Limiting young players minutes

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Limiting young players minutes

Postby headh on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:50 am

Does anyone think that Simon Depres (as an example) may be playing limited minutes due the unusual schedule this season? It may be that HCDB is simply thinking of what is in Simon's best interest for the playoffs and the long run.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Limiting young players minutes

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 am

I don't think its because of the short season, I think its because its his first full year. The short season is the reason that the limiting of games/minutes annoys me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think its because of the short season, I think its because its his first full year. The short season is the reason that the limiting of games/minutes annoys me.

I did a terrible job of explaining my point. So many games jammed into so little time means shorter recovery time and potential injury. I think fatigue makes cowards of us all and a guy like Depres may not be a as good at managing himself to be prepared to play intense games every other day the way a veteran like Orpik can. Just a thought.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 am

Its his first full season and the position he plays. Bennett has less pro experience than Despres, but you can hide forward mistakes easier than ones coming from a defenseman.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:19 am

Despres had 27 games in WBS before January and has played 48 total already, it would make sense if Bylsma actually said that instead of citing the physicality of teams as the reason he woudl be scratched. Granted he said it one time before Boston and Despres has also missed games vs Philly and Boston who others would say are physical as well.

As far as total games played this year:
Malkin = 58
Bennett = 50
Engellend = 41
Bortuzzo = 39
Jeffrey = 37

Everyone else is at 30 or less. That being said, I would not be surprised to see Bennett rested down the stretch if it's possible. But he should be fine.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 am

He also cited his inconsistency. He does have the occasional shift that is absolutely horrifying. And then he does something awesome on his very next shift.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:51 am

Gaucho wrote:He also cited his inconsistency. He does have the occasional shift that is absolutely horrifying. And then he does something awesome on his very next shift.

Not sure I am buying that one. I see bonehead plays from veterans all the time.

The only reason I can rationalize is that HCDB sees the match ups as unfavorable. Despres might be getting more protected minutes than meets the eye.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby TwoSheds on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:55 am

Let'em make the mistake and learn now!
Allow him to prepare for the playoffs!
History shows it doesn't matter where we line-up positionally for post season.
We were in a nice position last year (would have been #1 if not for those stupid late season losses to the lowly Islanders...I'm still pissed about that!) and blew it. But our road to the cup was more difficult, yet we made it.

Can't wait to view the game tonite with Caps fans at a bar here in Maryland. Even if we lose, my response to them will be: 'See you in the playoffs...MAYBE!'
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:08 am

Pitt87 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:He also cited his inconsistency. He does have the occasional shift that is absolutely horrifying. And then he does something awesome on his very next shift.

Not sure I am buying that one. I see bonehead plays from veterans all the time.

The only reason I can rationalize is that HCDB sees the match ups as unfavorable. Despres might be getting more protected minutes than meets the eye.

You may be correct but I simply don't understand the point that several have made about "matchups". What might constitute a bad or a good match up? It seems to me that every team represents an opportunity to face a wide variety of players with a wide variety of strengths and weaknesses.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:09 am

It annoys me that the Pens announcers and sometimes management talk often about how it takes defensemen so long to mature. Maybe with some players it does, but i look around the league and there have been quite a few rookies playing every night and playing good solid hockey over the past several seasons. I think they should leave Despres in there every game and let him develop.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 am

RxBandit66 wrote:It annoys me that the Pens announcers and sometimes management talk often about how it takes defensemen so long to mature. Maybe with some players it does, but i look around the league and there have been quite a few rookies playing every night and playing good solid hockey over the past several seasons. I think they should leave Despres in there every game and let him develop.

Rookies play on other teams because other teams have 0 guys to fill that spot. They can't afford or attract veteran options, so they're forced to play a rookie every night.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:26 am

Tampa played 5 rookies last night.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:28 am

If risky plays/turnovers earned bench time, Malkin and Crosby would be hot-glued to the bench.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 am

columbia wrote:Tampa played 5 rookies last night.

Yzerman is rebuilding there... very different situation.

A better comparison might be Brandon Saad in Chicago. He's not just in the line up every night, but in the top 6.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:35 am

Pitt87 wrote:

A better comparison might be Brandon Saad in Chicago. He's not just in the line up every night, but in the top 6.

It's because the Blackhawks only have $3.7 mil left in cap space. That's not enough to fill a 1st or 2nd line hole.

Also, as mentioned, it's much easier to hide a FWD's mistake than it is to hide a D's mistake.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 am

Pitt87 wrote:

Comparing Bennet or Despres? If comparing to Bennet, then yes. The main difference being position.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:06 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:It annoys me that the Pens announcers and sometimes management talk often about how it takes defensemen so long to mature. Maybe with some players it does, but i look around the league and there have been quite a few rookies playing every night and playing good solid hockey over the past several seasons. I think they should leave Despres in there every game and let him develop.

Rookies play on other teams because other teams have 0 guys to fill that spot. They can't afford or attract veteran options, so they're forced to play a rookie every night.

I agree with this. No one wants to rush a player into the league before they are ready. So if you can give him sheltered minutes and play a veteran to spell him, why not bring him along slowly?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Comparing Bennet or Despres? If comparing to Bennet, then yes. The main difference being position.

Doesn't matter who you compare him to; Saad's played well despite matching up with the other teams best defenders. Agree its a difference, but better than comparing with a team in bottom quartile of the league giving minutes to their young players.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:02 pm

That's the whole point:

Garbage teams like Tamoa can afford to hand out minutes to rookies; the Pens need to be much more cautious about it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Experience wins championships.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:23 pm

I seem to remember Edzo tried to limit Crosby's minutes as a rookie and keep him off the 1st PP. I want a coach to do the opposite of anything Edzo ever did. Didn't Melrose try the same thing with Stamkos? At some point you have to throw a young player into the deep end and see what happens.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Which is what is happening with Bennett.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:25 pm

meow wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

I agree with this. No one wants to rush a player into the league before they are ready. So if you can give him sheltered minutes and play a veteran to spell him, why not bring him along slowly?

Because the rookie is better than the veteran, and the veteran is pretty much a mediocre player?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 pm

If someone can convince me that Despres is not one of the best 6 defensemen on the roster, then I'll listen to reasoning why he shouldn't be playing every night.

The fact is, he is one of the 6 best, he should be playing nightly.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:48 pm

skullman80 wrote:If someone can convince me that Despres is not one of the best 6 defensemen on the roster, then I'll listen to reasoning why he shouldn't be playing every night.

The fact is, he is one of the 6 best, he should be playing nightly.

I'm resolved to stop worrying about it. I like to see the guy play hockey, he makes some great plays.

I'm also not going to begrudge Engellend and Eaton who are also playing some very good hockey. Even Bortuzzo has been solid. The only defenseman who appears to be making stupid mistakes on a continuous basis is Orpik. If it comes to pass that Engellend and Eaton get in over Despres after being horrible on the ice then I might want to get itno the debate again.

Despres will be back in tonight and probably for a while so Letang will get rested up.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins