Trouble in Steubenville...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trouble in Steubenville...

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:48 am

Let's get the important part: will they be scholarship eligible, once they've served their time?
I mean.....such promising young men shouldn't be cut down in their prime.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:50 am

: Ohio AG wants a grand jury empaneled to consider whether there should be additional charges. There were 16 witnesses that refused to speak. I'm hoping they go after Reno too, considering one of Malik's texts read "I got Reno, he took care of it."
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 am

1) welcome to America

2) Noone will remember their names in 5 or 10 years.

They got off so light. Sorry for sending texts and pictures, not sorry for raping a person.. ugh.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:1) welcome to America

2) Noone will remember their names in 5 or 10 years.

They got off so light. Sorry for sending texts and pictures, not sorry for raping a person.. ugh.

My thoughts exactly. Can you even name the two rapists without looking up their names? I'll bet most can't.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:05 pm

You guys are too emotionally over this.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:16 pm

Huh? A local town gained worldwide recognition and was torn apart over this, a young girls life ruined. Some of the evidence presented was heartbreakingly deplorable even if you have no ties to anyone involved. And it appears grown adults allowed it to happen, almost without any punishment
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Ok, and the justice system isn't about revenge like you guys want. At least it shouldn't be.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Still not getting where you're commin from man. These guys could possibly just serve a year in a juvy center only because they were young enough when they did this. I know it's the system, but u can't blame people for wishing they got harsher punishments. I mean these kids were hash tagging #rapecrew in their tweets and that nodanas video he referenced another rape that took place at a party last April. This could have been a serial rape thing and these kids were bragging about it. I see no problem with people thinking they got/ will get off light
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Bioshock wrote:So, all in all, if things go right for these guys, they could be off completely free with nothing legal following them by the age of 21 at the latest?

Wow...

Well, if you consider rape convictions which likely require them to register as sex offenders "nothing", then sure.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:47 pm

That's the thing, I don't think that was decided yet. The defense attorney was speaking to the judge about considering not making them register, or at best make them register as juvenile sex offenders up until they are 21
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 pm

The idea they got off light is bunk though. They will spend 2 years in prison where they will probably turn into societal detriments (if statistics are to be believed) and they will continue being in and out of jail for life. Any attempt at meaningful employment will fail because rape is never forgiven (still haven't been capable of deciding on how it should be handled). Example of this is Ben Roethlisberger or the Duke Lacrosse team (both are alleged, but being associated has negatively affected them.) Has Ben had a meaningful sponsor since? I recall the Duke Lacrosse team having major issues getting life back on track after their ordeal. Rape is not forgiven like everything else. The idea they got off light is bunk.

The average sentence in the US is 11 years, with 5 years being served. That is around the average for rape worldwide (haven't found much anywhere else). In Norway, a country known for having low rates of people returning to prison) the sentence is 3+ years for a situation similar to the one we find ourselves in.

Finally, what if after the 3 years the kids become vocal advocates in trying to deter the activity they themselves involved themselves? They shouldn't be tossed in prison for 20 years to "pay for ruining another's life". I am hopeful that the girl will be able to become productive, albeit quite reserved and protective of herself apprehensive of men until she finds a significant other or a great support group and she will eventually be able to get on with her life.

This is more or less a stream of conscious thought, so sorry for the poor writing.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
60sixx wrote:Wow............min til 18, max to 21 for Mays.

If they were tried as adults...they'd be going for to prison for a long time. The courts did them a favor in that aspect.

Which is crap..those guys knew exactly what they were doing.

Yup, I agree. I also think that the coach knew about this crap and he should be brought up on charges.

The point of not trying as an adult is to ensure that a mistake in youth doesn't destroy your entire life, or worse turn someone that could be rehabilitated into a product of the institution for a lifetime. I would argue that these two are already a product of the institution, just not the corrections institution... they are a product of a culture that encourages this type of behavior, and these guys just escalated to a pretty dark point.

I think its the coach that should be sent away for life. Probably not even the worst thing that guy has done.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Already an arrest made for social media threats against Jane Doe. Search #FreeTrent and #FreeMalik on twitter. No ones learned a thing. Nothing.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Seems like a societal failure to me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Rylan wrote:Seems like a societal failure to me.

Yep. Complete culture problem in that town.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:05 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:

Yep. Complete culture issue in that town.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:09 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:

Yep. Complete culture issue in that town.

This is why I'm so pissed. These people don't care. No one has learned a thing. Perfectly fine to rape as long as football isn't affected.

These people are sub-human. I would say something much stronger on this subject but this topic would be closed and i would probably be banned.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:04 pm

*Didnt meant to quote myself above
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby obhave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Rylan wrote:Finally, what if after the 3 years the kids become vocal advocates in trying to deter the activity they themselves involved themselves? They shouldn't be tossed in prison for 20 years to "pay for ruining another's life". I am hopeful that the girl will be able to become productive, albeit quite reserved and protective of herself apprehensive of men until she finds a significant other or a great support group and she will eventually be able to get on with her life.

That is a HUGE what if. I'm not sure I understand why someone shouldn't go to jail for a long time for "ruining another's life," especially in this way. I agree that 20 years is extremely excessive, but 2 years is a disgrace.

This poor girl has a huge up hill battle to get to normal life, and I will be honest, she probably never will. It is going to be hard for her to ever feel safe. There needs to be a huge societal change in that town and throughout the country. More education on how to prevent rape and the meaning of consent.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:34 pm

obhave wrote:
Rylan wrote:Finally, what if after the 3 years the kids become vocal advocates in trying to deter the activity they themselves involved themselves? They shouldn't be tossed in prison for 20 years to "pay for ruining another's life". I am hopeful that the girl will be able to become productive, albeit quite reserved and protective of herself apprehensive of men until she finds a significant other or a great support group and she will eventually be able to get on with her life.

That is a HUGE what if. I'm not sure I understand why someone shouldn't go to jail for a long time for "ruining another's life," especially in this way. I agree that 20 years is extremely excessive, but 2 years is a disgrace.

This poor girl has a huge up hill battle to get to normal life, and I will be honest, she probably never will. It is going to be hard for her to ever feel safe. There needs to be a huge
societal change in that town and throughout the country. More education on how to prevent rape and the meaning of consent.

The point is condemnation and not rehabilitation is a major issue with the United States Penal System. The longer they are in prison the less likely they to ever become apart of a functional society. But I am in agreement that 2 years is lenient, but I am staunchly against throwing them in a cell for 20 years. That does absolutely nothing. The victim isn't helped, and the perpetrators aren't help. All that creates are more lifetime criminals (obviously there are stories of those that survive on the outside after long stints, but that is few and far between).

Long way of saying, yes it is a big what if, but the point remains that the potential is a better alternative than making lifelong criminals.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 pm

This whole thing is disgusting. I hope they are at least investigating the coach's role in this... methinks his hands are dirty.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:55 pm

the wicked child wrote:This whole thing is disgusting. I hope they are at least investigating the coach's role in this... methinks his hands are dirty.

http://deadspin.com/why-does-steubenvilles-football-coach-still-have-his-j-455800918?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stopper40 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:11 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:This whole thing is disgusting. I hope they are at least investigating the coach's role in this... methinks his hands are dirty.

http://deadspin.com/why-does-steubenvilles-football-coach-still-have-his-j-455800918?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

My god I hate people. Just sickening
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby obhave on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:38 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/1 ... l?ir=Media

It's awful that no news site would have the foresight to censor her name. As minors, I don't think the boys should have their names published either, but at this point we are so far beyond that.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Wow :face:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR