LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:50 am

Watched the Showtime documentary "The World According To Dick Cheney" last night.

It is absolutely staggering what a maniac that guy was..... indeed, what he freely admits to. An absolutely brilliant political operator, to be sure. A savvy manipulator whose chief expertise appears to have been quietly amassing power for himself.

The scary bit is that he so vigorously defends the use of 'any means at our disposal' to obtain intelligence, and thinks it would be irresponsible not to out of concerns of appearing to not be a 'nice guy'. Yes, that's it....... people object to torture because it makes us look bad. Not because it's ILLEGAL, or anything. It's the optics.

Brought back a lot of memories of just how terrible the Bush administration was, and brought into focus how the current administration isn't really that much better.... and in some measures is actually worse. Altho it did do a pretty good job of painting Bush himself as a sympathetic character. It seems he selected Cheney because of a very deep insecurity about his own competence on international affairs and inner Washington politicking. So between that and 9/11 it basically provided Cheney with a perfect storm to become, for all intents and purposes, the most powerful man in the world. All quietly and behind the scenes.

Spoiler:
The highlight of the documentary was the discussion about the mass resignation at the Department of Justice that almost came about over the warrantless wiretap program Cheney's office created. Long story short, Justice reversed its support of the program in early 2004 and refused to recertify its legality unless warrants were obtained on a case-by-case basis (as is, you know, normal). Cheney withheld this from Bush for months, until it came out at a White House briefing (while AG Ashcroft was deathly ill with pancreatitis) that somewhere around 30 top Justice officials - including the Director of the FBI, most top lawyers and probably even Aschroft himself - were within 24 hours of resigning their positions over the Administration's renewal of the program over Justice's lack of support.

That's when Deputy AG James Comey (Acting AG) told Bush directly what was going on. In a complete reversal, Bush immediately rescinded his renewal of the program and would only reinstate it if the recommended changes were enacted. (It seems Bush realized that it probably wouldn't look good in an election year if the leadership of his Department of Justice collectively quit because they thought their boss was acting outside the boundaries of the law.) Cheney went ballistic and what followed was a frank exchange of views between the Bush and Cheney advisers and lawyers from Justice. One of the Justice lawyers said "No good lawyer who has spent any amount of time analyzing this program thinks it's legal as-is." Cheney's general counsel - David Addington, the man who had originally signed off on the program at the White House - said "I've analyzed it and I think it's fine." The reply came back, "Right..... no good lawyers."

Ouch.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,084
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 am

I have mixed emotions on guys like Cheney and Rumsfeld serving for as long as they did.

Those guys were involved with the Frank Olson lawsuit debacle 30 years before they worked for the Bush administration. I see the value of having "experienced" people, but I don't think anyone needs to work in DC for that long.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,755
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:14 pm

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... -bill?lite

Assault Weapons Ban will not be included with gun legislation.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,726
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Shyster on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:37 pm

mac5155 wrote:http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/19/17373761-assault-weapons-ban-dropped-from-senate-bill?lite

Assault Weapons Ban will not be included with gun legislation.

I hope this means that people will stop hoarding ammunition. I'm having a hard time finding anything anywhere.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,754
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:44 pm

I thought of this investment idea a few years back:

your investment dollars will go towards the purchase of a share of guns and ammo. as the price of guns and ammo goes up/down, your share value will go up/down. when things really go to hell you can convert your shares into an arsenal.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,755
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Went shooting two Fridays ago and I nearly had an "un-commanded dumpex" when a box of 50 rounds of .45 ACP reloads rang up at over $45. A month ago, it was $30.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,084
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:05 pm

1 box a week, once a month make it 10, twice a year make it 100.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,908
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Banks to re-open on Monday in Cyprus. I'd think there will be a lot of high rollers that will be taking their dough elsewhere.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,752
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:23 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Went shooting two Fridays ago and I nearly had an "un-commanded dumpex" when a box of 50 rounds of .45 ACP reloads rang up at over $45. A month ago, it was $30.


Jeez, my box of 50 rounds of .40 were $19, and that was 2 weeks after fit hit the shan. I knew I should've bought more.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,726
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:37 am

Feds: No Warrant Needed to Track Your Car With a GPS Device
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/0 ... quirement/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,880
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:39 am

columbia wrote:Feds: No Warrant Needed to Track Your Car With a GPS Device
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/0 ... quirement/


<sigh>

Last night the wife and I actually had a serious talk about moving to Alaska. It's practically its own country but we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of gaining citizenship.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,908
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:03 am

This is one of those tricky things that I can actually see some merit to both positions.

On the one hand, if you are driving your car out on public roadways I don't understand how there can be any reasonable expectation of privacy solely as regards your car's physical position. Depending on where you are, there could quite literally be hundreds of eyes on you at any one time. What's inside the car is a different kettle of fish, of course. But I really have a hard time understanding the notion that determining a car's precise location is somehow a violation of Constitutional protections.

On the other hand, affixing a device to said car to obtain its position seems to me as crossing a line. Like if you're walking down the street and your hot neighbor is walking nekkid through her living room with the blinds drawn and you see everything....... that's different than if you wait til nightfall and scurry down to her bedroom window and hide in the shrubbery to peer in while she changes. The former is something that's (for all intents and purposes) public. The latter required you to do something specific (and rather creepy) and you and only you are privy to the information gleaned from that action.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,084
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:08 am

tifosi77 wrote:This is one of those tricky things that I can actually see some merit to both positions.

On the one hand, if you are driving your car out on public roadways I don't understand how there can be any reasonable expectation of privacy solely as regards your car's physical position. Depending on where you are, there could quite literally be hundreds of eyes on you at any one time. What's inside the car is a different kettle of fish, of course. But I really have a hard time understanding the notion that determining a car's precise location is somehow a violation of Constitutional protections.

On the other hand, affixing a device to said car to obtain its position seems to me as crossing a line. Like if you're walking down the street and your hot neighbor is walking nekkid through her living room with the blinds drawn and you see everything....... that's different than if you wait til nightfall and scurry down to her bedroom window and hide in the shrubbery to peer in while she changes. The former is something that's (for all intents and purposes) public. The latter required you to do something specific (and rather creepy) and you and only you are privy to the information gleaned from that action.


Whats so "rather creepy" about hiding in shrubbery?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,244
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:10 am

I'm sensing an incoming Monty Python reference.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,880
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby stinky on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
columbia wrote:Feds: No Warrant Needed to Track Your Car With a GPS Device
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/0 ... quirement/


<sigh>

Last night the wife and I actually had a serious talk about moving to Alaska. It's practically its own country but we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of gaining citizenship.


Oddly enough, my wife and I have been discussing moving from NYS to Idaho. It would be a very different experience for us to go form the most liberal state in the nation to one of the most libertarian states in the nation. Sadly I think we are tied to this state for another 10ish years until the kids move on to college (or trade school, military, etc)
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:38 am

stinky wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
columbia wrote:Feds: No Warrant Needed to Track Your Car With a GPS Device
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/0 ... quirement/


<sigh>

Last night the wife and I actually had a serious talk about moving to Alaska. It's practically its own country but we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of gaining citizenship.


Oddly enough, my wife and I have been discussing moving from NYS to Idaho. It would be a very different experience for us to go form the most liberal state in the nation to one of the most libertarian states in the nation. Sadly I think we are tied to this state for another 10ish years until the kids move on to college (or trade school, military, etc)


We figure our son is 16 months so if we are going to do this, the sooner the better. Alaska isn't even libertarian, it's practically sovereign.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,908
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:44 am

Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,059
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 am

Hockeynut! wrote:Here you go, fellows.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb ... or-walled/


Yeah...I don't want to move to Johnstown

An apartment in Anchorage or Homer or Wasilla would be fine....
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,908
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 am

I think Alaska is gorgeous (in pictures, never been there) and I'd love to visit, but I don't think I could handle living there. Anchorage gets something like 5 1/2 hours of daylight in the winter and then in the summer, you have almost 20 hours of daylight, but it's usually ~60 degrees and rainy. It just seems like a depressing climate.

If I was going to move, Maine would be my first choice. I absolutely loved that state. Western NC is also awesome, especially in the mountains (the High Point area was really nice).
Last edited by Hockeynut! on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,059
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:03 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,880
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Factorial on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 am

Do it.

Compare the Cost of Living:
Your Current Salary: 100,000.00
City of Origin: Washington
Destination City: Anchorage
If you make: $100,000.00, you will have to make: $46,203.67
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,122
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:27 am

Hockeynut! wrote:I think Alaska is gorgeous (in pictures, never been there) and I'd love to visit, but I don't think I could handle living there. Anchorage gets something like 5 1/2 hours of daylight in the winter and then in the summer, you have almost 20 hours of daylight, but it's usually ~60 degrees and rainy. It just seems like a depressing climate.

If I was going to move, Maine would be my first choice. I absolutely loved that state. Western NC is also awesome, especially in the mountains (the High Point area was really nice).


Well said. I loved Alaska when I was there for six months on a CG mission, but I could never live there permanently. It also helps that I was there from April to October. Ketchikan, Kodiak, Dutch Harbor, Nome.

In Nome, there was a line outside the bar at like 9 AM.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,557
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Shyster on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:41 am

stinky wrote:Oddly enough, my wife and I have been discussing moving from NYS to Idaho. It would be a very different experience for us to go form the most liberal state in the nation to one of the most libertarian states in the nation. Sadly I think we are tied to this state for another 10ish years until the kids move on to college (or trade school, military, etc)

You might want to check carefully into where you’re planning on moving to in Idaho. I recently heard a new term that I think should be a word: Califorming. A play on the concept of terraforming, Califorming is when people flee the high taxes, incompetent government, etc. of California and move to free states, but then vote for the same sort of politicians and demand the same progressive crapola that ruined California in the first place. Places like Idaho are in the sights.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,754
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:42 am

That's a very interesting concept.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,557
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:44 am

My aunt is a limousine liberal and she moved from CA to AZ. Watch out Phoenix!
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,880
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: meecrofilm and 4 guests


e-mail