Game 28 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 28 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Eismann on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:45 am

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:47 am

I love a good Caruso meme, but eesh. That's a dud.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 am

slappybrown wrote:
Shakes wrote:

Pass should have been further away from the net so that he can one-time on the forehand. 2 out 10, would not view again.

Well, you just viewed it again, so :fist:
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 am

shmenguin wrote:I love a good Caruso meme, but eesh. That's a dud.

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:59 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
thepittman wrote:and we manage to bash Kennedy after another good game. Good job guys

Good is relative. I think he's gotten better over the last 3-4 games but I still don't see him out there producing as he has in the past.

We absolutely need a 40-50 point guy and a 20-25 goal guy on the 3rd line to be successful, and both guys can't be Sutter.

What? I need the third line to chip in a total of maybe a point a game, maintain a forecheck and play solid defense.

A point a game is 82 goals out of the 3rd line. What wold you expect the individual outputs to be on that basis?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 am

Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
thepittman wrote:and we manage to bash Kennedy after another good game. Good job guys

Good is relative. I think he's gotten better over the last 3-4 games but I still don't see him out there producing as he has in the past.

We absolutely need a 40-50 point guy and a 20-25 goal guy on the 3rd line to be successful, and both guys can't be Sutter.

What? I need the third line to chip in a total of maybe a point a game, maintain a forecheck and play solid defense.

A point a game is 82 goals out of the 3rd line. What wold you expect the individual outputs to be on that basis?

10 goals, 20 assists
10 goals, 15 assists
7 goals, 20 assists
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 am

Froggy wrote:If you are expecting 25 goals and 50 points out of Kennedy, then the problem isn't with Kennedy

Pretty deep inference there. I think Sutter has the ability to put up 40+ points, but he would need a 20 goal scorer to do it. TK has the ability to score 20, but has only done it once.

Again, they can't be the same guy, because we had that guy once, and they are expensive 3rd liners:

Spoiler:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:22 am

tfrizz wrote:
Froggy wrote:If you are expecting 25 goals and 50 points out of Kennedy, then the problem isn't with Kennedy

Yeah, those are pretty lofty expectations. However...

Career GP: 354
Career Goals: 73
Career Assists: 89

82-Game Pace: 17 goals, 21 assists

It's more than reasonable to be disappointed in the lack of production from Kennedy this season. 3 goals and 2 assists in 28 games just doesn't cut it, especially when you see that Cooke has 5 goals + 7 assists and Sutter has 8 goals + 5 assists. That's a rather substantial cap from 13 and 12 points to 5 points for guys who play (mostly) on the same line.

I don't think anyone has argued that Kennedy was having a good offensive season. But if he puts up 3 or 4 more goals and like 8 or 9 assists from here on out, he'd be right on pace for his career averages, or at least close enough. Either way, it's pretty clear that he's gone after this year unless he goes absolutely nuts down the stretch and in the playoffs.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Third line getting that kind of production... man, that's some good old maui wowie.

Expecting it is like more of an out-of-body and universe experience.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Froggy wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

It's more than reasonable to be disappointed in the lack of production from Kennedy this season. 3 goals and 2 assists in 28 games just doesn't cut it, especially when you see that Cooke has 5 goals + 7 assists and Sutter has 8 goals + 5 assists. That's a rather substantial cap from 13 and 12 points to 5 points for guys who play (mostly) on the same line.

I don't think anyone has argued that Kennedy was having a good offensive season. But if he puts up 3 or 4 more goals and like 8 or 9 assists from here on out, he'd be right on pace for his career averages, or at least close enough. Either way, it's pretty clear that he's gone after this year unless he goes absolutely nuts down the stretch and in the playoffs.

If you think that his career average is what he needs to produce, then why would you think he's 'gone' if he doesn't perform above average?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:33 pm

The 3rd line should be scoring a goal every other game. In other words, in an 82 game season, 40 goals would be an acceptable total for the line. So the three guys should have 12-15 goals each. Sutter and Cooke could easily get more than that, and Kennedy typically would. But he is not scoring at all this season.

Also, is anyone else concerned with the play of Brooks Orpik? I think he played one of his worst games last night, and he's been inconsistent at best the past two seasons. He does not hit much like he used to, and leaves players wide open in front of the net way too often. I like Mikey's suggestion of getting Smid and bumping Orpik and Niskanen to the 3rd pairing. I'd leave Letang-Despres alone for like the next 10 years.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

10 goals, 20 assists
10 goals, 15 assists
7 goals, 20 assists

Nearly statistically impossible without scoing from your defense or all these guys getting some PP time. You'd have long stretches of zero points in that scenario.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:51 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Also, is anyone else concerned with the play of Brooks Orpik? I think he played one of his worst games last night, and he's been inconsistent at best the past two seasons. He does not hit much like he used to, and leaves players wide open in front of the net way too often.

Funny that you say this in that I actually remarked out loud last night about just how poor Brooks has looked lately. There is a part of me that wants to think that he is injured and can't do the basics right now but he is making so many mistakes that you can't help but get a little concerned.

Only to the biased eye could someone say that he looked better than Engo last night. Midseason funk?
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:55 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Also, is anyone else concerned with the play of Brooks Orpik? I think he played one of his worst games last night, and he's been inconsistent at best the past two seasons. He does not hit much like he used to, and leaves players wide open in front of the net way too often.

Funny that you say this in that I actually remarked out loud last night about just how poor Brooks has looked lately. There is a part of me that wants to think that he is injured and can't do the basics right now but he is making so many mistakes that you can't help but get a little concerned.

Only to the biased eye could someone say that he looked better than Engo last night. Midseason funk?

I thought engelland had a really good game last night
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Froggy wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

If you think that his career average is what he needs to produce, then why would you think he's 'gone' if he doesn't perform above average?

It doesn't seem like there is a place for him going forward on this roster. simple as that. He'll get picked up somewhere, and he'll have a nice little career. but it's generally not great to have your statistically worst year by a large margin in the last year of your contract.

is someone actually accusing ME of having unreasonable criticism of kennedy? :lol:
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:10 goals, 20 assists
10 goals, 15 assists
7 goals, 20 assists

Nearly statistically impossible without scoing from your defense or all these guys getting some PP time. You'd have long stretches of zero points in that scenario.

What? Those are pretty low expectations offensively.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 pm

I swear that some of the forum doesn't watch the games and just toes the line for blog and radio host diatribes.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Pascal Dupuis - not bad for a throw-in
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:10 goals, 20 assists
10 goals, 15 assists
7 goals, 20 assists

What? Those are pretty low expectations offensively.

They are for sure. I'm sticking to my assertion that the third line should score a goal every other game. So over an 82 game season, this should be acceptable:

15-20-35
16-19-35
14-21-35

And these are very close to the averages for TK, Cooke, and Sutter over the past three years. Only Kennedy is not producing this season, so he should be replaced.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:08 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:

Any potential injury would have nothing to do with him giving Kessel a 10-foot gap before the Leafs' first goal.

His gap control is awful and his clearing attempts + coverage are not much better.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm

cooke scored 1 ES goal assisted from either sutter or TK - and that was a set faceoff play. sutter's only scored 2 ES goals assisted by either player. i can't tell from a quick lookup, but i'd be willing to bet the vast majority of either player's production has occurred either on special teams or when put in the top 6. so it's not really like they're producing on the 3rd line and kennedy isn't. every component of that line is an offensive failure when those 3 are put together. even though i think kennedy is on his way out, that doesn't really make me believe that our 3rd line scoring will just improve by default. there's a bigger issue there.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm

thepittman wrote:I swear that some of the forum doesn't watch the games and just toes the line for blog and radio host diatribes.

Or troll LGP and shake their heads in agreement with the experts.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Froggy wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Froggy wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

It doesn't seem like there is a place for him going forward on this roster. simple as that. He'll get picked up somewhere, and he'll have a nice little career. but it's generally not great to have your statistically worst year by a large margin in the last year of your contract.

is someone actually accusing ME of having unreasonable criticism of kennedy? :lol:

I'm not even being critical of TK specifically-- I think he's doing just what he was re-signed to do -- but I'd argue that most of Sutter & Cooke's points came playing with James Neal either with Malkin or in his absence. Easier to produce points with a goal scorer... no chemistry on the standard 3rd line.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:23 pm

I do not consider my comment as a Kennedy bash per se, but simply that there are no forwards available to play right now should someone need to sit (for illness, injury or other).

No one else notice that over the last 3-4 games, Nisky is stepping up for at least one big hit?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penmyst on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Is this the day-after Toronto thread, or the Tyler Kennedy thread?
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins