Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 am

WE do play wingers on offwings a lot. Lefties on R,righties on L!? I just hope we stick with BB on top lines,no matter what.
He deserves it.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,484
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby brwi on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:23 am

pcm wrote:Bennett needs to shoot more. Kid has only 8 shots so far.

Also, when did he switch to LW? He played RW at Denver. He shoots right... Seems like the Pens switched him to the off-wing position? Not sure why.

And didn't we switch Neal to his off-wing? We've got a lefty on the right and a righty on the left. Does Blysma have his head on backwards? (And yes I realize Neal worked just fine on RW last year, but that was more to accomodate Kunitz's boardwork on the left side, which is no longer applicable.)


Do you really need a list of guys who shoot left but play RW or vice-versa? Ever heard of players called Jagr, Bure, Vanek, Kovalchuk?

A few years ago, the Habs had the #1 PP in the NHL with all left-handed players on their #1 PP. Can we get past the ignorance on this issue?
The L-R thing has been disproved many years ago at all levels of hockey.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Shakes on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:31 am

brwi wrote:
pcm wrote:Bennett needs to shoot more. Kid has only 8 shots so far.

Also, when did he switch to LW? He played RW at Denver. He shoots right... Seems like the Pens switched him to the off-wing position? Not sure why.

And didn't we switch Neal to his off-wing? We've got a lefty on the right and a righty on the left. Does Blysma have his head on backwards? (And yes I realize Neal worked just fine on RW last year, but that was more to accomodate Kunitz's boardwork on the left side, which is no longer applicable.)


Do you really need a list of guys who shoot left but play RW or vice-versa? Ever heard of players called Jagr, Bure, Vanek, Kovalchuk?

A few years ago, the Habs had the #1 PP in the NHL with all left-handed players on their #1 PP. Can we get past the ignorance on this issue?
The L-R thing has been disproved many years ago at all levels of hockey.


Right, but he still scored 40 there, so why change it? In any event, after the puck drops (actually, even before the puck drops at times), our forwards change up all the time. E.g., Bennett's sick saucer pass to Geno last night came from a rush up the right wing.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:49 am

Because James Neal.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,045
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:51 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Because James Neal.



Please go on.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,260
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:53 am

columbia wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Because James Neal.



Please go on.


You would think it wouldn't be necessary, but I suppose it might me.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,045
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby pcm on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Yall have masterful eyes for subtlety. Wow.

James Neal played great in Dallas on the LW. He plays great here on the RW. Switching sides is not going to make an offensive force of a player be less of a player. But guess what? Ask yourself why he switched sides in first place, if it doesn't matter at all?

(Hint, the answer is in my original post, which you probably didn't read as soon as you recognized the topic.)

But anyways, since LGP's message board posters have debunked the theory that playing wings on their natural side instead of their "off-wing" has any advantage, despite GM's talking about this, like Boston's Chiarelli for example, I guess this must be a moot point.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,119
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Beveridge on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:34 pm

pcm wrote:Yall have masterful eyes for subtlety. Wow.

James Neal played great in Dallas on the LW. He plays great here on the RW. Switching sides is not going to make an offensive force of a player be less of a player. But guess what? Ask yourself why he switched sides in first place, if it doesn't matter at all?

(Hint, the answer is in my original post, which you probably didn't read as soon as you recognized the topic.)

But anyways, since LGP's message board posters have debunked the theory that playing wings on their natural side instead of their "off-wing" has any advantage, despite GM's talking about this, like Boston's Chiarelli for example, I guess this must be a moot point.


Just remember: We know better than players, coaches, and front offices.

Then everything makes sense!
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,385
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Because there's no evidence that NHL executives can make stupid decisions
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,517
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:44 pm

The advantage of lefties on the right side and righties on the left side is that they can be set up for one timers at a better scoring angle. The disadvantage is that they have to use their backhands to take a puck coming along the boards from behind the offensive goal. This has been known since Europeans (who are used to playing the off wing) started coming over to the NHL. Some North American forwards can adjust to playing the off wing, some can't. I'm surprised this discussion has gone on for 3 pages.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,182
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Bennett is really reading Malkin and Neal well now. I hope he's there for the rest of the year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,493
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Beveridge on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Looks like Sutter will be centering them tonight
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,385
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby canaan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 am

Gaucho wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Is Bylsma finally getting it? Now just stop bouncing Despres & Bortuzzo in and out of the lineup and give them a chance to grow.


No, DB doesn't get it. Some blogger will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that either Mario or Shero or canaan's Mom was behind DB's one and only reasonable decision this season.

i think we know which of these is true. ty mom.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,777
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby NeddieVedder on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Shero and Bylsma made the decision to switch Neal to RW over that offseason based on something they saw in his initial stretch here.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 pm

NeddieVedder wrote:Shero and Bylsma made the decision to switch Neal to RW over that offseason based on something they saw in his initial stretch here.

That Kunitz was better and deserved to play on his comfortable side? Didn't Neal always play both sides?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,158
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby NeddieVedder on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
NeddieVedder wrote:Shero and Bylsma made the decision to switch Neal to RW over that offseason based on something they saw in his initial stretch here.

That Kunitz was better and deserved to play on his comfortable side? Didn't Neal always play both sides?


Something about his release. Independent of Kunitz 'cause he was with Staal at first last year during Crosby's coma. "We studied tape of all of his Dallas goals," etc. Then again, Bylsma also said he wanted to do Kunitz-Crosby-Neal, so.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby MelicharSux on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm

I didn't want to start a separate thread but I'm trying to find a Bennett t-shirt jersey.

Anyone have any ideas where I can find it online? It won't let me customize them with actual players names on shop.nhl.com.
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,532
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:45 pm
Location: Columbus.

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby FC on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:56 pm

I notice Bennett is not playing against Albany this evening...Perhaps recalled because of the Neal injury?
FC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Banks of the Deep end

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Pitts on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:07 pm

FC wrote:I notice Bennett is not playing against Albany this evening...Perhaps recalled because of the Neal injury?

IDk. He is listed as a scratch.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,520
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby knives of ice on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:16 pm

reports on twitter are assuming he was out as precaution to likely callup for neal
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,743
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby saints11 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:26 pm

As per twitter, BB been recalled.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:31 pm

saints11 wrote:As per twitter, BB been recalled.


Reporting for duty!
Image
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,800
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Bennett to get extensive time on 2nd line

Postby saints11 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Beau Geste reference, classy!
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Firebird, skullman80 and 3 guests

e-mail