3/12/2013 Bruins v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 3/12/2013 Bruins v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:I looked at my dad about halfway through the 3rd period and said "this is the best game we've played all season - working harder than we have all year and playing smarter than we have all year"

So glad it paid off for them

Even if they had lost 2-0 or 2-1 I wouldn't have been that bothered by it. It's not always about the wins and losses. I just want to see them playing the right way. It's nice that they've been able to avoid the circus the last couple days. Hopefully this is a sign that they're starting to get it and they don't relapse again.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Beveridge wrote:Bottom 6 is a legit concern minus Sutter. You can win playoff hockey without a great 4th line but you can't do it with 2 below average lines.

On another note: Adams and Glass out at the same time during even strength is scary enough. I'm tired of seeing it on the PK.

The trickle down effect on the team from having this line possess zero ability to make a play is easy to see. Along the line of the best defense being a good offense - these guys just don't fit in that mold. They consistently break momentum by getting pinned.

They also have no ability to make a play on the PK to get the clear.

More than anything on this team, these two jerseys need to be filled with different bodies.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:52 pm

relantel wrote:I didn't have a chance to freeze the screen but I thought Crosby may have gotten his stick on Kunitz's shot. Sid had his stick up around the goalie's logo.

It was close - looked like the puck changed direction there but the stick is against the black pants of Khud. so I couldn't tell.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

We like Sutter now, but I believe we'll love him in the playoffs.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:I looked at my dad about halfway through the 3rd period and said "this is the best game we've played all season - working harder than we have all year and playing smarter than we have all year"

Even if they had lost 2-0 or 2-1 I wouldn't have been that bothered by it. It's not always about the wins and losses. I just want to see them playing the right way. It's nice that they've been able to avoid the circus the last couple days. Hopefully this is a sign that they're starting to get it and they don't relapse again.

Don't worry. We got the Flyers again in 12 days. Relapse won't take long. And I hope I'm wrong.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

Exactly.

They played how they need to play to win in the playoffs. The last two games have been that way, the previous 15 or so, not so much. They need to keep showing they can play these types of games. Tonight was real impressive because it was against Boston, even though they played last night.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NeddieVedder on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:54 pm

shmenguin wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:This is the kind of game the Pens needed to prove they could win. Hopefully they keep this up.

They are near the top of the Conference. They've proven they can win.

Thanks for coming out.

what's the issue here? the pens gave up an infinite amount of goals for weeks. 2 solid games, and a "hater" starts to come around instead of doing the typical LGP, "defend your post until you die" schtick. if fleury plays 2 good games in a row, can someone bring the snark if you start complimenting him?

:fist:

murphydump55 wrote:
Jesse wrote:This was an impressive win by the Penguins for a plethora of reasons.

Once they went down 2-0, carrying the puck into the zone wasn't going to work in the face of that system. The Penguins decided to play it patient, stick to the game plan, and make a physical investment in the game.

They kept making the Bruins defense turn around, and the repeated punishment reaped some serious rewards when it mattered most. The Bruins D got abused in this game. It had the feeling from mid-second period on that if the Penguins could just solve Khudobin once, they'd open the floodgates. They did just that.

Great presence of mind by Sutter to cut straight into the passing lane on the Bruins and, more importantly, to take the shot once the Bruins defenseman laid down and completely took the passing lane to Sid away.

Make no mistake about it, this team's best defense is its ability to prolong pressure in the offensive zone and really punish the opposing team. During this 6 game run, the Penguins have knocked off two top teams in the East, Montreal and Boston. They've also beat a tricky and speedy Toronto club. And two teams that are right on the cusp in Philly and New York.

This is a pretty good hockey team.

Agreed! And sadly could be a LOT better.

Hopefully Shero's moves will mask some of Bylsma's shortcomings and vault us even more.

suspected robot. ignored
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby X-JR on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah, I know all about how teams win in the playoffs. My point is that this team, although not perfect, has won 6 in a row & came back from 2 gaols down in the 3rd period & beat what most believe to be the best of the east. And, as usual, certain folks are finding things to ***** about. Anything. Like my kids.
X-JR

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:55 pm

farnham16 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
Do you mean Fleury, or Bylsma?

Yes sorry, I meant Fleury. Fleury is the one and the only reason for the last 3 early round playoff exits by this team. Bylsma, as the coach and leader of the team, had nothing to do with it. He was actually brilliant. If they fall out early again, then no one should see any consequences but MAF because it will surely be all his fault.

Only if he gets outplayed by a munchkin, the world's oldest goalie and a Cosmonaut in successive rounds.

I'm with you man. If we blow some 3-1 series leads, lose home games, give up 30 goals in six games, and have our PK click at below 50%, then we should get rid of MAF and keep our coaches and system.

Each of those series included soul-crushing, momentum sapping goals against by Fleury. None more than the Philly series. If you want to believe that Jacques Lemaire could win with Chris Terreri in net instead of Brodeur, you should have watched some Wild games.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
X-JR wrote:With how bad our coaching, goaltending, bottom 6, &dmen are (accoroding to many on this thread). One would assume the pens were shutout 20-0 and lost not only the war, but every battle!! Buck up, folks. That's 6 in a row. We won. They lost. More positive less negative. HOLY CRAP!

Were you once Jeremy Roenick?

:fist:
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:

Exactly.

They played how they need to play to win in the playoffs. The last two games have been that way, the previous 15 or so, not so much. They need to keep showing they can play these types of games. Tonight was real impressive because it was against Boston, even though they played last night.

Of course, big picture it's just two games. All ills aren't cured. But this is a start. They've yet to go three straight games giving up less than three goals this season. I'd like to see them get there on Thurs.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Smart money would be on Flower Thusday, Vokoun Saturday, Flower Sunday? Yes?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

Totally agree. I wasn't pissed at all down 2-0.

Kind of funny how you can be happy at 0-2 and pissed off at 6-4
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
Do you mean Fleury, or Bylsma?

Yes sorry, I meant Fleury. Fleury is the one and the only reason for the last 3 early round playoff exits by this team. Bylsma, as the coach and leader of the team, had nothing to do with it. He was actually brilliant. If they fall out early again, then no one should see any consequences but MAF because it will surely be all his fault.

Only if he gets outplayed by a munchkin, the world's oldest goalie and a Cosmonaut in successive rounds.

I'm with you man. If we blow some 3-1 series leads, lose home games, give up 30 goals in six games, and have our PK click at below 50%, then we should get rid of MAF and keep our coaches and system.

Each of those series included soul-crushing, momentum sapping goals against by Fleury. None more than the Philly series. If you want to believe that Jacques Lemaire could win with Chris Terreri in net instead of Brodeur, you should have watched some Wild games.

Look, MAF was not great in any of those series. But come on, you are not being honest when you say MAF was the only reason this team has failed early in the last three playoffs. Its pretty damn hard to be good in goal when your team is constantly leaving wide open guys in front of the net and when theres a Penguin Parade to the penalty box like there was against the Flyers.

The whole team has been bad in the playoffs the last three years. That needs to change because the playoffs are all that should matter to anyone at this point.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:

Exactly.

Bylsma coached this game, and they played defense by swarming the puck and overcame early goals, never gave up.

Not the only game this season they've done it either. Seemed like folks were saying either the team couldn't or the coach couldn't get them to do it.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Side note: Time to break up 24-16-48 for good. I was just thinking, of Sutter's 13 and Cooke's 12 points, how many have been when that group was together? I'd wager that it's closer to 0 than it is to 12/13
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:01 pm

I've never judged TK on points, but he's apparently already bought his bus ticket out of town in July.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby farnham16 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:

Exactly.

Bylsma coached this game, and they played defense by swarming the puck and overcame early goals, never gave up.

Not the only game this season they've done it either. Seemed like folks were saying either the team couldn't or the coach couldn't get them to do it.

Dude, I just praised them for the past two games. Where did I say Bylsma didn't coach them?

The previous 10 games before the last two they gave up 34 goals and were showing no signs of even wanting to play defense. It was a serious problem.

They have corrected that the past two games. And they need to keep it up.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:03 pm

X-JR wrote:Yeah, I know all about how teams win in the playoffs. My point is that this team, although not perfect, has won 6 in a row & came back from 2 gaols down in the 3rd period & beat what most believe to be the best of the east. And, as usual, certain folks are finding things to ***** about. Anything. Like my kids.

12 posts and seems you've got the board figured out. good work.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Rocco wrote:
relantel wrote:I didn't have a chance to freeze the screen but I thought Crosby may have gotten his stick on Kunitz's shot. Sid had his stick up around the goalie's logo.

I thought he hit the goalie.

Puck hit the goalie's arm and caromed into the net. Just the bounce we needed cuz all the other ones were bouncing to the ice or into his glove.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Look, MAF was not great in any of those series. But come on, you are not being honest when you say MAF was the only reason this team has failed early in the last three playoffs. Its pretty damn hard to be good in goal when your team is constantly leaving wide open guys in front of the net and when theres a Penguin Parade to the penalty box like there was against the Flyers.

The whole team has been bad in the playoffs the last three years. That needs to change because the playoffs are all that should matter to anyone at this point.

Three years that mean nothing. This one is all that matters. I've recounted many times how much respect I have for NHL goalies, but the simple fact is you cannot win when your goalie gets consistently outplayed, and your lying to yourself if you say the Pens skaters did not outplay the opponent in Montreal and Tampa. The Flyers series was a mixture, but Fleury gave up 2 softies per game in that series, many on the PK as well - and ALWAYS at the worst emotional point in the games.

The reason I have so much to say is that I have played for many, many years and at a decent level - at least a level where the games meant quite a bit to me and to my teammates. The collective emotion is CRITICAL to hockey - more than systems and matchups and anything else. The MOST important player on the ice is the goalie. Fact. He has the ability to inject or extract confidence from 18 guys on his team.

People who fight that idea just don't know Hockey. Period.
Last edited by The Snapshot on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guido on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:06 pm

Pens played a pretty solid game and really limited the chances the B's actually tried to make. I was also impressed by their level of physicality against Boston.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Man, the more times I watch the second goal, the better Sutter's hands look. That's pretty slick to quickly switch to his forehand and shoot before the D could catch up.

Great freaking win.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Side note: Time to break up 24-16-48 for good. I was just thinking, of Sutter's 13 and Cooke's 12 points, how many have been when that group was together? I'd wager that it's closer to 0 than it is to 12/13

I'm ok with each of those players individually, but together the mix isn't right. Sutter is a lock at 3C, and Cooke seems best suited for that spot, so TK is the odd man out. I'd like to see DJ tried at 3rd line right wing, and if that fails, go for a player via trade to round out the top 9.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins