Trouble in Steubenville...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trouble in Steubenville...

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:51 pm

KDKA ‏@CBSPittsburgh
2 teenage girls have been arrested for threatening the rape victim in the #Steubenville rape case. http://cbsloc.al/YkgF10

According to the Steubenville sheriff, police are now investigating death threats being made against the girl.

Police are also investigating if at least one of the threats was made by somebody with a connection to Richmond

Let me see these two princesses! :twisted:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:43 pm

obhave wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/fox-news-steubenville-rape-victim_n_2901635.html?ir=Media

It's awful that no news site would have the foresight to censor her name. As minors, I don't think the boys should have their names published either, but at this point we are so far beyond that.

That's low brow, but sadly what I've come to expect from those networks.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:48 pm

"you ripped my family apart, you made my cousin cry, so next time i see you ***** it's gonna be a homicide" tweeted the 16 year old cousin of one of the suspects. Sad really. When I was 16 I was afraid to say a cuss word in front of an adult.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:58 pm

yes, its truly a shame that your cousin cried.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby obhave on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm

It is going to be so incredibly hard for that girl to heal in that town.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm

She has to leave. That is her only hope.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 pm

obhave wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/fox-news-steubenville-rape-victim_n_2901635.html?ir=Media

It's awful that no news site would have the foresight to censor her name. As minors, I don't think the boys should have their names published either, but at this point we are so far beyond that.

WTF.... :face:

This whole thing has been a disgrace. Crap like this is why so many rapes go unreported. Makes me sick.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Rylan wrote:She has to leave. That is her only hope.

I believe her father already said they are moving. She actually doesnt live in Steubenville, she's from a town across the river. but thats neither here nor there.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Rylan wrote:She has to leave. That is her only hope.

Far, far away. I hear houses in Arizona can be had for cheap now after the real-estate bubble burst.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby obhave on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:39 pm

the wicked child wrote:

WTF.... :face:

This whole thing has been a disgrace. Crap like this is why so many rapes go unreported. Makes me sick.

I completely agree with you. Sexual abuse and rape are extremely hard to report. It's hard to personally admit to oneself that these events occurred. They are hard to prove. Even when you have proof, its hard to ever get justice let alone closure. Its extremely difficult to relive these moments over and over again in any sort of judicial situation. In this case once the name is released, you have the people who want to victim blame being able to do so.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Henry Rollins has a pretty good essay up about this case. (some NSFW language, as might be expected)

I would be willing to bet that there isn't a single individual on this board who doesn't know a woman that has been sexually assaulted. They may not be aware of the assault, which makes such an assertion largely impossible to prove or disprove, but the rate is something like 1:2. Think about that for a second........ then compare it with how many of us know someone who was the victim of some other crime. I'm sure there are dozens of us who don't know a single soul that was never burglarized, or mugged, or had their car stolen. But I bet we all know a woman who has been sexually assaulted.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:29 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Already an arrest made for social media threats against Jane Doe. Search #FreeTrent and #FreeMalik on twitter. No ones learned a thing. Nothing.

2 girls were sent to a detention center today while they await their hearing on felony charges for posting those threats. I believe March 28th. On the news they said the girls showed no emotion in the courtroom until they were told they were going to be held until that hearing. Obviously they didnt show their faces as they are 15 and 16 but the audible sobbing was heared. Its just mind blowing that these idiots saw what was going on the pst few months over social media, and it took them about an hour after the verdict sunday to get on social media and incriminate themselves. Although if they're that dumb and capable of threating a rape victim like this, chances are if not this they'd be in a detention center sooner or later for something.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Someone called into the X this morning around 8:45 and said "If God was in schools this would never have happened".
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:37 pm

THis whole thing is so effed up. I can't believe there are people harassing her. Well I can, but its crappy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:40 pm

I know it's been touched on, but

“I would truly like to apologize to [redacted], her family, my family and the community,” Mays said. “No picture should have been sent around, let alone even taken.

What a dirtbag
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeah that apology was a joke. At least Richmond walked over to the family and apologized eye to eye, well he tried but he broke down. Not that any of it makes it better, but standing up looking at the judge and saying, we shouldnt have taken those pictures, sit back down, isnt the attitude you need to have right now.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:48 pm

mac5155 wrote:Someone called into the X this morning around 8:45 and said "If God was in schools this would never have happened".

Well, there's a lot of god in the Catholic church......... how'd that work out? (See the current track of the "Pick-a-Pope" thread for context)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:52 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Yeah that apology was a joke. At least Richmond walked over to the family and apologized eye to eye, well he tried but he broke down. Not that any of it makes it better, but standing up looking at the judge and saying, we shouldnt have taken those pictures, sit back down, isnt the attitude you need to have right now.

Are you shocked? He's a meathead. He has no compassion for anything but himself and football.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:52 pm

mac5155 wrote:Someone called into the X this morning around 8:45 and said "If God was in schools this would never have happened".

Ha. That might be right up there with saying "people want gun control, if this girl had a gun none of this would have happened to her"

Followed by Tim Benz quitting again.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:57 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Yeah that apology was a joke. At least Richmond walked over to the family and apologized eye to eye, well he tried but he broke down. Not that any of it makes it better, but standing up looking at the judge and saying, we shouldnt have taken those pictures, sit back down, isnt the attitude you need to have right now.

Yeah the attitude needs to be, "i'm glad my dad has a gun, this bullet can't get into my brain fast enough".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 pm

tifosi77 wrote:

Well, there's a lot of god in the Catholic church......... how'd that work out? (See the current track of the "Pick-a-Pope" thread for context)

:face:
So open prayer in schools would have stopped it? Open prayer is legal in most of the United States and there is still rape. I understand (maybe) where the caller was coming from but it's a terrible argument.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm

Meh, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it ITT cause this isnt the place for that discussion.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:40 pm

I bet these guys, especially the one who seems to be most responsible, really didnt think what they were doing was all that bad, let alone that they were committing a rape.

Sex has been defined down so much and normalized, especially among teenagers, that what they were doing (in their minds) wasnt really sexual in nature, so it couldnt be a rape. I mean, rape, thats the morbid stuff on SVU, creepy guy in the van mugging a jogger in a park or threatening a girl in a parking garage with a knife. Not "messing around" with a friend who was trashed.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby obhave on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:08 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I bet these guys, especially the one who seems to be most responsible, really didnt think what they were doing was all that bad, let alone that they were committing a rape.

Sex has been defined down so much and normalized, especially among teenagers, that what they were doing (in their minds) wasnt really sexual in nature, so it couldnt be a rape. I mean, rape, thats the morbid stuff on SVU, creepy guy in the van mugging a jogger in a park or threatening a girl in a parking garage with a knife. Not "messing around" with a friend who was trashed.

Which is a huge issue in the discussion and education around rape and consent. The discussion about sexual assault and rape needs to happen in schools. I know I never actually learned anything about it in high school, especially not the meaning or definition of consent. It was not until I came to college that I learned about these issues, definitions, etc.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 pm

obhave wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:I bet these guys, especially the one who seems to be most responsible, really didnt think what they were doing was all that bad, let alone that they were committing a rape.

Which is a huge issue in the discussion and education around rape and consent. The discussion about sexual assault and rape needs to happen in schools. I know I never actually learned anything about it in high school, especially not the meaning or definition of consent. It was not until I came to college that I learned about these issues, definitions, etc.

The problem starts with the parents, both in the children's upbringing and the naivety that their kids "are all good kids"
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR