Is Simon Depres the best prospect since Crosby

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Is Simon Depres the best prospect since Crosby

Postby headh on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:18 am

Idoit40fans wrote:There is a whole lot of middle ground between playing "poorly" and being the best defenseman on the team.

What exactly does Paul Martin do better than Despres? Please try and be specific. That would make you unique on this board for this particular topic. To me 47 is a bigger and better skating version of Paul Martin
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 am

Protected minutes refer to the fact that he is out there under controlled conditions. For example defending the 3rd and 4th lines of the opponent rather than the top 2 scoring lines. Playing PK only against the 2nd unit. That sort of thing.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:23 am

Beveridge wrote:Protected minutes refer to the fact that he is out there under controlled conditions. For example defending the 3rd and 4th lines of the opponent rather than the top 2 scoring lines. Playing PK only against the 2nd unit. That sort of thing.

Thank you for that explanation. I really do appreciate the specificity of your reply.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:24 am

headh wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:There is a whole lot of middle ground between playing "poorly" and being the best defenseman on the team.

What exactly does Paul Martin do better than Despres? Please try and be specific. That would make you unique on this board for this particular topic. To me 47 is a bigger and better skating version of Paul Martin

For starters, Paul Martin plays 25+ a night against the other teams' top lines, and he does it pretty well.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:25 am

headh wrote:

Plays against opponents best players, plays 30 minutes a game, reliably stays in position, sits back when he's supposed to, steps up when he's supposed to, penalty kills against the oppositions top unit, runs the top powerplay. There are a few, which ones are your favorites?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 am

slappybrown wrote:Nizzy is definitely the top PR heel right now.

You're just trying to troll me into saying something crazy.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 am

To add: PFM scores some BFG. Where did his BOMB come from?
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Beveridge on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:30 am

SoupOrSam wrote:To add: PFM scores some BFG. Where did his BOMB come from?

I would wager that his wrist that he broke 3 seasons ago is fully healed being some of it.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
headh wrote:

Plays against opponents best players, plays 30 minutes a game, reliably stays in position, sits back when he's supposed to, steps up when he's supposed to, penalty kills against the oppositions top unit, runs the top powerplay. There are a few, which ones are your favorites?

I get where you guys are coming from on the match up portion of your thoughts and posts. It is a significant point that I concede and learned.

Where I get confused is when you mention "reliably stays in position, sits back when he's supposed to, steps up when he's supposed to." I think those are all strengths of SD. I am coming to realize that he needs to prove that what he's doing against lesser competition and with the 2nd team PP and PK are transferable to first unit level of competition.

Thank you for the exchange. I believe SD is a star in the making but now realize that he needs to prove more against better. I think he definitely will do just that. In case you couldn't tell. :lol:
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 am

again, there is a difference between saying "despres isn't as good as letang or Martin at this point in his career" and "despres is not a good defenseman." His most glaring weakness right now, like most rookies, is in his decision making process.

He has all the physical tools, and experience will definitely smooth out the mental stuff. He is going to be a top 4 guy. No rush to put him there right now
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:48 am

I just saw the "Randull" thing...I'm not sure what made me laugh more, "Randull" or Nizzy claiming it was a mistype.

Can't wait to see Despres develop further. Loved his physicality last night as well.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:48 am

Yeah, I definitely think he has more upside than Lady Gogo. but I thought extremely little of goligoski...

So the metrics even say that despres has thrived in a limited role. Nothing wrong with that. At least he's thriving. He's moving forward. He'll be letang's full time partner next year, hopefully.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:50 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I just saw the "Randull" thing...I'm not sure what made me laugh more, "Randull" or Nizzy claiming it was a mistype.

Can't wait to see Despres develop further. Loved his physicality last night as well.

Because his name is Randall and he's dull... get it?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:57 am

No comment
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:24 pm

headh wrote:

I haven't seen Paul Martin fall down while trying to turn himself around as the opposing player flies by him yet.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby headh on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:58 pm

headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Few, if any, of us are actual experts with legitimate credentials, so this is all opinion anyway. But in my opinion, Despres is nowhere close to stepping in to replace any of the top four. Experience and great consistency is just too important on D. Especially through a seven game playoff series, the intense scrutiny of which would certainly expose weaknesses to exploit in an inexperienced player.

If the Pens were in development mode, this would definitely be an option. But for a win-now cup contender, it would be negligent to bank on it.

As a win-now team, despite his potential and relatively strong play, he might be the best opportunity to significantly improve the depth of the team for this year and perhaps next through a trade. Especially because the Pens have depth in transition D on the roster and defenseman prospects.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 pm

In that same vein, the Pens are going to be in "win-now" more or less, for as long as they have Sid and Geno on the roster -- obviously they will need to develop young talent that can step in and help them do just that during that time period.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Look, everyone knows how I am. I get freaked out real easily. I get emotional over hockey, it actually really bothers me. I really feel like Bylsma is a good hockey coach, but inexperienced, and has some serious flaws that have been exposed. I'm sorry I get mad around here, it just helps to take my frustration out. I definitely was just being a jerk to Mikey about the Pouliot stuff because I don't like soff defenseman and I felt like he was just another Goligoski.

Its almost more enjoyable for me watching a 2006 Penguin team because no serious expectations yet. This current core has the expectation of a cup run almost every year now. I just don't understand why you would not go with the young 20 year old Despres, big body, playing well. Instead they use guys that have been in the minors most of their careers...and the continuing of playing time for Kennedy, Adams, Glass makes me sick that Bylsma lets this go on. These guys need to go. Keep Adams if we have a number 1 PK, but he don't..so why is he even he? I think Adams/Glass has brought down Vitale some.

But anyways thanks for putting up with my crap everyone, and my spam/annoying posts at times. I really like this place, a lot of great hockey minds to hang out with during work and such..
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:53 pm

If it makes you feel any better, Pouliot is actually a pretty chippy player. He's had a couple fights this year and gets a lot of penalties for overzealous stickwork along the boards and in front of the net. 60 PIMs in 44 games this season.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:47 pm

yes.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:09 am

Letang has played in 2 SC finals, an All Star game, has won a Cup, and has been a Norris candidate the past several seasons when healthy.

I love the way Despres plays the game, but until he gets a resume or some hardware, Tanger is by far the best player to come out of the organization during the Crosby era.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:14 am

Nizzy wrote:Look, everyone knows how I am. I get freaked out real easily. I get emotional over hockey, it actually really bothers me. I really feel like Bylsma is a good hockey coach, but inexperienced, and has some serious flaws that have been exposed. I'm sorry I get mad around here, it just helps to take my frustration out. I definitely was just being a jerk to Mikey about the Pouliot stuff because I don't like soff defenseman and I felt like he was just another Goligoski.

Its almost more enjoyable for me watching a 2006 Penguin team because no serious expectations yet. This current core has the expectation of a cup run almost every year now. I just don't understand why you would not go with the young 20 year old Despres, big body, playing well. Instead they use guys that have been in the minors most of their careers...and the continuing of playing time for Kennedy, Adams, Glass makes me sick that Bylsma lets this go on. These guys need to go. Keep Adams if we have a number 1 PK, but he don't..so why is he even he? I think Adams/Glass has brought down Vitale some.

But anyways thanks for putting up with my crap everyone, and my spam/annoying posts at times. I really like this place, a lot of great hockey minds to hang out with during work and such..

Agree with most of this. I don't know why they can't dress 7 defensemen and sit a forward. Letang does not need to play 30 minutes every game, especially when the team has a multiple goal lead. Adams/Glass/Kennedy don't ALL need to dress every single game. Despres is young and will make mistakes, but he can turn a game around instantly with a stretch pass or a goal. Guys like that should be in the lineup.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 am

Derrick Pouliot ‏@dpouliot51 9m
Playoffs start tomorrow! Couldn't be more excited! #thisiswhatweplayfor #excited #hawks #letsgo http://instagr.am/p/XH_RPLGNFW/
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins