LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Kaizer on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:20 pm

-- Prohibits the retirement of the C-23 Sherpa aircraft, which the Army has asked to retire and which both the Army and Air Force no longer want or need. Last year, Congress granted the Army authority to give these aircraft to any state governor who wanted them and no one took them up on it, now we are preventing the Army from retiring them.

the one time i had to ride on this thing was the first time in my life i was certain death was coming any minute. i dont know how we can still be using such garbage.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Putin urges revival of Soviet-era fitness tests
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/21629545/p ... ness-tests

This guy would be proud:

Spoiler:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:40 pm

columbia wrote:Putin urges revival of Soviet-era

fify
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:09 pm

tifosi77 wrote:And KingSid, I wish I had known you were in El Segundo..... I drive past the LM office building on Aviation and El Segundo Blvd every night on my way home form work. My office is at the corner of Rosecrans and Aviation, across the street from Barnes & Noble, Trader Joe's and Fresh & Easy. That's only about a mile and a bit south of LM.

I actually spent most of my time doing an integration test at NG at Marine and Aviation. Factory test of a MILSATCOM vehicle. NG built the payload, LM the spacecraft and ground. LM has surprisingly little presence in the area. They only occupy the 6th floor of that building. No real work goes on there. It's just a place for people like me to log in (and watch planes land all day) and a place to have customer meetings. Everything going on at LA AFB and next to no presence from the largest contractor in the world.

I'm actually trying to leave LM and move to South Bay permanently. For my money, there is no better lifestyle than within 30 minutes north or south of LAX. I've got three contingent offers from two companies on two contracts. Award expected in May. NG is offering me this week a position on a ground program based in Orlando with space in Redondo. I think I'd rather hang myself than move to that oppressive humidity. I have had relatives in PA who have never been to SoCal tell me that Orlando can't be that much different. :lol:
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Ha..... I drive by that NG facility every day as well!

There are a surprising number of defense contractors in El Segundo. LM (as you say, sparse), NG, Boeing, Raytheon, Aerospace Corp (altho I guess they aren't technically a 'contractor'). There's a huge assembly line off Aviation just south of Imperial Highway that was once part of the Douglas Aircraft company, then McDonnell-Douglas, now Boeing; I think they do fuselage assembly on the F/A-18 series there.

And we get more than our share of food trucks nearly every day. (Komodo and Ragin' Cajun are favorites that are weekly staples)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 am

Funny how quickly these rightful protests in Brooklyn turn into an excuse to vandalize the property of innocent shopkeepers, loot their stores, and generally just act like a bunch of A-holes.

I also like that the officers involved are black and Hispanic. Keep pushing that race angle.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:47 am

Saw the play "Thurgood" at the O'Reilly last night. There was a full page smack in the middle of the playbill citing Eric Holder as the "heir to Thurgood Marshall's legacy". Jesus.

(Holder's actual legacy: NDAA, HSBC, aggressive prosecutions of whistleblowers, patriot act expansion, protection of bankers, irresponsible prosecution of Aaron Swartz, drones, fast and furious, etc. etc).
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Lol. This is tooo awesome for words.

Snow coffee for everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_E17nZI ... e=youtu.be

SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 am

Those are actual ads Mayor Doomberg in NYC is sticking in the subways. I can't decide whether to :lol: :cry: :face: :roll: or :scared:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/pla ... 16020.html
Planned Parenthood wrote:The latest NYC ad campaign creates negative public opinions about teen pregnancy

LOL I'm pretty sure that's the idea.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:55 am

Of course Planned Parenthood doesn't like it. I'm sure pregnant teenagers make up a sizable portion of their..... clientele.
Last edited by shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 am

Scarlet Letter discussions always end well.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Of course Planned Parenthood doesn't like it. I'm sure pregnant teenagers make up a sizable portion of their fetus-vacuuming clientele.

"Fetus vacuuming"....... that's a good one. Will have to work that into my cocktail party repertoire.

Aw...... Shaf edit. :(
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:00 am

lol, I edited that like 2 minutes ago...how long were you sitting on that reply? :lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 am

I originally replied without the quoted bit. When I saw you edited your original remarks...... well...... I felt it needed to be memorialized. So I edited it to include your actual thoughts.

If you're going to be judgmental, own it. For all posterity! :thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:06 am

those posters are hogwash. maybe next they should have posters with pictures of cops and transit workers saying "SEE THIS TRANSIT WORKER?!?! HE IS GOING TO RETIRE AT AGE 52 WITH A $60,000 PENSION AND 10,000 IN MEDICAL BENEFITS!"
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:18 am

i was thinking of some other good ones they can put up:

a fat kid: I get picked on in school and have trouble playing dodgeball because you fed me fast food

a fat adult: My children will have to bury me soon because I enjoy 32oz sodas
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:51 am

Rob Portman commentary: Gay couples also deserve chance to get married
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... rried.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Pretty good line from Mitch McConnell about the 2016 democratic primary, that with Biden and Clinton running it is going to be like re-watching an episode of the Golden Girls.
Would be even funnier if he wasn't a year older than Biden and 5 years older than Hillary.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 am

Cyprus doesn't beat around the bush. Just freeze transactions and pull cash from everyone's account. Damn.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:13 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Cyprus doesn't beat around the bush. Just freeze transactions and pull cash from everyone's account. Damn.

Madness. And then people wonder why there are riots?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 am

How does the Turkish/Greek conflict play into this situation? I'm somewhat familiar with the recent history of Cyprus, but not sure how it plays into their modern political system.

Edit: How much of this is accurate?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-18/lesson-1-greece-lesson-2-cyprus-pay-attention

The main issue is not Cyprus. Cyprus just happens to be the nation where the confiscation is to be enacted. Cyprus is the scapegoat. The European Union, the ECB and the IMF are the villains. Cyprus is the mostly unwilling recipient. What has taken place in Cyprus is far less important than the larger issue which is a forfeiture of private property being demanded by the nations on the Continent and by an international organization headquartered in Washington D.C. That would be in America.

In the case of the Greek default the country was told by the same organizations to retroactively change the covenants of their bond indenture. They did this. In the case of Cyprus, Europe has told this small nation to seize a portion of all of the bank accounts in the country so as to partially fund its debt. In both cases neither Greece nor Cyprus made the decisions; they were made by the European Union and forced upon the host countries by the threat of capital to be provided or not.

Right up until the day it happened the President of Cyprus claimed it would never happen. Then, faced with bankruptcy, the fellow folded. I do not take a position here upon his actions, he has been in office for three weeks, but I do take a position upon the tyranny of the governmental bodies in question; they have demanded and forced the forfeiture of private property for their own betterment. I state with authority; if they can do it in Greece and then again in Cyprus they can do it anywhere and under any guise they like. They can wield the army of their pen, of their money, as an effective armament on the battlefield, to change what they like, when they like, all for the good of the State.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:32 am

The conflict between Cyprus and Turkey does not appear to be much of a factor. The problem is that Cyprus' financial system is a complete trainwreck and provides a safe tax haven for oligarchs from Russia and Ukraine. So we are now bailing out Eastern European billionaires. Sweet, isn't it?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 am

That's pretty gnarly.

Schaeuble is denying it was a German idea, so that's a good thing, right? :wink:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 am

Rule #1: If Schäuble denies it, it must be true.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR