The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 pm

JS© wrote:Paul Alexander was actually trying this morning to sell the masses on how Batch is still a solid #2 and that he'd play him over Gradkowski. Would have turned it off except I couldn't believe he was serious. His accuracy is long gone, his arm has been gone for years, and you could probably clock Batch's 40 using a calendar.

Image


But JS he beat Baltimore last year, surely he has something left in the tank!
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 am

Is there any Pittsburgh sports media member more annoying on twitter than Mike Vukovcan from KDKA?

(PS - I am sure Dejan will give him a run for his money in the voting, though I dont mind him as much)
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 am

idk ive never heard of that guy
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,329
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 am

Sports producer for kdka. If he isnt fighting with some other media member, he is patting himself on the back.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:34 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Sports producer for kdka. If he isnt fighting with some other media member, he is patting himself on the back.


Yea, the guy is a clown.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,949
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby jimjom on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Vukvocan is Pompeani's right hand man. I seem to recall him having a twitter battle wih another media figure last year but can't remember who it was or what it was about.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,838
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:11 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Is there any Pittsburgh sports media member more annoying on twitter than Mike Vukovcan from KDKA?

(PS - I am sure Dejan will give him a run for his money in the voting, though I dont mind him as much)


Rob Rossi says hello.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,950
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby PghSkins on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:59 pm

PghSkins wrote:Thank god for free agency so teh Fan can go wall to wall Stiller talk even though the Pens are on a 6 9 game win streak.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,193
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:32 pm

pens9192 wrote:I hea
Stoosh wrote:
JS© wrote:Paul Alexander was actually trying this morning to sell the masses on how Batch is still a solid #2 and that he'd play him over Gradkowski. Would have turned it off except I couldn't believe he was serious. His accuracy is long gone, his arm has been gone for years, and you could probably clock Batch's 40 using a calendar.


I had 93.7 on last night on my way home and happened to hear Poni open his show with the essentially the same thing - basically, "Batch won the Baltimore game and earned the #2 spot because of it; Gradkowski has never won a meaningful NFL game". I gave it two segments. Whenever someone called and argued that durability was a huge concern with Batch, he basically said, "Well, he got through that Baltimore game..." and re-iterated his original premise.

Turned the channel after he refused to engage the second caller who tried to debate the point with him further. Cookie-cutter radio crap from Poni, just like usual. First time I've listened to him in months. Nothing has apparently changed.


I heard that too and it was awful. You know Pittsburgh is a football town first when people are talking about the backup QB situation...in MARCH! Good lord.


That's Poni's gimmick: find one point and stick to it. It doesn't matter if it's wrong, right, or even logical.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,950
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:48 pm

JS© wrote:
pens9192 wrote:I hea
Stoosh wrote:
JS© wrote:Paul Alexander was actually trying this morning to sell the masses on how Batch is still a solid #2 and that he'd play him over Gradkowski. Would have turned it off except I couldn't believe he was serious. His accuracy is long gone, his arm has been gone for years, and you could probably clock Batch's 40 using a calendar.


I had 93.7 on last night on my way home and happened to hear Poni open his show with the essentially the same thing - basically, "Batch won the Baltimore game and earned the #2 spot because of it; Gradkowski has never won a meaningful NFL game". I gave it two segments. Whenever someone called and argued that durability was a huge concern with Batch, he basically said, "Well, he got through that Baltimore game..." and re-iterated his original premise.

Turned the channel after he refused to engage the second caller who tried to debate the point with him further. Cookie-cutter radio crap from Poni, just like usual. First time I've listened to him in months. Nothing has apparently changed.


I heard that too and it was awful. You know Pittsburgh is a football town first when people are talking about the backup QB situation...in MARCH! Good lord.


That's Poni's gimmick: find one point and stick to it. It doesn't matter if it's wrong, right, or even logical.


As long as its the opposite of whoever he has on the phone at the time.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,176
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby IanMoran on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:26 am

I actually think Batch > Gradowski...

Gradowski is like a career 63 qb rating..
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,820
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby jimjom on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:21 am

Poni sucks. I had his show on for about 5 minutes yesterday and found it entertaining only because he was trying to get Dan Zangrilli fired up about his status among Clarion alumni and Zangrilli was taking the bait. Fitting that literally the only segment I enjoy of his in 3 years isn't about sports and is about teasing the update guy.

I know the Fan got some new manager for DJs/anchors. One thing he or she must be pushing is having a benchmark segment on every show -- the Power Rankings, the Sour Rankings, Dunlap's Dilemma, To Tell the Truth, 5:40 Free for All, Ask Josh Anything (ripping off Madden's worn out schtick that he started 10 years ago)...these are tiresome to me and have nothing to do with sports, does anybody actually like these things?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,838
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby pens9192 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:41 am

This is annoying to me about 93.7:

Say it is 10:20 and time for the news update. They come back from the update around 10:25, talk, and then go to commercial around 10:33-10:35 and then another update at 10:40. Rinse, repeat. I understand the update frequency, but it seems like the actual talk time has been reduced. Or is it just me? So being in the car for 20 minutes yields only 8-10 minutes of talk.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:27 pm

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:As long as its the opposite of whoever he has on the phone at the time.


the guy is hellbent on disagreeing with everyone.

the best part is, when someone calls and agrees with poni, poni never is enthusiastic about it, like hes actually annoyed if someone actually agrees with him. he always says sarcastic stuff like "well thanks bro for pointing out the exact things i pointed out"
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,763
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:24 am

I stopped listening to The Fan months ago, mostly because their mobile app buffers every minute and pretty much sucks, but also because the discussion is usually pretty boring. I also get annoyed by the updates. They have a soundbite to announce that an update is on the way, and then right afterwards have another announcemen that it's time for an update before even going into the announcement. Just have one or the other not both.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,659
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 am

I've been listening to triblive more. Its nothing earthshattering and its sometimes bland but its a nice change.

And I know I rip on the Vinnyisms alot so Im going to do it again. I went about 5/6 weeks without listening to the Fan, turned it on last week at work and within the first 30 seconds heared Vinnie "sho on and sho fort" ...I turned it right off.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,176
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby pensfan1989 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:22 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:I've been listening to triblive more. Its nothing earthshattering and its sometimes bland but its a nice change.

And I know I rip on the Vinnyisms alot so Im going to do it again. I went about 5/6 weeks without listening to the Fan, turned it on last week at work and within the first 30 seconds heared Vinnie "sho on and sho fort" ...I turned it right off.


dish, dat, and de uddah ting
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,159
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Ponakronkoski

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:39 pm

IanMoran wrote:I actually think Batch > Gradowski...

Gradowski is like a career 63 65.8 qb rating..


Big Batch's 2012 rating is a 64.9, 68.9 over the last two seasons.
Gradkowski's 2012 rating is a 64.6, 62.2 over the last two seasons although with a much smaller sample size.

In this case, I'm not sure either can be considered a winner for the #2 going into 2013.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,950
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby pensfan1989 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Listening to Vinnie talk about hockey is painful
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,159
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Ponakronkoski

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 pm

pensfan1989 wrote:Listening to Vinnie talk about hockey is painful

En den da Pensh woll ween da Schtanley Cup!!!
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,171
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 pm

not as painful as listening to him talk about the national sport of afghanistan
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,329
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby newarenanow on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm

I guess Vinny and Cook got into an on air fight last week. Smizik has in his blog from the other day that he thinks they actually truly hate each other.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,132
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 pm

i dont need smizik to tell me that. cook has so much contempt for vinnie it is obvious
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,329
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby pensfan1989 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Read the Smizik blog. I don't think it's as bad as Smizik is making it. Though I do agree they don't like each other.

The verbal sparring between Vinnie Richichi and Ron Cook (‘Vinnie and Cook’) on The Fan took a decidedly ugly turn on Thursday, and not, I’m told, for the first time. Cook called Richichi a ‘homer’ and said he was trying to ‘curry favor’ by predicting Pitt wins in the NCAA tournament. Richichi got so angry he told Cook, who was in Utah covering the NCAA tournament for the Post-Gazette, that he should ``stay in Salt Lake City,’’ ignoring the fact that Cook has a family, a home and a job in Pittsburgh. These are two guys who don’t like each other.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,159
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Ponakronkoski

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:42 pm

OMFG COOK HAS FAMILY A HOME AND A JOB IN PIXSBURGH? WHO WOULDA THUNK!?!
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,329
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PghSkins and 2 guests

e-mail