Listening to Mike Lange

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Listening to Mike Lange

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:05 am

Hey guys. Been lurking around these forums for a while, finally decided to join now that I need an answer.
When I watch games via NHL.com or local feeds (WSH) is there a way to delay mike langes radio casting by the 7 second delay? It can be a bit stressful to here what is happening before I see it.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Listening to Mike Lange

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 am

I'm pretty sure there is, and I'm pretty sure people here do it. I can't really help you beyond advising you that there is likely an answer to be had here.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby roland on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 am

If you have a DVR, you can try to pause the TV until Lange catches up or buy one of these.

http://www.sportsyncradio.com
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:44 am

The dvd solution sounds like ti should work. I would do anything to not have to listen to Pee-air McGuire rave about how Claude Girouix is the greatest player on the planet.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:56 am

If the problem is that the radio is ahead of the TV, pausing the tv with dvr is going to exacerbate the problem.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the riddler on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Sports Sync Radio will work if the radio call is ahead of the TV. You can delay the radio call for up to 10 seconds I believe. I have directv at home and listen to the game on a radio. The radio call is usually behind the TV by 4 or 5 seconds. So I just pause the game until the radio catches up. Does anyone know why the radio stations don't try to sync up the call with the game?
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Hmm. I don't have a DVR. Is the sports Sync Radio going to work even 400 miles away from Pittsburgh? I won't be able to receive the FM transmission down here.

I think its time to hit up my tech department at work. If I find out any decent answers I will let you guys know.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Slick, Arnold on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Stevens25 wrote:Hey guys. Been lurking around these forums for a while, finally decided to join now that I need an answer.
When I watch games via NHL.com or local feeds (WSH) is there a way to delay mike langes radio casting by the 7 second delay? It can be a bit stressful to here what is happening before I see it.

The radio call on the Pens mobile app is well behind the play and should allow you to sync up with your DVR.
Slick, Arnold
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 pm

seems like a lot of work for little gain. but i'm not much of a lange fan, and i hate his catch phrases.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:59 pm

this is something I do. I've posted in a few home theater forums about why its happening but havent got a response. its not exactly what you want but it might interest you:

Many programs now are broadcast with a secondary language track (usually spanish). You hear the CBS announcers say they do when they are starting a football game.

Depending on how you get your tv feed (antenna, cable right from wall, set top box) you can set it to listen to this secondary audio track.

Here is what I've found interesting. For both Steelers and Penguins games (on Root at least, havent tried NBC or NBCSN) if I select the second language track (which I assumed was Spanish) you don't hear any commentators or play by play - just the crowd, stadium announcers, pa system, players yelling/hitting into each other, and other playing surface level noise. It won't help you get the radio audio, but I think it's a pretty neat way to watch the games - its more like youre there. And if you did manage to get the radio sync'd up you might still enjoy it.

I don't know if I'm not getting any non english audio because I have something set wrong in my chain or because there isnt any, but I'm not complaining.

To get the radio synced, you could buy an atsc/fm tuner for your computer. You would plug that into bunny ears, and use radio recording software to pause and delay the same way you might with a tv DVR. I haven't screwed around with anything like that in a while but I used to record talk radio like that.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:27 pm

shmenguin wrote:seems like a lot of work for little gain. but i'm not much of a lange fan, and i hate his catch phrases.

and thanks for posting
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby beLIEve on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:40 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Here is what I've found interesting. For both Steelers and Penguins games (on Root at least, havent tried NBC or NBCSN) if I select the second language track (which I assumed was Spanish) you don't hear any commentators or play by play - just the crowd, stadium announcers, pa system, players yelling/hitting into each other, and other playing surface level noise. It won't help you get the radio audio, but I think it's a pretty neat way to watch the games - its more like youre there. And if you did manage to get the radio sync'd up you might still enjoy it.

If true, this should be stickied for all eternity. Best thing I've heard in a long time. I can't wait to try this for the next game.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:43 pm

How do you select the different language track?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:04 pm

MRandall25 wrote:How do you select the different language track?

it depends on your tv source.

if you use atsc/qam (meaning an antenna or cable without a box) it would be the SAP button on your tv remote.

if you use a set top box it is probably under the audio options in the set up or settings menu. thats how it is for tivo too.

sometimes the secondary track is a descriptive track for the blind.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:11 pm

I'll have to give that a try next game that's not parroted by NHLN or NBCSN.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:11 pm

SAP button. Got it
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:15 pm

ive always thought Mike Langes voice on the radio sounded very staticy - like he was broadcast on AM. borques comes through very clear but Langes always sounded like it was very low bandwidth. weird.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Grew up with Lange from the early nineties through the days of Morozov and Nedved. Even during that Awkward year when Pens fans hated Stu Barnes for leaving. (How embarrassing that is to look back at).
I would also like to force a couple caps fans down here to listen to a decent announcer and not the robotic goons they have announcing their games.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:53 pm

thepittman wrote:
shmenguin wrote:seems like a lot of work for little gain. but i'm not much of a lange fan, and i hate his catch phrases.

and thanks for posting

lolololol
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:57 pm

i wish there was a way to sync up the radio while at the game but that's impossible since the radio is behind.

the woman behind me is so insanely annoying I've started listening to the online feed which is around 10 seconds behind every home game just so i don't have to hear her stupid comments anymore.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm

we hated Stu Barnes for leaving? I must have missed something, somewhere. Thought he was traded for Barnaby?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm

I've tried to do this in the past with some success (radio call in front of TV action). There is a piece of software that will delay line in audio for a computer. My method was to use 2 computers (or at least 2 sound cards) to do this. But this was before the days of tablets/phones that could send the signal (I swear I'm not old enough to be using that line). Nowadays you could run the audio off of a device and into the line in from a PC/laptop through the sound delay software and out to speakers. I don't recall the name of the software, but I still have it installed at home. I can find the name if interested.

The problems with doing this were that A) it was at least a small pain to sync up because the delay would have to build up in the program (typically 6-9 seconds) and any change would reset, so it would take a couple minutes to complete and B) the audio sync would drift (either from tv or radio) and so the delay would become large (seconds) over the course of the game and would need to be redone at least once.

Also, it may be possible that something similar exists as a tablet/phone app or that a better program has come along since then (2005ish). But software solutions do exist. Another option is a hardware delay.

Edit: here is the software I used - http://www.daansystems.com/radiodelay/
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shakes on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:52 pm

relantel wrote:we hated Stu Barnes for leaving? I must have missed something, somewhere. Thought he was traded for Barnaby?

He definitely was. I still hate that trade. And then Stu scored a big goal against the Pens in the Lemieux comeback series.

Man, time flies.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If the problem is that the radio is ahead of the TV, pausing the tv with dvr is going to exacerbate the problem.

I listen to Lange and Bourque via the Pens' home page's "Penguins Radio 24/7" on my laptop. In instances when the radio is ahead of the TV, I hit the pause or stop button once or twice and it seems to bring the audio stream back a bit. I'm surprised, however, at how often the radio side on my laptop is just about even with the TV--I'd say 1 out of every 3 games I get two out of three periods in sync without doing a thing. Good enough for me.

When I go back home, and the Pens are on TV, I take my laptop with me or use a family member's to listen to Lange and Bourque because it's "closer" to the TV than the X. Try the radio via the Pens' home page even if you're local! Good luck.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins