Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Thought this would be of interest...since we're on a winning streak, I figure we could complain about something we know even less about! Image

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/8 ... -prospects

It's a good list, I had a minor amount of say in it...but Ian does a terrific job over there. I believe Jesse (though I don't want to speak for him) and I would both vouch for him.

At this point, I'll open up the floor to questions, I'll do my best to answer them...

The first question will be: where's Filip Forsberg. The answer to that is a two-parter: shut up and go [charcoal] yourself.

The second question will be: who was 21st? And the answer to that, in a close finish, is Anton Zlobin. Not an indictment of him though, he's been very good this year. But is still a work in progress.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:47 pm

A year from now, this article will be used as supporting evidence to trade Despres and play Pouliot 24 minutes a night with Letang. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,309
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Simon Despres:
The decision to limit ice time is common with young defensemen, but given the high level Despres has performed when given the opportunity, it does not make a lot of sense.
:thumb:

I guess if I had a question it would be: what is so special about Derrick Pouliot that he ends up #1 out of the plethora of defensemen the Pens have drafted the past few seasons?
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:47 am

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Where is Filip Forsberg? *ducks*
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,610
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:Simon Despres:
The decision to limit ice time is common with young defensemen, but given the high level Despres has performed when given the opportunity, it does not make a lot of sense.
:thumb:

I guess if I had a question it would be: what is so special about Derrick Pouliot that he ends up #1 out of the plethora of defensemen the Pens have drafted the past few seasons?


Personally, I think if you factor proximity into it: Despres makes a great case for being #1. But that's immaterial. The most upside in the organization belongs to Pouliot without a doubt. He's just major upside, oozes potential. I know it's fun to complain about him because some other list said that we should have taken someone else or however that goes (it's complete garbage)...but we weren't the only team that ranked him in or around the top 10. He's a great skater, big time vision, really an offensive catalyst. Brian Campbell/Kris Letang territory, he's trying to lean more Letang's way and get a little meaner out there...he's got a lot of tools that he can sharpen for sure. Portland is absolutely stacked in terms of talent, I think they're like 54-12 or something like that...just a dynamo season for them, they've scored twice as many goals as they've given up this year...they've got a good shot to be in the Memorial Cup and Pouliot should have a long playoffs ahead of him where he'll get to show his stuff. Terrific upside with him...just huge.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Interesting about the Portland record...I asked a friend out there whether he had been to any Winterhawks games this year and he said they were "the hot thing" in town (and tickets were harder to get).
I guess I know why now.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,309
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 pm

I am surprised that Anton Zlobin is not on that list.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,634
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Yeah, they have ridiculous talent and as long as they don't play it too cool and too cocky, they'll breeze right through to at least the Conference Finals I think. I believe in the first round they're gonna play Seattle and the Thunderbirds will be lucky if they can possess puck for three consecutive seconds...if I was betting on it, I'd take Portland to sweep and the aggregate score to be about 23 to 5 or so...it just shouldn't be remotely in question...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Mikey, which of the forward prospects do you think has the greatest likelihood of making an impact in the NHL? Do you think Agostino returns to Yale for his senior season, or does he sign with he pens?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,570
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:43 pm

pens_CT wrote:Mikey, which of the forward prospects do you think has the greatest likelihood of making an impact in the NHL? Do you think Agostino returns to Yale for his senior season, or does he sign with he pens?


I'll assume I can't use Beau Bennett to answer the first question? :D That's a little cheap I guess.

The question of upside vs. impact has me all but stumped. Blueger and Zlobin have the major upside. Agostino and Archibald have a better chance of making an impact probably. I saw a young Agostino both in HS (though my memory of that is fuzzy) and as a freshman in college...saw some potential in him, but not a massive upside. I've been told he's gotten better recently - I'm not wild about him, but I don't hate him. Archibald I've seen get much better since we've drafted him, becoming a catalyst for offense at school.

Will Agostino come out this year? Uhh...I have no inside info on that, I'll ask around after his season is over (soon) and see if I can get a read. My inclination is no. He's certainly not above and beyond at the collegiate level by any stretch. Merely a very good player. He can work on his skating a little more, he's not technically all that great IIRC...he has a good motor, he gets up and down the ice, but it's not always pretty...he's pretty aggressive though and he has decent hockey sense it looks like, he rarely is mesmerized out there...I'd let him stay another year otherwise he'd be better off starting a year in the ECHL, IMO and our AHL team depth is iffy and I still say that...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:22 pm

If you had to fill out a starting defense (based on potential) where would you fill in those top 7?

Just based on the article it sounds like something like this:
Pouliot-Despres
Morrow-Dumoulin
Harrington-Bortuzzo
Maata(X) [top 4 when playing up to potential]


It's nice knowing that we could possibly replace an entire defense in a few years if we had to.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,728
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 pm

So, in order of pure upside (no likelihood, no proximity?) how would I rank the defense?

1. Pouliot
2. Despres
3. Morrow
4. Maatta
5. Dumoulin
6. Harrington
7. D'Agostino
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:05 pm

This would be good knowledge to drop here...

OHL Coaches Poll -

Scott Harrington was voted best penalty killer in the Western Conference and, for the second straight year, ran away with voting for best defensive defenseman. No one received more voting points in any of the other categories (20 in all) in either conference for any one category than Harrington received for best defensive defenseman. So it was as close to a consensus choice as you can get basically.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:09 am

mikey287 wrote:The question of upside vs. impact has me all but stumped. Blueger and Zlobin have the major upside. Agostino and Archibald have a better chance of making an impact probably. I saw a young Agostino both in HS (though my memory of that is fuzzy) and as a freshman in college...saw some potential in him, but not a massive upside. I've been told he's gotten better recently - I'm not wild about him, but I don't hate him. Archibald I've seen get much better since we've drafted him, becoming a catalyst for offense at school


From what I've seen of Agostino, I wouldn't mind if he returned for his senior year. He likes to use his body a lot to protect the puck down low, but he still gets out-muscled by defenders a bit too much for my liking. I think another year of improving strength and balance before going pro would do him good.

Archibald, definitely, I didn't really think much of him his freshman year, but he really turned it on this year. I think he ended up like 5th or 6th in goal scoring, but what I really liked was his tenacity and physical play. He wasn't afraid to mix it up and get under people's skin, and he could surprisingly lay out players way bigger than him, despite his size. Easy to envision him mucking it up while contributing some timely offense on the 3rd line in a few years.

Any recent rumblings on Antoine Laganiere and Andrej Sustr?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,523
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:11 am

mikey287 wrote:This would be good knowledge to drop here...

OHL Coaches Poll -

Scott Harrington was voted best penalty killer in the Western Conference and, for the second straight year, ran away with voting for best defensive defenseman. No one received more voting points in any of the other categories (20 in all) in either conference for any one category than Harrington received for best defensive defenseman. So it was as close to a consensus choice as you can get basically.


Didn't Harrington also win smartest player the year before? Odd he wouldn't be on this year's list. Maybe they wanted to spread things out a bit more? He certainly didn't get dumber :lol:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,523
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:54 am

Soo most ready for NHL are Harrington and Morrow probably? Then Pouilot and Dumoulin?!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,507
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby opie22002 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:19 am

My question: why does the media not ask Bylsma why he limits Despres ice time?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,245
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:48 pm

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 am

opie22002 wrote:My question: why does the media not ask Bylsma why he limits Despres ice time?


Its a very good question. The Pens beat reports don't seem to like to ask Bylsma any tough questions.

As so many on this board and around the Penguins have said a million times, there is no reason to consistently sit Despres like Bylsma has been doing. He has been extremely good this year.

And just as an example, last game against Toronto, Despres played about 18 minutes while Engelland played about 11/12. So during the game Bylsma clearly feels more comfortable sending Despres out there.

IMO, its a case where Bylsma simply does not like scratching vets over rookies.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,418
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby Jesse on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:32 am

D'Agostino is way too low for me. I'd have him at 11th at most.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,643
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:44 am

I still don't get where Despres is being consistently scratched. He's played 20/28 games. He's never been scratched more than two games in a row.

I think the biggest factor is that the D has been pretty healthy. In recent years, this team was seemingly always missing a couple D due to injury at any given time. If that continued this year, Despres would easily be in the lineup every night. Probably playing a more prominent, less protected role too, and people would begin turning on him when they see that a young, inexperienced defenseman makes a lot of mistakes.

I think there's logic to him occasionally being scratched even if you don't agree with it. I'm not an Engelland fan but he does provide something in the way of toughness that Despres can't. Bylsma apparently thinks it's important. So he usually plays. Eaton still has utility as a PK defenseman, which for a team that is pretty bad at killing penalties is worth having in the lineup. There aren't many D on the team I'd put above him on the PK, even that this stage in his career. And they want Bortuzzo in the lineup occasionally as well. When they have generally had eight healthy D, somebody has to sit. Sometimes it's been Despres, most of the time it hasn't. I really don't think they're doing anything egregious with him and I don't think it's a sign that they're down on him.

Ultimately, I think they will restructure the D with a move or two and you'll see Despres as a regular to start the playoffs. He may occasionally be scratched then too if he's not playing well, and there's no shame in that. Letang started at the bottom of the totem pole too and he got healthy scratched in his first playoffs.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:12 am

meecrofilm wrote:
mikey287 wrote:The question of upside vs. impact has me all but stumped. Blueger and Zlobin have the major upside. Agostino and Archibald have a better chance of making an impact probably. I saw a young Agostino both in HS (though my memory of that is fuzzy) and as a freshman in college...saw some potential in him, but not a massive upside. I've been told he's gotten better recently - I'm not wild about him, but I don't hate him. Archibald I've seen get much better since we've drafted him, becoming a catalyst for offense at school


From what I've seen of Agostino, I wouldn't mind if he returned for his senior year. He likes to use his body a lot to protect the puck down low, but he still gets out-muscled by defenders a bit too much for my liking. I think another year of improving strength and balance before going pro would do him good.

Archibald, definitely, I didn't really think much of him his freshman year, but he really turned it on this year. I think he ended up like 5th or 6th in goal scoring, but what I really liked was his tenacity and physical play. He wasn't afraid to mix it up and get under people's skin, and he could surprisingly lay out players way bigger than him, despite his size. Easy to envision him mucking it up while contributing some timely offense on the 3rd line in a few years.

Any recent rumblings on Antoine Laganiere and Andrej Sustr?


I agree. And the recent rumblings are: their "family advisors" (cough) are very busy becoming "agents". Lots of interest.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:14 am

meecrofilm wrote:
mikey287 wrote:This would be good knowledge to drop here...

OHL Coaches Poll -

Scott Harrington was voted best penalty killer in the Western Conference and, for the second straight year, ran away with voting for best defensive defenseman. No one received more voting points in any of the other categories (20 in all) in either conference for any one category than Harrington received for best defensive defenseman. So it was as close to a consensus choice as you can get basically.


Didn't Harrington also win smartest player the year before? Odd he wouldn't be on this year's list. Maybe they wanted to spread things out a bit more? He certainly didn't get dumber :lol:


Yes, he did. Yes, it is. Yes, I hope so. Yes, he did?

Good point. A rookie did get put out there (Connor McDavid) and a breakout player, the smooth playmaker Charles Sarault...so I guess it was just voter fatigue from the defensive d-man award and best penalty killer.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:15 am

Pens4Life wrote:Soo most ready for NHL are Harrington and Morrow probably? Then Pouilot and Dumoulin?!


Dumoulin would rank higher in the "NHL ready" category.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:16 am

opie22002 wrote:My question: why does the media not ask Bylsma why he limits Despres ice time?


Most media in most markets don't ask poignant questions because they are scared of not getting future answers if they ask tough questions and because most media types genuinely don't know or don't care enough about the game to ask worthwhile questions.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 am

Jesse wrote:D'Agostino is way too low for me. I'd have him at 11th at most.


That's always my first critique of Ian's list "D'Agostino should be higher" :thumb:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,866
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DelPen, murphydump55 and 15 guests


e-mail