Get Sutter a Winger

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Get Sutter a Winger

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 am

MRandall25 wrote:Jeffrey is not, and will probably never be, a 2nd liner.

Dupuis isn't a 1st liner, but he is on this team. With the salary cap and two star centers on this team, the wingers aren't going to be top-sixers.

I completely understand the argument of distributing the talent through-out the lineup in order to get better matchups. As an opposing coach, you have 3 d-pairs: top pair likely takes Crosby, 2nd pair - Malkin, 2nd/3rd pair - Sutter. Honestly, Bennet is probably the best fit for the Malkin-Neal line, but the third player doesn't need to add much to the line - Cooke has proven to also be effective in that role. As a coach, it would be hard to match up against Crosby-Kunitz, Malkin-Neal, Sutter-Bennet if all three lines can score. I'm not saying that it is ideal for the team, especially because Bennet still has plenty to prove with no playoff experience, but the argument is in no way a bad one.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:48 am

I'm kind of disappointed that Boychuk didn't get an "extensive" (around 10 games or so) look on the 3rd line. He was brought in for the 2nd line...its not that easy to just on a line with Malkin and Neal and be a great player. He might have clicked well with Sutter. We shall never know because good ole Dannie never sits his little grinding -1 tiger.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:51 am

Tyler Kennedy is better than Zach Boychuk.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:00 pm

kennedy has been an every day nhl player for like 5 years. jeffrey and boychuk are 13th forwards/waiver wire fodder/healthy scratches. i know people hate kennedy and all, but come on.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Was that a +\- jab at the end there? Oh man.

What did boychuk ever do to earn this gritty reputation, I wonder.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Nizzy wrote:I'm kind of disappointed that Boychuk didn't get an "extensive" (around 10 games or so) look on the 3rd line. He was brought in for the 2nd line...its not that easy to just on a line with Malkin and Neal and be a great player. He might have clicked well with Sutter. We shall never know because good ole Dannie never sits his little grinding -1 tiger.

I'm not sure which is more alarming to me.

Your posts or the fact that I think you are actually upset the Pens have been playing so well.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Froggy wrote:kennedy has been an every day nhl player for like 5 years. jeffrey and boychuk are 13th forwards/waiver wire fodder/healthy scratches. i know people hate kennedy and all, but come on.

Jeffrey is as much "waiver wire fodder/healthy scratch" as Despres. That is, they've both been healthy scratches and neither's been waived. That's the facts.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:33 pm

pcm wrote:
Froggy wrote:kennedy has been an every day nhl player for like 5 years. jeffrey and boychuk are 13th forwards/waiver wire fodder/healthy scratches. i know people hate kennedy and all, but come on.

Jeffrey is as much "waiver wire fodder/healthy scratch" as Despres. That is, they've both been healthy scratches and neither's been waived. That's the facts.

ugh... this is an absolute crap argument. Despres is a former 1st round pick, and seen by many as the top prospect in our organization.

Jeffery is a 25 year old who has been in our organization for years, and has never been able to stick in our line up.

there is a difference in bringing a rookie along slowly, and dressing a depth guy out of necessity.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy looked awful today. Same with Bennett - Jeffery - Neal. Switch the centers on those lines.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby guiner on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy looked awful today. Same with Bennett - Jeffery - Neal. Switch the centers on those lines.

I think if it were a long term situation yes, but for DECADES this board has complained about over changing of lines, and I think HCDB is trying not to interrupt the development of chemistry between Sutter and those 2 which will be the line if Malkin is healthy. For years those 2 have played with Staal and you need to give them some time to adjust. Remember it took Neal almost a half year to start clicking with Malkin. Patience.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 pm

There is no chemistry to break up in that 3rd line.

All we have to go off is the offense created by Bennett-Sutter-Neal in the 3rd period of the first Boston game. The lines as they are currently constructed have shown not to be consistently effective at even strength. It's pretty easy to see.

Jeffrey might able to ride shotgun in a Top-6 role in a pinch, but he isn't capable of centering a line in the same capacity.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins