The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Heyman with his ponytail untied looks like that cartoon The Critic

IT STINKS!
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:51 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Oh the thing I hated most about last nights show was the lighting setup. I was in the upper bowl and the lights were constantly on and blinding to everyone up top. It was awful. They weren't like this during the Super show in Dec. What the hell was going on. Did anyone else experience this? I was in section 234 row A.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:10 pm

I just read a quote from an IGN recap of RAW (the author actually apologized to Pittsburgh about how bad the show was). Anyway...

It's sad that 4 out of the 6 guys that will main event Mania are just guys that only wrestle once or twice a year. The company just can't build stars

That is a huge problem right there.

Should you be building characters to make people want to pay money to see them? You have a a group like 3MB, who's only purpose is to job to everyone and be a total joke. Why not actually do something with them to get people to take them seriously. I'm not saying any of those guys are going to be the next Cena, it's just an example of roles that are doomed for failure. Likely, Fandango will serve the same purpose.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:05 pm

I totally disagree with that. Punk and Bryan are still big names. If HHH, the rock, the undertaker, etc ate going to be on a card at this point, they are going to be at the top of the card on a special event.

After they are gone for good, you still have guys like punk and Bryan... A few more years of cena... Other big name vets like big show and Seamus... Then you have guys like Ambrose and Cesaro ready to step up. Plus, the current crop of nxt is honestly basically the best guys on the Indie circuit for the last 5-10 years. 4 or 5 potential superstars out of there.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about the next couple of years
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:20 pm

The biggest problem with Mania right now is the WWE champion is rarely on TV. The most prestigious title is a non factor.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:22 pm

nocera wrote:The biggest problem with Mania right now is the WWE champion is rarely on TV. The most prestigious title is a non factor.

I actually find more problematic that it's a completely underwhelming match. There's no buildup because he's not on TV, but also the match is not seriously in question. Cena wins. Add that the two won't put on a good match, and who cares?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
nocera wrote:The biggest problem with Mania right now is the WWE champion is rarely on TV. The most prestigious title is a non factor.

I actually find more problematic that it's a completely underwhelming match. There's no buildup because he's not on TV, but also the match is not seriously in question. Cena wins. Add that the two won't put on a good match, and who cares?

Yeah, the ending isn't even in question. A far cry from the days of Warrior/Hogan :(
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 pm

3 out of the top 4 matches at mania, have winners that are stone cold locks.

Cena will beat Rock
HHH will beat Lesnar
Taker will beat Punk

That's what makes Mania not exciting to me so far, 3 out of the 4 top matches there is no intrigue on who wins or loses.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:48 pm

skullman80 wrote:3 out of the top 4 matches at mania, have winners that are stone cold locks.

Cena will beat Rock
HHH will beat Lesnar
Taker will beat Punk

That's what makes Mania not exciting to me so far, 3 out of the 4 top matches there is no intrigue on who wins or loses.

I'm not so sure of HHH going over. His buddies Flair and HBK both "retired" due to losing a WM match. All he'd have to give up is 2 or 3 matches a year.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm

I think the kafabe egregiousness of Punk's actions require 'Taker winning. But who care? Even if Punk is the darling of the smarks, it will still be enjoyable to watch the good guy vindicate the death of the beloved manager.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:56 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:I think the kafabe egregiousness of Punk's actions require 'Taker winning. But who care? Even if Punk is the darling of the smarks, it will still be enjoyable to watch the good guy vindicate the death of the beloved manager.

Yeah it would be the ultimate insult to injury (or the other way around) for punk to win. I still kind of think its gonna happen, though.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:04 pm

nocera wrote:
skullman80 wrote:3 out of the top 4 matches at mania, have winners that are stone cold locks.

Cena will beat Rock
HHH will beat Lesnar
Taker will beat Punk

I'm not so sure of HHH going over. His buddies Flair and HBK both "retired" due to losing a WM match. All he'd have to give up is 2 or 3 matches a year.

HHH already got beat by Lesnar once, got his arm broken what twice? He is getting his win back.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:05 pm

I bet Taker would want Punk to end the streak, he's wanted to other wrestlers to end the streak in the past, but Vince won't let him do it. That's why I think there is no way Punk wins.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Spangler wrote:I just read a quote from an IGN recap of RAW (the author actually apologized to Pittsburgh about how bad the show was). Anyway...

It's sad that 4 out of the 6 guys that will main event Mania are just guys that only wrestle once or twice a year. The company just can't build stars

Should you be building characters to make people want to pay money to see them? You have a a group like 3MB, who's only purpose is to job to everyone and be a total joke. Why not actually do something with them to get people to take them seriously. I'm not saying any of those guys are going to be the next Cena, it's just an example of roles that are doomed for failure. Likely, Fandango will serve the same purpose.

He's doomed because you're pronouncing his name wrong. It's Faaaaaaaaaaan....daaaaaannnnn.... ;)

I think we had a similar discussion here a few months ago or maybe I read it on another board. Not only is the WWE not developing stars, but your next tier of stars are already in their mid 30s to early 40s with no real potential on the horizon. That's not saying that any member from The Shield or even 3MB could break out at any second (who I believe are all 29 and younger), but with the current pattern, nobody really advances unless a) Cena takes a role that involves not headlining a PPV, or b) Vince/HHH decides to put full-time roster members in the main event (not you, Cena) instead of guys who shows up on RAW 5x a year.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm

JS© wrote:
Spangler wrote:I just read a quote from an IGN recap of RAW (the author actually apologized to Pittsburgh about how bad the show was). Anyway...

He's doomed because you're pronouncing his name wrong. It's Faaaaaaaaaaan....daaaaaannnnn.... ;)

I think we had a similar discussion here a few months ago or maybe I read it on another board. Not only is the WWE not developing stars, but your next tier of stars are already in their mid 30s to early 40s with no real potential on the horizon. That's not saying that any member from The Shield or even 3MB could break out at any second (who I believe are all 29 and younger), but with the current pattern, nobody really advances unless a) Cena takes a role that involves not headlining a PPV, or b) Vince/HHH decides to put full-time roster members in the main event (not you, Cena) instead of guys who shows up on RAW 5x a year.

Not only that but they seem to try and push the wrong people. Recently Clay, Tensai, and now Fandango... although every time a Ryback gets over it just reaffirms their method of doing things.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Ambrose should be a future world champion after the Shield runs its course if they play their cards right.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:30 pm

skullman80 wrote:Ambrose should be a future world champion after the Shield runs its course if they play their cards right.

Agreed. Give Ambrose a microphone and he'll do the rest.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:48 am

Froggy wrote:I totally disagree with that. Punk and Bryan are still big names. If HHH, the rock, the undertaker, etc ate going to be on a card at this point, they are going to be at the top of the card on a special event.

After they are gone for good, you still have guys like punk and Bryan... A few more years of cena... Other big name vets like big show and Seamus... Then you have guys like Ambrose and Cesaro ready to step up. Plus, the current crop of nxt is honestly basically the best guys on the Indie circuit for the last 5-10 years. 4 or 5 potential superstars out of there.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about the next couple of years

I agree the WWE has the talent to work with, but I have no confidence they will know how to handle them.

I've been very excited they brought in guys like Bryan and Ambrose, while also giving Punk his push. But meanwhile, you have guys like Ziggler, who's been in limbo with the Money in the Bank forever, jobbing to everyone in the process.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:32 pm

DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:02 pm

I find Bryan dull. Bad gimmick. Way too small. You dont need to be Ryback but wrestlers either need an awesome gimmick or be larger than life.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Bryan is saddled with a bad comic gimmick with Kane that has run it's course. He's one of if not the best wrestlers that WWE has from an in ring standpoint. He's pretty good on the mic, but they don't ever let him talk other than comic bits. He's plenty big, and plenty good enough to be one of the top guys in WWE.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:04 pm

I think Bryan might have the best theme music ever. And a very epic beard.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:12 pm

What I would love them to do with Bryan is have him and Kane drop the tag belts and then Bryan just snaps and destroys Kane. Like so bad that guys from the back have to run out and stop him. you instantly have a scary heel. Then, put him in a program with Seamus or someone. Keep him working against guys that are bigger, and make it so he's always a threat.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR