Mar 14, 2013 - Penguins @ Maple Leafs Official GDT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Mar 14, 2013 - Penguins @ Maple Leafs Official GDT

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Well, you know what they say.

8 is better than 7
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 pm

joe icepick wrote:I want Orpik to start hittin like that playoff game a few years back, like four guys he laid out in a row. Anyone have a video of it.

Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joe icepick on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
joe icepick wrote:I want Orpik to start hittin like that playoff game a few years back, like four guys he laid out in a row. Anyone have a video of it.

I think I do - I'll have to check. Any idea which game that was?

Dont know,but i pulled a muscled jumping around, I do remember that....like i was shot with a 50 cal
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joopen on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 pm

joe icepick wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

Dont know,but i pulled a muscled jumping around, I do remember that....like i was shot with a 50 cal

Orpik was also 5 years younger at the time
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joe icepick on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Beveridge wrote:

thats awesome.....thanks
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Grunthy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Well played game by Pittsburgh, a lot of 1-2-2 in this, defensive, not a lot of energy exerted, pretty low tempo game...I enjoyed it. Well goaltended by Marc-Andre Fleury...Crosby is just terrific again...Letang-Despres was a good pairing tonight...well officiated too, even though some of our resident whine factories might not agree...well done overall.

Since we can't complain about Fleury...I'm guessing a "trade Orpik" thread comes out of this game because his stick broke and Kunitz couldn't stay with a man...

I only had one real problem with the officiating. It was the leafs charging call. That was pretty horrendous in my opinion.

My problem was the lack of holding calls on the Leaf D, not any calls that were made. They used the free arm over and over.

I also hate when the linesman plays D for the Leafs.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:

It was 2008 SCF vs. DET. I think it was game 3? It was at Mellon, iirc.

Edit: Ah, you found it.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bioshock on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 pm

For the first time in a long time in my opinion we are seeing an extremely dangerous Pens team. A team that sticks to a plan of attack and can beat you any way the opponent chooses to play. A team that can break a goaltender.

Haven't seen this in a few years.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Weird, the best goalies in the league are the ones on defensive teams...

Tonight, we played a pretty good defensive game* and our goalie played well...

Strange how that works sometimes

* - we do have an issue with how we handle situations where 4+ men are active and 3 men are below the hash marks...there's no apparent plan on who everyone should take in those situations. It happened at least 3 times in the game by my count, so hopefully in the film room the coaching staff sees that and makes the proper adjustments...there are some holes in our in-zone coverage that need to be addressed if we're going to be successful defensively. They aren't hard to smooth over, but players have to understand their assignments and then execute.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Well played game by Pittsburgh, a lot of 1-2-2 in this, defensive, not a lot of energy exerted, pretty low tempo game...I enjoyed it. Well goaltended by Marc-Andre Fleury...Crosby is just terrific again...Letang-Despres was a good pairing tonight...well officiated too, even though some of our resident whine factories might not agree...well done overall.

Since we can't complain about Fleury...I'm guessing a "trade Orpik" thread comes out of this game because his stick broke and Kunitz couldn't stay with a man...

I only had one real problem with the officiating. It was the leafs charging call. That was pretty horrendous in my opinion.

Yeah, that also my only real beef...I didn't really get it. Otherwise, it was a well officiated game...how can you enjoy a game if the only thing you focus on is the refs doing something "wrong"? Especially in a game where we were the beneficiaries of the only stuff that was questionable...

Oh, wait, maybe, maybe, Tyler Kennedy got held in the low NZ with about 6 or 7 minutes to go...but when you get two questionable calls early in the game, you don't get that one...and I have no problem with that...

Agreed. I just enjoyed a well fought game by both teams. I also enjoyed the fact that the pens are showing a lot more patience in their play these last couple games. It is causing less turnovers and is helping them tremendously on defense. It looks like they are playing it much more simple in the defensive zone than before and it is showing for the better.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm

i'm proud of Kunitz~ all over game and at 33 , his scoring success. Pascal too. And both undrafted.
:)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Grunthy wrote:

My only problem with the officiating was when the linesman broke up Sid's rush.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NashvilleCat on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm

joe icepick wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

I'll sort through it this weekend and find it. I know I have it if it was a game we won.

I have it here's the youtube. PM me if you want it not 100% sure how great the quality is but it will be very watchable.

Last edited by NashvilleCat on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm

joopen wrote:
joe icepick wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

Orpik was also 5 years younger at the time

also minus a couple hernia operations.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:00 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Well, you know what they say.

8 is better than 7

Why is 10 afraid of 9?

Spoiler:
Because 9 8 7.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:01 pm

mikey287 wrote:Weird, the best goalies in the league are the ones on defensive teams...

* - we do have an issue with how we handle situations where 4+ men are active and 3 men are below the hash marks...there's no apparent plan on who everyone should take in those situations. It happened at least 3 times in the game by my count, so hopefully in the film room the coaching staff sees that and makes the proper adjustments...there are some holes in our in-zone coverage that need to be addressed if we're going to be successful defensively. They aren't hard to smooth over, but players have to understand their assignments and then execute.

It helps when MAF doesn't look like he's fantasizing about the burrito he had for lunch yesterday.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Goodnight, all! No GDT for me this Sat., so you guys need to do work. Cheers!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 pm

penny lane wrote:i'm proud of Kunitz~ all over game and at 33 , his scoring success. Pascal too. And both undrafted.

See how bad our scouting is? :wink:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Grunthy wrote:

My only problem with the officiating was when the linesman broke up Sid's rush.

Despres will be scratched for him vs NYR
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joe icepick on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:03 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
joe icepick wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

I'll sort through it this weekend and find it. I know I have it if it was a game we won.

I have it here's the youtube. PM me if you want it not 100% sure how great the quality is but it will be very watchable.

sweet .......thanks
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Geezer on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:05 pm

penny lane wrote:i'm proud of Kunitz~ all over game and at 33 , his scoring success. Pascal too. And both undrafted.

What's impressed me as much as their productivity is the consistent effort and intensity of Sid and both linemates. They're leading by example and it looks like it's rubbing off on their new youngsters Bennett and Sutter.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 pm

mikey287 wrote:Weird, the best goalies in the league are the ones on defensive teams...

No pucks rolled up his arm and in. You can't defend that. He was solid and we played calmer on D with that confidence. No scrambling. No panicky clears....

As for the defense though, all of the Leaf's 29 shots were well inside the box except one so it's not like Fleury was insulated. He just played solid, and seems to be getting his game back over these last two games. That makes the D look better. No 4 goals on 24 shots.

He also made some big saves on the PK. That helps the PK look better too.
Last edited by The Snapshot on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Geezer wrote:

What's impressed me as much as their productivity is the consistent effort and intensity of Sid and both linemates. They're leading by example and it looks like it's rubbing off on their new youngsters Bennett and Sutter.

Bennett impresses me with his ability to think the game. Very smart for a young player and seemingly doesn't get caught out of position. Liked his comments between periods about being too soft on the puck then going out backing it up with his play
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 pm

joopen wrote:
Geezer wrote:

Bennett impresses me with his ability to think the game. Very smart for a young player and seemingly doesn't get caught out of position. Liked his comments between periods about being too soft on the puck then going out backing it up with his play

He is VERY slick with his stick defensively. Really impressive for a young kid. Glad to see him getting constant rotation on that line.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Ilya Bryzgalov was all world when 5 guys basically stood in net with him, now? not so much despite how well he plays.

Orpik mentioned they had communication issues handling coverage below the hash marks after the Canadians game - hopefully they improve on that and are fluid with it come playoff time.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins