What if Shero....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What if Shero....

Postby 66-68-87-71 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:28 am

What if Shero has been planning all along to trade Letang during the season because he realizes that they would not be able to afford his next contract. And seeing the contracts handed out over the last few days only supports that notion. Does Shero have big enough stones to actually trade the Norris trophy front-runner when the team potentially could win the cup as currently constructed? Does he risk hurting the chemistry by trading a major piece?

Assuming his stones ARE big enough, what if he's able to get something done like Yakupov, Smid, and Schultz for Letang and Kennedy. I think a trade like this wouldn't significantly hurt our chances this season and would even help them in the future. When Dupuis's age catches up with him, Bennett could eventually play with Sid and Yakupov could play with Malkin and Neil. Smid is a solid D-man who could help now and Schultz has offensive upside. Add in a combination of Depres, Morrow, Pouliot, Maata, Harrington, and Dumoulin and you still have a great young d-core with Letang out of the fold.
66-68-87-71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: What if Shero....

Postby Gaucho on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 am

I guess it takes big stones to do things that make little sense.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 am

66-68-87-71 wrote:What if Shero has been planning all along to trade Letang during the season because he realizes that they would not be able to afford his next contract. And seeing the contracts handed out over the last few days only supports that notion. Does Shero have big enough stones to actually trade the Norris trophy front-runner when the team potentially could win the cup as currently constructed? Does he risk hurting the chemistry by trading a major piece?

Assuming his stones ARE big enough, what if he's able to get something done like Yakupov, Smid, and Schultz for Letang and Kennedy. I think a trade like this wouldn't significantly hurt our chances this season and would even help them in the future. When Dupuis's age catches up with him, Bennett could eventually play with Sid and Yakupov could play with Malkin and Neil. Smid is a solid D-man who could help now and Schultz has offensive upside. Add in a combination of Depres, Morrow, Pouliot, Maata, Harrington, and Dumoulin and you still have a great young d-core with Letang out of the fold.

While Letang's value is at its highest, I think you are dreaming if you think that's a return you'll get. Yakupov is a number 1 pick with huge upside and if you're talking about Justin Schultz, not Nick, then that would a hard trade to pull off.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:55 am

All is lost when you spell it Neil.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:25 am

If they trade Letang, they'll do it this summer as they did with Staal last year. I assume their intention is to try to win the Cup this year. They're not going to trade one of their best players mid-season if that's their goal. They'll trade him this summer or even just ride it out through next season with him. Or they'll keep him.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:04 am

The team just tried to sign Parise to an expensive contract. Letang is more valuable to this team than Parise would have been. He'll also sign for a cheaper contract. They would trade Martin before trading Letang, unless Kris just didnt want to sign here.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 am

Agreed with the last 2 posts. Shero will find a way to keep Letang, if Letang wants to stay here.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:13 am

My guess is that when it's all said and done, by the finish of next season Letang and Orpik will still be here while Martin and Niskanen will not.

If they trade a prominent D this year, Niskanen makes the most sense IMO. He's redundant with Letang, Martin, and Despres in the lineup. Not a good PK. Not particularly tough or physical. He's signed through next season at a reasonable rate. He's got pretty solid value. They can move him, pick up a D to replace him that will bring things that the current D is lacking, and transition Despres to playing every night.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:15 am

Henry Hank wrote:If they trade Letang, they'll do it this summer as they did with Staal last year. I assume their intention is to try to win the Cup this year. They're not going to trade one of their best players mid-season if that's their goal. They'll trade him this summer or even just ride it out through next season with him. Or they'll keep him.

Wow, really going out on a limb with these options, eh? :wink:

I think they'll extend him.

I think OE-L's contract at $5.5M AAV was interesting. Different style players obviously, but Tanger should get something similar I would think. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Pietrangelo. These contracts set the bar.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:18 am

Shakes wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:If they trade Letang, they'll do it this summer as they did with Staal last year. I assume their intention is to try to win the Cup this year. They're not going to trade one of their best players mid-season if that's their goal. They'll trade him this summer or even just ride it out through next season with him. Or they'll keep him.

Ha, I realized that as I was submitting post. Point is, the one thing they won't do is trade him now. Anything after remains a possibility. Most likely, I think he stays.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:25 am

Henry Hank wrote:
Shakes wrote:

Ha, I realized that as I was submitting post. Point is, the one thing they won't do is trade him now. Anything after remains a possibility. Most likely, I think he stays.

Yeah, just having a laugh. I agree that it would take something truly remarkable for them to trade him during this season.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 am

Shakes wrote:

I think OE-L's contract at $5.5M AAV was interesting. Different style players obviously, but Tanger should get something similar I would think. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Pietrangelo. These contracts set the bar.

Exactly. $6 million for Letang is not too expensive. He should get about a $50 million contract over 8 years. It doesn't kick in until 2014, when the cap will be back up again. I really don't think they'll have a problem keeping him plus Martin for the last year of his contract. If things get tight, Orpik will simply not be re-signed. His spot will be taken by a guy on an EL contract.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:33 am

66-68-87-71 wrote:Assuming his stones ARE big enough, what if he's able to get something done like Yakupov, Smid, and Schultz for Letang and Kennedy.

So...why would the Edmonton Oilers do this trade? They give up 3 pretty good talents for 1 great talent and 1 3rd liner. It doesn't make sense.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jcgopens on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:44 am

66-68-87-71 wrote:What if Shero has been planning all along to trade Letang during the season because he realizes that they would not be able to afford his next contract. And seeing the contracts handed out over the last few days only supports that notion. Does Shero have big enough stones to actually trade the Norris trophy front-runner when the team potentially could win the cup as currently constructed? Does he risk hurting the chemistry by trading a major piece?

Sounds like something Rob Rossi would write - in fact, he probably saw this and is submitting his article now.

It makes no sense.
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:48 am

Rossi is kind of like the Giorgio of hockey writers.

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jcgopens on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:54 am

columbia wrote:Rossi is kind of like the Giorgio of hockey writers.

:fist:
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TPW on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:57 am

Henry Hank wrote:My guess is that when it's all said and done, by the finish of next season Letang and Orpik will still be here while Martin and Niskanen will not.

How does Martin go? Shero already asked if he wanted out, and Martin said no. I doubt his opinion would change now that he's improved significantly, and if I remember correctly, he has a no-trade clause? I could be wrong.
TPW
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:05 am

pcm wrote:
Shakes wrote:

Exactly. $6 million for Letang is not too expensive. He should get about a $50 million contract over 8 years. It doesn't kick in until 2014, when the cap will be back up again. I really don't think they'll have a problem keeping him plus Martin for the last year of his contract. If things get tight, Orpik will simply not be re-signed. His spot will be taken by a guy on an EL contract.

Shero's given himself flexibility for 2014-15, especially for his defense. The Pens currently have only the $5M for Martin on the books for that season. Depending on how certain players develop/age through the end of next season, he can make some decisions.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stevec82 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:22 am

I always laugh when people come up with the idea that since we cant afford somebody possibly we will trade them for 3+ players. If you cant afford one player how do you plan on paying 3 players in return when their contracts come up?
stevec82
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:25 am

TPW wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:My guess is that when it's all said and done, by the finish of next season Letang and Orpik will still be here while Martin and Niskanen will not.

How does Martin go? Shero already asked if he wanted out, and Martin said no. I doubt his opinion would change now that he's improved significantly, and if I remember correctly, he has a no-trade clause? I could be wrong.

My mistake on that, I thought he was a UFA after next season. Just shift it a season further. By summer of 2015, I see only two of the current top four still being around, Letang and Orpik most likely.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:31 am

Gaucho wrote:I guess it takes big stones to do things that make little sense.

My life is living testament to that truism. :D
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:36 am

Henry Hank wrote:
TPW wrote:

My mistake on that, I thought he was a UFA after next season. Just shift it a season further. By summer of 2015, I see only two of the current top four still being around, Letang and Orpik most likely.

Orpik will be 35 at that point. With his health, not sure he would be staying/still playing by then.

Plus, I'd take Martin over Orpik in a heartbeat.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:44 am

stevec82 wrote:I always laugh when people come up with the idea that since we cant afford somebody possibly we will trade them for 3+ players. If you cant afford one player how do you plan on paying 3 players in return when their contracts come up?

Because they take up 3+ roster spots instead of one? If we go with the proposed trade (which I think is close to a pipe dream though I'd love Nail and Ladi) then that removes the salaries of Kennedy, Letang, and probably makes Orpik expendable in the future. I think people would be surprised how well this team would play without Letang (with the inclusion of other talent obviously), considering they are playing great hockey without the second best player in the world right now. However, I dont think Shero will deal him now, if at all. If he wins the Norris his value on increases from here.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:49 am

Martin is about the same age as Orpik, though, and they have a large pipeline of D with a similar skill set. There'd be no point in drafting all these D if they're going to pay Martin big money for his mid-to-late 30's years.

I see Orpik being a Pens lifer. His play has stunk this season, but so did Martin's last season. I expect that he still has a number of effective seasons left in him. I do think, though, that he'll have to sign a contract that reflects the fact that his role will be decreasing as the years go on.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 66-68-87-71 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 am

I don't think Shero will trade Letang in season but I think it was definitely a possibility he considered when the season started. Those who think it's impossible to trade a superstar mid-season probably should look back at the early 90's for plently of examples that actually helped teams win cups. Freeing up salaries of Letang and someone like Nisky or Kennedy, give us flexibility now and next year when the cap goes down. The guys coming back over could still be on entry-level deals which would last a few more years until they become unaffordable and by then our own d prospects could be ready to step in. It's a cycle that could work. I doubt all of the scouts at games of late have been solely looking at Depres. There is obviously other players that have them intrigued.
66-68-87-71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins