NHL realignment on the table again.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NHL realignment on the table again.

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:08 pm

im sure they're not expecting the florida market to last for another 10 / 15 years, but tampa?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:10 pm

mikey287 wrote:Detroit should play in the east though, they're an eastern team...they've always had a lot of clout with the league and as much as I hate them and their horrendous fans, I don't have a problem with this really...at least, not yet.

No, they shouldn't. By longitude, they are the 15th team in the West in a 30 team league. Until something changes, i.e. an east team moves west of them, or two additional teams are added west of them, they belong in the west. Simple as that. Again, it hasn't hurt their success record, they really have no arguement other than, "we want to be in the east... waaaaaa".

edit... fixed to make shaf happy.
Last edited by Sigwolf on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Longitude :pop:

#4th, 5th, and 6th grade GeoBee winner
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Longitude :pop:

#4th, 5th, and 6th grade GeoBee winner

Congratulations... in this league as it stands, Detroit still belongs in the freaking west.

and 4th, 5th, and 6th grade are so far in the past, I don't remember a kitten thing about them...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Detroit should play in the east though, they're an eastern team...they've always had a lot of clout with the league and as much as I hate them and their horrendous fans, I don't have a problem with this really...at least, not yet.

No, they shouldn't. By longitude, they are the 15th team in the West in a 30 team league. Until something changes, i.e. an east team moves west of them, or two additional teams are added west of them, they belong in the west. Simple as that. Again, it hasn't hurt their success record, they really have no arguement other than, "we want to be in the east... waaaaaa".

edit... fixed to make shaf happy.

Bleh...I guess...again, I hate all things Red Wings, but why hurt the game by having 10:30 pm starts in the eastern time zone...but by dividing up with pure geography and not taking logistics into account, you should rightfully move Dallas and Colorado instead of Columbus and the Islanders, right? Dallas isn't within 1000 miles of anyone, they should get their own division or get moved...

I agree that their entitlement nonsense is annoying, but the Wings help the league do business, the Wings/Illitches sponsor a ton of youth hockey in Michigan and Ohio...on the plus side, maybe they'll stop whining now all together and fade into mediocrity without Lidstrom :thumb:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Am I the only one who is actually pretty excited to see this play out instead of getting drawn into the minutia of complaints that always seems to come from hockey fans anytime you suggest anything ever?
Only 50% of the eastern teams get into the playoffs instead of 57% of the western teams :scared: :cry: :scared:
SHUT UP and enjoy the pure hatred that will come out playing your own divisional foes through the first two rounds of the playoffs each and every year. That was part of what made hockey so freaking fun to watch back in the 80s and early 90s.
For me playing in the playoffs each year against Philly, New York(s), Washington, Carolina, and maybe, one day, in like a million years, Columbus is all :D :thumb: :D
So what if its hard, that is half the fun. And teams will get better and worse every year. What looks like a difficult division this year will be a totally different landscape 5 years down the road.
I'm pumped to be back in the Patrick division. Even if they will never call it that.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:50 am

What's the point of telling people to shut up?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:14 am

lol ya if you dont want to discuss it just read the nhl.com article and sign off the internet
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 am

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:Am I the only one who is actually pretty excited to see this play out instead of getting drawn into the minutia of complaints that always seems to come from hockey fans anytime you suggest anything ever?
Only 50% of the eastern teams get into the playoffs instead of 57% of the western teams :scared: :cry: :scared:
SHUT UP and enjoy the pure hatred that will come out playing your own divisional foes through the first two rounds of the playoffs each and every year. That was part of what made hockey so freaking fun to watch back in the 80s and early 90s.
For me playing in the playoffs each year against Philly, New York(s), Washington, Carolina, and maybe, one day, in like a million years, Columbus is all :D :thumb: :D
So what if its hard, that is half the fun. And teams will get better and worse every year. What looks like a difficult division this year will be a totally different landscape 5 years down the road.
I'm pumped to be back in the Patrick division. Even if they will never call it that.

no u
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I could be wrong, but with trying to make hockey relevant to a larger audience, I don't see them going with the traditional division names of people that have been dead since long before most of us have been alive.

Orr, Hull, Gretzky, Lemieux, and Howe are all still alive.

I was referring to the people that think they will go back to Patrick, Smythe, etc

I would love to see them name the divisions after the players above. But how are you going to convince Claude Lemieux that they didn't name the division after him? :lol: :lol: :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:35 am

I think there would have to be a Lindros division.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:56 am

mikey287 wrote:Pepsi Presents the Pacific Divison of the Amway Global League...

Re: that picture....Have you seen that video? It's probably the best thing on the internet
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:35 am

Oh most definitely. It's been around for so long too...I know I wasn't the first one to see it and I think I saw it like 10 years ago, still awesome today...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:46 am

I love the divisions, but I see absolutely no reason to make the playoffs so confusing. Division winners then 3-8 would be fine.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:37 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:I love the divisions, but I see absolutely no reason to make the playoffs so confusing. Division winners then 3-8 would be fine.

They apparently want to stress division rivalries and set playoff brackets that don't reseed.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:06 am

One potential snag, what happens when the two wild card team are from the other division and better than the 2nd and 3rd teams? The top seed gets screwed.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm sure it happened in the 80s and 90s when playoffs were done within the division first.

Fact is, if your excuse for not winning the cup is playing a better team than you should have played, you didn't deserve to win the cup.

Beat who you play, there is no easy path.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Beveridge wrote:I'm sure it happened in the 80s and 90s when playoffs were done within the division first.

Fact is, if your excuse for not winning the cup is playing a better team than you should have played, you didn't deserve to win the cup.

Beat who you play, there is no easy path.

:fist: agree, well said.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:47 am

how are we going to handle the bluejacket juggernaut that is coming to our division next year? 6-0-4 in their last ten. scared.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:54 am

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:how are we going to handle the bluejacket juggernaut that is coming to our division next year? 6-0-4 in their last ten. scared.

aren't we 8-2 in our last ten though?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pekkasteele on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:15 pm

I just don't like the idea that we some years plays the Rangers 3 times at home, some times 2 times, and all the different if's and but's in the scheduled between years.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:12 am

So looking a the standings, if season ended today we would play the Redwings since they are the #2 wildcard team behind Toronto and the Devils and Rangers would face each other.

I don't like this format anymore.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:24 am

So, when Phoenix moves to Quebec at the beginning of the playoffs, do they realign the realignment? Detroit should go back to the west where they are wanted.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins