Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Postby pcm on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Just like Tangradi, the Pens didn't have time to wait for Boychuk to develop. It's sortof silly that they claimed him in the first place, wasting time on him that should have been given to Jeffrey.

I'm not sure what the organization thinks of Jeffrey at this point. He's proven a capable performer in pretty much every role he's been given. Yet he's used only as a fill-in... I hope that he sticks around next season to replace Cooke or Kennedy, as he's cheaper and seems like potentially a more effective player at this point. The only knock on him would be that he hasn't proven he can perform over an 82 game season; but he hasn't been given a chance either. His value in a trade < his potential value to this team as an effective 3rd liner (who can move up and down the lineup ala Dupuis, Talbot, etc.) making under $1m.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:51 pm

pcm wrote:Just like Tangradi, the Pens didn't have time to wait for Boychuk to develop. It's sortof silly that they claimed him in the first place, wasting time on him that should have been given to Jeffrey.

I'm not sure what the organization thinks of Jeffrey at this point. He's proven a capable performer in pretty much every role he's been given. Yet he's used only as a fill-in... I hope that he sticks around next season to replace Cooke or Kennedy, as he's cheaper and seems like potentially a more effective player at this point. The only knock on him would be that he hasn't proven he can perform over an 82 game season; but he hasn't been given a chance either. His value in a trade < his potential value to this team as an effective 3rd liner (who can move up and down the lineup ala Dupuis, Talbot, etc.) making under $1m.

Just like Tangradi

Even now that he had a chance and is back down to the lowest ice time on a team that was going to give him a "real chance" you can't admit that he's a turd. Impressive. I stopped reading after that first line.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
pcm wrote:Just like Tangradi, the Pens didn't have time to wait for Boychuk to develop. It's sortof silly that they claimed him in the first place, wasting time on him that should have been given to Jeffrey.

Just like Tangradi

Even now that he had a chance and is back down to the lowest ice time on a team that was going to give him a "real chance" you can't admit that he's a turd. Impressive. I stopped reading after that first line.

Agree. It's not about "getting a chance" or "waiting for development" in Tangradi's case...he's simply a marginal at best NHL player that is greatly hindered by mediocre-to-poor skating and a rather obvious lack of competitiveness at the NHL level. Sometimes chances have to be earned and then taken advantage of when presented; Tangradi fails on both of those.

One plus Boychuk has over Tangradi is that he's a good skater by NHL standards. You can give a guy that can move more chances than an upright slug who doesn't seem to be 100% mentally there on every shift.

Guys like Rich Peverley and Juicy Jokinen came off the scrap heap of the NHL to become productive players because they had great work ethics and just kept working until they got another chance and then made it. Boychuck has a great opportunity for himself in Nashville and no star forwards or proven scorers surrounding him to take away playing time. He'll not get a better chance to stick in the NHL than what he has in Nashville and he'll also learn what being a two-way forward is all about very quickly in Trotz's system.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:41 pm

The Boychuckers rise again. Yall are a prickly bunch...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:01 pm

pcm wrote:The Boychuckers rise again. Yall are a prickly bunch...

:roll:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm

The team who is led in goals by Gabriel Bourque has placed Zach Boychuk on waivers today (Nashville).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Wow, waived, what now -- 3 times -- in one season so far?? Ouch.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Boychuk's goal is to play for every NHL franchise this season, must be an ahole in the locker room
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Pitts wrote:Wow, waived, what now -- 3 times -- in one season so far?? Ouch.

Makes sense, if you are making a move and expose a player to waivers, move the person who you got for nothing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Id rather have Boychuk than Glass right now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 pm

"Not I," said the blind man.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 pm

DelPen wrote:Id rather have Boychuk than Glass right now.

Glass tied Bonvie last night for most games played as a Pen by a non-goalie without a Point. But No. I just don't see Boychuk as a 4th line role. Though they have the same number of points as a Pen.

re Waiver rules... since the Pens had previous, would Pens be able to claim & send him down to WBS? (assuming we're not at contract max?) (Also assumes he's not claimed by someone with a higher waiver priority)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Hmm...I believe if he made it around to Pittsburgh again, yes, we could claim him and send him down without requiring waivers again. Don't hold me to that though as it's extremely rare. We will not I don't believe. I think Carolina will probably nab him (their AHL club needs help), waive him once more and send him down.

It's a Beechy kind of season for Boychuk...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Sloppy 3rds? No chance in hell.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Carolina has claimed Zack Boychuk. I think they just put two players on IR, so he'll likely stick with the club for now.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Not too surprised there.

do they ever reveal which other teams, if any, made an unsuccesful claim?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Never, ever have I seen that. And even upon asking, that information is seldom given up.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:32 pm

mikey287 wrote:Carolina has claimed Zack Boychuk. I think they just put two players on IR, so he'll likely stick with the club for now.

If waived, he still has to clear waivers since Pittsburgh was his most recent team prior to Nashville waiving him, correct? Is that how that works? Or can Carolina now waive him and its not required to clear waivers?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Your question confused me with the wording, but I think your intent was, "can Carolina just send him down to the AHL now?" and the answer is no. He must first clear waivers. If all 29 other teams pass on him, he can go down. If Nashville re-claims him within a certain window, he can be assigned to their AHL affiliate without re-requiring waivers, AIUI.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:52 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Boychuk's goal is to play for every NHL franchise this season, must be an ahole in the locker room

That's a pretty big jump to make. More likely: he's got the hockey ability of a fringe NHLer.

Also, he didn't add a team to his "goal" on this latest claim because CAR had him in the first place.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:51 pm

I'd rather have Tangradi than Glass, if we're comparing useless.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Negative.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:54 pm

mikey287 wrote:Negative.

x 1,000,000
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jprolley on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:07 pm

waived by carolina already lol
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Pens will claim him, waive him, Nashville will claim him, waive him, Carolina will claim him again.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins