Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Hockey's Future: Penguins Top 20 Prospects - Spring 2013

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:27 pm

He was complaining about not taking Forsberg. Now it's Grigorenko.

At least try to be consistent, Nizz
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:34 pm

pouliot won't play a single game in a pens jersey. He'll be traded before every being in the nhl. another goligoski...he will phase out on another team. hopefully we get a good return for him. The Staal - Sutter trade is almost a lateral move. Maybe dumoulin can be a mid-pair guy.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 pm

I just saw a re-ranking of this draft class and Maatta was ahead of Pouliot. Now Pouliot is our number 1 ranked prospect, and Maatta is what 5th? Joke list. Morrow is so much better then Pouliot. More Physical as well.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Does anyone think Hanowski will be signed for WB/S? And if so does he have NHL talent?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:56 pm

If GMRS trades any of these young guys, my bet would be on Harrington and to a Canadian team. He has amassed quite a rep up there. I'm sure someone will overpay for him as part of a group trade.

Maybe it is just me, but the forward prospects on the list just don't get you real pumped up. I am a huge BB fan but after him you are probably 2 years away on any of the others being worth squat. You should always have that one forward prospect you are fighting to keep down and we don't.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:02 pm

What if we just used that Ferriero kid as the 12th forward instead of signing Glass? ??
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Don't see Harrington getting moved, to be honest. Not that most prospects should be "untouchable," but he's as good of a bet as any of our prospects to have a long NHL career, and doing it with something the big club could certainly use more of (smart, sound, defensive hockey).

There have been more than a few Juniors broadcasters who have deemed him the best shutdown defenseman in the entire league.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Nizzy wrote:What if we just used that Ferriero kid as the 12th forward instead of signing Glass? ??

Then our 4th lind would be even more meh.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Using the Rangers as a barometer to say Ferriero is better than Glass is just... laughable.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:20 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Don't see Harrington getting moved, to be honest. Not that most prospects should be "untouchable," but he's as good of a bet as any of our prospects to have a long NHL career, and doing it with something the big club could certainly use more of (smart, sound, defensive hockey).

There have been more than a few Juniors broadcasters who have deemed him the best shutdown defenseman in the entire league.

I think what it comes down to is who, from our current defensive starters, do we expect to be playing here 1,2, and then 3 years from now? I would think the most set in stone is Letang but DB will want at least 4 long term vets. I don't have the contracts in front of me but I'm sure there is a plan to get 2 of these younger guys in by 3 years from now. Any more than that and I would be shocked. It is not our style. That leaves too many prospects with no opps. No spots = deals.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:12 pm

21. (NR) Brian Gibbons 6.5C
22. (11) Tom Kuhnhackl 7D
23. (18) Philip Samuelsson 6C
24. (NR) Anton Zlobin - 7D
25. (16) Dominik Uher 6C
26. (NR) Matia Marcantuoni 6C
27. (NR) Reid McNeill 6C
28. (NR) Harrison Ruopp 6C
29. (NR) Alex Velischek 6C
30. (NR) Clark Seymour 6D
31. (NR) Adam Payerl 5.5C
32. (NR) Patrick Killeen 6D
33. (NR) Alex Grant 5.5C
34. (NR) Keven Veilleux 5D
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Nizzy wrote:21. (NR) Brian Gibbons 6.5C
22. (11) Tom Kuhnhackl 7D
23. (18) Philip Samuelsson 6C
24. (NR) Anton Zlobin - 7D
25. (16) Dominik Uher 6C
26. (NR) Matia Marcantuoni 6C
27. (NR) Reid McNeill 6C
28. (NR) Harrison Ruopp 6C
29. (NR) Alex Velischek 6C
30. (NR) Clark Seymour 6D
31. (NR) Adam Payerl 5.5C
32. (NR) Patrick Killeen 6D
33. (NR) Alex Grant 5.5C
34. (NR) Keven Veilleux 5D

Running out of anti-Bylsma material since the team has won 9 in a row huh :face:
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Take it for what it is worth, Rossi said today on the radio that Despres makes too many risky passes for Bylsma's taste. That is why he is scratched so much.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:46 pm

MarioLives wrote:Take it for what it is worth, Rossi said today on the radio that Despres makes too many risky passes for Bylsma's taste. That is why he is scratched so much.

Take it for what it is worth, Rossi said today on the radio

for what it is worth, Rossi said today

Rossi said today

Rossi

So it's worth a little more than crap and a little less than nothing?

On a serious note: People shouldn't be worried about Despres, if he were never getting in like Bort, then there would be something to read into.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 pm

nice
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 am

Mikey, besides Sustr are there any other college free agents the Pens should be going after??
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:05 am

pens_CT wrote:Mikey, besides Sustr are there any other college free agents the Pens should be going after??

Yeah, a kid that no one is talking about named Eriah Hayes. Maybe I just don't see or know enough about him, but he's a senior from MSU-Mankato (Teddy Blueger's team) and he's large and he has a wicked shot. He's about 6'4", 210, he can skate well, he uses his body, he's strong and can fend off would-be tacklers and he's got a terrific shot. He's pretty creative offensively all-around actually. I'm not sure why no one is mentioning him, but he can play. I hope that we use our Blueger connection to net him, he's got some upside for sure. Unless there's something I don't know.

Sophomore Austin Czarnik from Miami U. Little guy, but industrious and skilled. I just did a feature piece on him, he's a good kid, he played for the USA at the WJCs, he was thrown into the water and was told to sink or swim ("but you better swim because we need you to replace all the scoring we lost") and he swam better than everyone. Redhawks are becoming quite the little hockey factory. Not sure if he's gonna come out this year, there's a chance. Might wait one more year.

We won't get DeKeyser and Laganiere I wouldn't guess...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 am

mikey287 wrote:Sophomore Austin Czarnik from Miami U. Little guy, but industrious and skilled. I just did a feature piece on him, he's a good kid, he played for the USA at the WJCs, he was thrown into the water and was told to sink or swim ("but you better swim because we need you to replace all the scoring we lost") and he swam better than everyone. Redhawks are becoming quite the little hockey factory. Not sure if he's gonna come out this year, there's a chance. Might wait one more year.

Speaking of Miami U., what's the story on Matthew Caito? Saw him play 3 or 4 times this year and I cannot believe he never gets any press. He logs some big-time, heavy lifting minutes for the Red Hawks
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:37 am

Yeah, he's another guy. Not very big, but plays pretty big. I'm surprised no one took a chance on him or Czarnik in the last draft...he's a work in progress, not very big...but he can move it pretty well...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:59 pm

mikey287 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Mikey, besides Sustr are there any other college free agents the Pens should be going after??

Yeah, a kid that no one is talking about named Eriah Hayes. Maybe I just don't see or know enough about him, but he's a senior from MSU-Mankato (Teddy Blueger's team) and he's large and he has a wicked shot. He's about 6'4", 210, he can skate well, he uses his body, he's strong and can fend off would-be tacklers and he's got a terrific shot. He's pretty creative offensively all-around actually. I'm not sure why no one is mentioning him, but he can play. I hope that we use our Blueger connection to net him, he's got some upside for sure. Unless there's something I don't know.

Sophomore Austin Czarnik from Miami U. Little guy, but industrious and skilled. I just did a feature piece on him, he's a good kid, he played for the USA at the WJCs, he was thrown into the water and was told to sink or swim ("but you better swim because we need you to replace all the scoring we lost") and he swam better than everyone. Redhawks are becoming quite the little hockey factory. Not sure if he's gonna come out this year, there's a chance. Might wait one more year.

Why don't you think we will get Laganiere? Too many other teams interested? Is he really a center or could he play on the wing?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Just the odds, when you're limited by the entry-level system it's just a matter of choice really. The odds are 1 in 30 that we get him, essentially, ya know? I don't bank on that really. And he's a winger.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:31 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... ce-680190/
Bortuzzo article. I don't pay much attention to what Riordan said because they're coaches usually find something nice to say is such articles.
He has size, his mobility is okay for his size, he's physical and can fight. To me he looks like a solid candidate to be a physical Dman at a modest salary. The Pens have had shortage of those attributes. He's not going to be used in the playoffs but the rosters will be expanded.

But I do hope they hang on to him even if he's a healthy scratch. If they acquire a forward without trading a TK than I'd rather see them waive Jeffrey. I don't see him as much of a loss.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins