D IS ALL WE NEED! Dupuis deserves top line!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:55 am

i dont think they need a guerin. they have enough vets with rings to fill that role multiple times over. i think they need some discipline on the blueline, and thats about it. someone teach them how to clear the crease please.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lifetimefan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:30 am

Fourth line is a combined -22. Next question?
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 am

lifetimefan wrote:Fourth line is a combined -22. Next question?

Who cares about +/-?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 am

Not sure if the Cats would be willing to deal, but a guy I'd love to see on the pens 4th line is Jerred Smithson. He kind of like what I always hoped KV would at the very least develop into...but never did.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:45 am

Pens need tomas sandstrom to replace tk and one of the samuelssons, ulf or kjell, to replace nisky. wake up cp.
Who's available that fits those molds? Your guess is as good as mine.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:53 am

ville5 wrote:Who's available that fits those molds?

Cal Clutterbuck and Douglas Murray. Clutterbuck could probably be had...Murray not so much...unless SJ keeps tanking.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:56 am

I don't think the Wild are going to be selling barring some kind of collapse, they're trending upwards and currently lead their division.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:59 am

CERV96 wrote:Bottom 6 forward (veteran if possible). Another top 4 dman.

This was the first reply and the correct answer. Maybe more specific and say "an aggressive, angry bottom 6 forward who can play the PK" and a "physical, defense-first top 4 dman." But that's it.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:02 am

I honestly think that they need an upgrade for two bottom six forwards and a defensemen (though Eaton had performed admirably).

You can either shift Kennedy down a line or ship him off as a part of a deal, but that 3rd line is not doing it for me.
Get Adams out of the lineup. Glass might not be what people were expecting, but at least he's not 97.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:05 am

IMO, they need an upgrade in the bottom 6 and/or a more physicsl shutdown Dman.

The first one they should easily upgrade. The second one, it will be tough to find the right balance of someone who you can get for more than a rental with what they will probably have to give up.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think the Wild are going to be selling barring some kind of collapse, they're trending upwards and currently lead their division.

Very good point. Clutterbuck's (pending RFA) availability comes down more to MIN's negotiations with him heading into the deadline.

It should also be noted that Cal, while strong and physical, really would not be an offensive upgrade over TK.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:40 am

newarenanow wrote:IMO, they need an upgrade in the bottom 6 and/or a more physicsl shutdown Dman.

The first one they should easily upgrade. The second one, it will be tough to find the right balance of someone who you can get for more than a rental with what they will probably have to give up.

If Calgary and San Jose decide to sell at all...

Sarich or Murray. Murray would be better, but he's a pending UFA and would most likely return west. Sarich is older, not nearly as physical as Murray, but no slouch in the crease either. He has one year remaining at a $2,000,000 cap hit.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 am

Isn't Sarich getting healthy scratched in CGY? Seems like he might be cooked.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:46 am

slappybrown wrote:Isn't Sarich getting healthy scratched in CGY? Seems like he might be cooked.

Is he? Honestly don't follow them enough. He still looked effective to me last season, and a change of scenery might do him good...but you're right...he may just have nada left on the tires.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Richard Zemlak on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 am

Man I'd love to get Ryan Clowe for a 3rd line winger...I think that'd be huge for us.
Richard Zemlak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 am

Immediate needs is to fix the PK/4th line. While I like to think that could be done one and the same, maybe not. Still have time to fix/adjust with existing personel.

The calls for a "crease clearing defenseman" holds merit on the PK, but maybe not at any other time. He's got to be a decent skate and be able to make a good pass, or they are PK only....

Kolarik seems to be producing on a very "light" offensive WBS squad. Curious if we'll see him called up (or someone else) with Malkin down for weeks.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:25 am

I'm thinking a lot of the issues are with puck possession. Sustained forecheck and cycling by the bottom six seem to be problematic, so that's where I would look to improve. A good role player with speed who can cycle.

As we all know, you don't give up goals when you play hard in the offensive zone. Sustained pressure leads to PP opportunities and so on.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Desiato on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:01 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:Bingo. I'm perfectly fine with Dupuis playing with Sid. However, if we did get a guy like Iginla as has been speculated, I'd put Dupuis on the 3rd line and instantly upgrade that group. The 3rd line needs a shot in the arm.

I disagree. Even if management did something crazy like trade a meaningful asset for someone like Iginla, Dupuis is not the guy the 3rd line needs. The bottom six need more true grinders with size, some speed, and an edgy game--at the cost of skill.

But the most pressing need imo is a solid defenseman. Someone who plays like Orpik. That's where the best trade asset should go.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Kaizer wrote:i dont think they need a guerin. they have enough vets with rings to fill that role multiple times over. i think they need some discipline on the blueline, and thats about it. someone teach them how to clear the crease please.

They still lose too many individual battles along the boards against tougher teams. This is what Guerin excelled at- especially transitioning out of the zone, taking a hit and getting the puck to Sid at speed. And he was able to do this against anyone. Our current wingers are good, but not in this area per se.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm

We don't need offence but a bottom 6 defensive forward that can make us tougher, that can play spot duty with Malkin and Neal in the playoffs. Kinda like a Talbot did would help. A stay at home physical guy to match up vs other teams top lines would help.

We are a cup contender we should approach the deadline with that mind set. Sids line is set and playing great. Malkin and Neal with Bennett is getting better. I just worry if we play vs Philly or Boston in the playoffs that you got a good defensive guy with physical play that can play on that line. I know its a tall order and i really can't think of a player who can fit there but i would think Shero can. From what you guys talk about Clowe he might fit this player. He also can play a 3rd line roll better than Kennedy.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

I've been clammoring for better wingers for Crosby for 2 years. Dupuis and Kunitz are making me see the light this year. Those two are fine remaining on the first line. We need a defensive d-man, size and defense for 3rd/4th lines.

Defense/2nd line - Smid and Ryan Jones for Harrington, Kennedy, and a pick
3rd line- Ott for Niskanen, mid-level prospect/pick
4th line - Jerred Smithson/Jack Skille from FL for a late round pick

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Jones
Cooke-Sutter-Ott
Smithson/Skille-Adams-Glass
x-Jeffrey,Bennett

Letang-Martin
Orpik-Smid
Eaton/Engelland/Despres as bottom pair.

Pens players going back the other way maybe altered to some degree (not my strong point assessing value), but I those three trades would help a lot. I'd remove Jones from Smid trade for Harrington and mid-pick if there was another option looked at. Smid brings help as defensive d-man, hits, blocks shots, plays PK. Jones is a bit more physical, been injured this year (eye) but has put up decent numbers past two years and has potential. I like Ott for his size and versatility, PK, hits. Smithson is a big guy, kills penalties, hits, and doesn't take a lot of penalties in return (8PIM in 24 games, 6-3 height, 59 hits). Skille is a bit smaller but serves same role (and wife/GF is from Pittsburgh)

I have concerns about Bennett being an every game player in the playoffs this year, which is why I'd like to see them pickup a player like Jones or another scorer for 2nd line, with Bennett and Jeffrey to help if injuries come about.

Calgary, Edmonton, Buffalo, Florida, Columbus, maybe Washington are going to be main sellers this year. Guys like Corey Perry, Daniel Alfredsson, Gonchar, etc, that may be UFA but on good teams, I don't see as being very available, or price may be high.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:02 pm

GaryRissling wrote:
Kaizer wrote:i dont think they need a guerin. they have enough vets with rings to fill that role multiple times over. i think they need some discipline on the blueline, and thats about it. someone teach them how to clear the crease please.

They still lose too many individual battles along the boards against tougher teams. This is what Guerin excelled at- especially transitioning out of the zone, taking a hit and getting the puck to Sid at speed. And he was able to do this against anyone. Our current wingers are good, but not in this area per se.

Maybe they need more rightys playign rw and lefties playing lw. Though sacrificing uptempo offense is really counter to their current goals.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins