Around the League: Transactions

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:12 am

Yeah, but he's no closer to unrestricted free agency, and when you have an owner that isn't afraid to spent. The difference is probably only $1 million or so over the course of 7 years, worse things have happened. I think the Flyers goofballed it with Luca Sbisa a few years ago for instance...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,102
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby mikey287 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Word on the street is: Ducks are close to re-signing Corey Perry to a deal that mirrors Getzlaf's...

Honestly, I didn't expect that.

EDIT: They have, in fact, re-signed him. Believed to be 8 years and $66 million.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,102
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Rylan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:50 pm

:shock:

So the Ducks and Pens are the only teams with 2 $8+ million contracts right?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,085
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby mikey287 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Off the top of my head, I believe so. Though Minnesota has three of $7.5M+ and that doesn't include Mikko Koivu's $6.75M
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,102
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:54 pm

mikey287 wrote:Word on the street is: Ducks are close to re-signing Corey Perry to a deal that mirrors Getzlaf's...

Honestly, I didn't expect that.

EDIT: They have, in fact, re-signed him. Believed to be 8 years and $66 million.


Good for Anaheim. They got their core 2 guys for 8 years.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,706
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Froggy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Rylan wrote::shock:

So the Ducks and Pens are the only teams with 2 $8+ million contracts right?

what were you saying in chat the other night about not seeing many ridiculous contracts going forward?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,943
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Froggy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Rylan wrote::shock:

So the Ducks and Pens are the only teams with 2 $8+ million contracts right?

what were you saying in chat the other night about not seeing many ridiculous contracts going forward?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,943
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby mikey287 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Bob sez: 8 years, $69 million ($8.625M cap hit).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,102
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 pm

This bodes well for the rest of the league :roll:

Can't wait to see some 60 point guy get paid 10 mil.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,522
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Best Player in the NHL gets 8.7 million. Just sayin. Makes me a little nervous for Malkin's contract though.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,706
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby mikey287 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Wonder what he would have gotten if he hit the market...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,102
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 pm

mikey287 wrote:Wonder what he would have gotten if he hit the market...


I'll say 9.5 per. I honestly believe Bobby Ryan will be traded at some point (draft).
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,706
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Did he sign it on the bench during the game? :lol:
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,706
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Froggy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm

it's as much as crosby's cap hit, so it's an overpay if his deal is to set the ceiling.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,943
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Best Player in the NHL gets 8.7 million. Just sayin. Makes me a little nervous for Malkin's contract though.


Malkin's contract is going to be huge. Easily a cap hit of $10.5 million. Probably more.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,537
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:05 am

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Bioshock on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Best Player in the NHL gets 8.7 million. Just sayin. Makes me a little nervous for Malkin's contract though.


Malkin's contract is going to be huge. Easily a cap hit of $10.5 million. Probably more.


With the current landscape of contracts having a length cap in the new CBA, it truly shows what a bargain Crosby's deal really is. If the Pens somehow convince Malkin to take 8.7 again... then it's the biggest steal in the history of the Salary Cap Era. Shero should get a lifetime contract for that if he somehow were to pull that off.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,892
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Desiato on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:20 am

Bioshock wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Best Player in the NHL gets 8.7 million. Just sayin. Makes me a little nervous for Malkin's contract though.


Malkin's contract is going to be huge. Easily a cap hit of $10.5 million. Probably more.


With the current landscape of contracts having a length cap in the new CBA, it truly shows what a bargain Crosby's deal really is. If the Pens somehow convince Malkin to take 8.7 again... then it's the biggest steal in the history of the Salary Cap Era. Shero should get a lifetime contract for that if he somehow were to pull that off.


It's not so black and white because of endorsements. Sid stands to earn more through the course of his life by building the greatest legacy possible. It benefits him in the long run to take less now to ensure the team can afford to build a consistent contender.

Hopefully Malkin will see it the same way. I don't see the Pens paying him more than Sid. Not significantly more anyway.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,366
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:08 am

Desiato wrote:
Bioshock wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Best Player in the NHL gets 8.7 million. Just sayin. Makes me a little nervous for Malkin's contract though.


Malkin's contract is going to be huge. Easily a cap hit of $10.5 million. Probably more.


With the current landscape of contracts having a length cap in the new CBA, it truly shows what a bargain Crosby's deal really is. If the Pens somehow convince Malkin to take 8.7 again... then it's the biggest steal in the history of the Salary Cap Era. Shero should get a lifetime contract for that if he somehow were to pull that off.


It's not so black and white because of endorsements. Sid stands to earn more through the course of his life by building the greatest legacy possible. It benefits him in the long run to take less now to ensure the team can afford to build a consistent contender.

Hopefully Malkin will see it the same way. I don't see the Pens paying him more than Sid. Not significantly more anyway.


Malkin is going to have a cap hit that is higher than Crosby and its going to be much higher than Crosby. No more backloading deals and no more deals with "extra" years. People seem to keep ignoring this fact. Sid makes an average of $10.8 million through the first 8 years of his deal. That's his actual value, not $8.7 million, and that's your starting point for Geno. Lowest I could see it going is $10.5 million, though best case scenario is Geno mirroring the first 8 years of Sid's deal.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,537
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:05 am

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:55 am

I don't think any team has won the cup with two players exceeding $15 million on the cap. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen anytime until the cap gets up well over $70 something million. Can't wait for that next lockout.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,902
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 am

no one's going to be paid "much higher" than crosby. at worst, malkin will want to be the highest paid player in the league. 9.75 will get it done - even with the new CBA dynamics.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,622
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 am

shmenguin wrote:no one's going to be paid "much higher" than crosby. at worst, malkin will want to be the highest paid player in the league. 9.75 will get it done - even with the new CBA dynamics.


This is beyond delusional. Cap hits prior to the new CBA mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. If Malkin signs a deal that gives him a cap hit of 9.75 million he should immediately canonized. There is no way that its going to happen. Not when Weber averages 11.5 million over the first 8 years of his deal. Parise and Suter 10 million. Kovalchuk 9.33 million. Lecavalier 9.8125 million. Brad Richards' deal is effectively $9.5 million a year for 6 years and Getzlaf is $8.57 million a year for 7 years before taking a reduction to $6 million in year 8. And none of this is even factoring in the ridiculous signing bonuses that were dished out. 68 million for Weber. 28 million for Richards. 25 million for Parise and Suter. 5 million for Getzlaf.

9.75 million for Geno isn't even a viable hometown discount, let alone fair market value.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,537
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:05 am

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:45 am

I guess the owners won't realize how screwed they are until after this CBA renews. Elite players are going to make so much more over their careers.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,902
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I guess the owners won't realize how screwed they are until after this CBA renews. Elite players are going to make so much more over their careers.


Salaries for elite players are staying in line though, at least for now. It's just not possible anymore to hide the true cap hit. What we're going to see is a trickle down effect that is going to cause your 3rd/4th line guys to take a hit to their salary. The Tyler Kennedy's of the world aren't going to get $2 million a season when you need to allocate that cap space for your star players. What will be interesting is what happens when the cap starts to go back up. Will that additional cap space cause a significant raise for role players or will it be outpaced by the increase in salary for the elite?

I'd say the odds on favorite is the rich getting richer, which means two things: 1.) The new CBA screwed over the vast majority of players while the elite continue to make their money regardless of the constraints placed on compensation and 2.) we already have our major point of contention for the next lockout. Elite players make too much money and max contracts should be less than 20% of the salary cap.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,537
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:05 am

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 am

Elite players coming off entry level deals are not going to get paid 10 years 70 million, they are going to get paid 8 years 7 million and then 8 years 7 million. I'll be curious to see what RNH's contract lines him up for. Tavares and Taylor Hall are lined up nicely to get paid huge money way into their 30s after their next contracts. Nothing new, basically they're just not going to have years with a low cap hit.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,902
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Postby tfrizz on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I guess the owners won't realize how screwed they are until after this CBA renews. Elite players are going to make so much more over their careers.


Salaries for elite players are staying in line though, at least for now. It's just not possible anymore to hide the true cap hit. What we're going to see is a trickle down effect that is going to cause your 3rd/4th line guys to take a hit to their salary. The Tyler Kennedy's of the world aren't going to get $2 million a season when you need to allocate that cap space for your star players. What will be interesting is what happens when the cap starts to go back up. Will that additional cap space cause a significant raise for role players or will it be outpaced by the increase in salary for the elite?

I'd say the odds on favorite is the rich getting richer, which means two things: 1.) The new CBA screwed over the vast majority of players while the elite continue to make their money regardless of the constraints placed on compensation and 2.) we already have our major point of contention for the next lockout. Elite players make too much money and max contracts should be less than 20% of the salary cap.


And, if we're being clear, this is exactly what the NHLPA warned against. They said that putting a max length on contracts would cause a rise in cap hits for top-end players, leaving less of the pie for the depth guys.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,647
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


e-mail