Malkin Skates

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin skates

Postby headh on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 am

RxBandit66 wrote:I'm more concerned with the fact that when Sid is in the lineup, Geno is a mopey point-per-game player who struggles to score goals. Why he dominates the league in Sid's absence is beyond me.

Sid was playing when Geno won the MVP of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 am

headh wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:I'm more concerned with the fact that when Sid is in the lineup, Geno is a mopey point-per-game player who struggles to score goals. Why he dominates the league in Sid's absence is beyond me.

And that was a big reason why he got MVP. Teams focused their shutdown guys on Crosby, which made for easier match-ups for Malkin. Mike Babcock even said during a presser that his #1 concern was shutting down Crosby.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Malkin Skates

Postby penny lane on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters
Ovechkin said Crosby and Malkin are the two best players in the league.

Alex still loves the pens. :D

Gene earned his conn symth!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:52 pm

Tonight will be a nice test for them. The Caps are hungry and know they have to win pretty much every game. I hope the Pens pull this one out. Looks like Laich is back for the game too.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:55 pm

They had a lot of nice tests lately, so I hope they come to play against a crap team.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Always get nervous when they play OV. I keep waiting for him to hurt someone with his charges.....it is coming and I just hope it is not tonight, against the Pens....
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 pm

OV always leads with the shoulder, though.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Charging really doesn't have anything to do with what part of the body you hit with. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:28 am

Any updates?
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:28 pm

thepittman wrote:Any updates?

Still concussed recovering from his upper body injury that definitely isn't a concussion.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beLIEve on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:03 pm

The game isn't played in a vacuum. Other players in/out of the lineup has influence on several areas of the game. Including, but not limited to:

--More playing time when you're the only superstar center in the lineup.

--Getting the best wingers on your line when you're the only superstar center in the lineup (last year he gets Kunitz, this year they've struggled to find someone for that spot)

--Being able to play in your preferred goal scoring spot on the power play (half wall) rather than being relegated into a spot where its quite hard to score goals from (left point)

--Less of a need for you to put up points with Sid in the lineup. If its 3 to 1 in the 3rd period thanks to 2 points from Sid's line, do you really need to go out there and press the issue for more points? Or is your job to go out there and not give up odd man rushes, play smart, etc?

Any combination of the above would explain point totals being less with Sid in the lineup vs out.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 43m #Penguins working on breakout on PP. Malkin working with top unit; Niskanen in Letang's normal spot.

Looks like Kris Letang may need another few days before returning; Gene looks set for the NYI! :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:23 pm

penny lane wrote:
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 43m #Penguins working on breakout on PP. Malkin working with top unit; Niskanen in Letang's normal spot.

Looks like Kris Letang may need another few days before returning; Gene looks set for the NYI! :D

Awesome, the Pens need a boost. The Isles should be ready to go after getting embarrassed last time.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:35 pm

headh wrote:

He was in mvp form last year when Sid was in the lineup. Actually, I think Sid's comeback against the Isles was the game that got Geno going.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Geno's PPG average last year was higher when Sid returned.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby neophool on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 am

How is Genos neck meat?
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby André on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:38 am

Old argument, not true and easily countered.

Sid played the majority (53) of regular season games when Geno got 106 points his second year 07-08.

Sid played 77 games and all of the playoffs Geno's third year 08-09 when he scored 113 points, was snubbed of the Hart but got the Conn Smyth after putting up the fourth most points in a playoffs by anyone ever in history. That while centering Fedotenko and Talbot. And no, Kronwall and Rafalski weren't scrums to face while Sid was shut down by Lidstrom and Zetterberg (and matchups can't be executed perfectly for full games and series). Another funny story that spring was how everyone was all over him after one less great game vs the Caps. Yes, he was even (slightly of course) bettar that season than last year. Alot of people was quick to say "best Geno's ever been" last year but that's just not true.

Plus:
meecrofilm wrote:Geno's PPG average last year was higher when Sid returned.

There's so much confusion on this. A Swedish hockey profile said during the WC's last year that Geno's scoring that year was even more impressive as it was without Sid. How he this time did it with less support. At the time I felt like Apu when Homer sais he's off the the civil war re-enactment to shoot some indians, to which he replies "I don't know what part of that sentence to correct first."

1: Geno doesn't play with Sid very often (save on the PP but that was weirdly better off without Sid)
2: He has been known for great play with Sid out (though, as just proved, it's a myth it's just those times he's been great)
3: He had better (by a mile) support in 11/12 than in 08/09, playing with Kunitz and Neal instead of Talbot and Fedotenko

Not saying anyone here has said what that Swedish TV profile did, but it came to mind.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:42 am

Malkin looked like he was ready to destroy the competition last time he came off of injury, I hope we are in for a show.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:51 am

Wave to the camera, Shelly.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Wave to the camera, Shelly.

:lol:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:38 am

Whatever the stats say this season, if you watch Geno play he has been significantly more attentive to making sure he is back in the defensive zone. I think he is concentrating on his defense a lot more than in the past.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:35 pm

No Geno or Letang again tonight.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Fine with me
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:52 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Whatever the stats say this season, if you watch Geno play he has been significantly more attentive to making sure he is back in the defensive zone. I think he is concentrating on his defense a lot more than in the past.

Agreed. There's been a noticeable difference since his return from the K.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Any update on Mr Malkin? Im hoping to see both him and Letang play.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins