Listening to Mike Lange

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Listening to Mike Lange

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:28 pm

the riddler wrote:Sports Sync Radio will work if the radio call is ahead of the TV. You can delay the radio call for up to 10 seconds I believe. I have directv at home and listen to the game on a radio. The radio call is usually behind the TV by 4 or 5 seconds. So I just pause the game until the radio catches up. Does anyone know why the radio stations don't try to sync up the call with the game?

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the radio station to match what the TV is putting out. Has to do with satellite feeds bouncing from the arena to the satellite to the network and thus to the cable companies. For example, when the ROOT studio hosts toss out to Steigy during the pregame show, they can hear each other via headset thanks to phone lines and there's often no lag (now if they were throwing it from Pittsburgh to say, Kabul, it would be a bit of a delay...watch CNN sometimes and you'll notice this more). However, if Steigy and Errey are describing video and they roll it from the studio, there will be a small delay so it'll sound like Errey's behind in his analysis.

Radio signals work similarly but since it's more over the air, there isn't as much lag involved in what goes on at the arena to when you're actually hearing it.

If you can find someone willing to do it, next time there's a game, call a friend who is at the game and just have them count the clock down for you as they see it and you follow it on your TV. Your feed will be a second or two behind.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:48 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:Your feed will be a second or two behind.

That reminds me. Our downstairs TV is a two or three seconds ahead of our upstairs TV. If the kids are watching the game, we can hear them yell for a goal a second before we see it upstairs. It's pretty funny.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Admin wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:Your feed will be a second or two behind.

That reminds me. Our downstairs TV is a two or three seconds ahead of our upstairs TV. If the kids are watching the game, we can hear them yell for a goal a second before we see it upstairs. It's pretty funny.

Do you have FiOS? The TV with the dumb box (direct signal) is slightly ahead of the TV with the smart (recording) box. Sounds bassackwards, I know.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:20 am

I've also noticed that SD channels are ahead of HD channels.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:40 am

Both are FiOS DVRs but the upstairs is a newer model.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:50 am

thepittman wrote:
shmenguin wrote:seems like a lot of work for little gain. but i'm not much of a lange fan, and i hate his catch phrases.

and thanks for posting

:thumb: :lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:11 am

glad i could contribute :P
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:11 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the radio station to match what the TV is putting out. Has to do with satellite feeds bouncing from the arena to the satellite to the network and thus to the cable companies.

I think you might have luck doing this for OTA broadcasts you receive via antenna (like Steeler games on CBS, Fox, and NBC). The original stereophonic tv broadcasts were done by broadcasting the tv signal at the tv station and then a local radio station brodcasting an FM signal in stereo sound. They sync'd up well enough to match.

A 7 or 10 second delay might cause a problem, but I think both radio and tv producers would use them so it might be a wash.
Last edited by pittsoccer33 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14 am

I enjoy Mike Lange, but it's just too much of a PITA to try and sync it up, especially living outside the area. I like Errey anyway.

That being said, I usually will listen to his calls after the game.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the riddler on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:09 pm

I noticed games on NBC are usually perfectly synced up with the radio, not sure about Internet stream. NBCSN and Root games are usually ahead of the radio significantly. I assume it may have something to do with the cable provider. When I had Comcast (I have directv now) it seemed like the radio was always ahead of the action on the TV.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby moondart on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Here is a solution: get rid of Steigy so the "Root broadcast" is better!! Then you don't have to!!

Its embarassing how Errey has to make up for that guys homer bias and such...
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:52 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I enjoy Mike Lange, but it's just too much of a PITA to try and sync it up, especially living outside the area. I like Errey anyway.

That being said, I usually will listen to his calls after the game.

For Pens-Flyers, do you listen to Jackson and Clement/Jones? I can't take it when Jackson calmly, quickly, and in a low voice does the call and suddenly there's "A SHAAAAAAHHHHHT!" I leap out of my chair even if I'm in the next room. :lol:

I get annoyed when fans of other teams think the Pens employ Steigerwald. I'll only speak for myself, but I agree with those who think he embarrasses the team.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Jim Jackson, along with Steve Coates, is just as big of a homer as Steigy is.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby moondart on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Jim Jackson, along with Steve Coates, is just as big of a homer as Steigy is.

I could live with a bit of a homer. But, "Crosby gets tripped" vs. "Crosby accidentaly trips so and so" is so sad...I feel for steigy.
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Jim Jackson, along with Steve Coates, is just as big of a homer as Steigy is.

Agreed. Chris Therrible Therien* on the radio side makes me want to tear the entire electronic system out of our car.

I'm actually OK with a certain level of homerness; they are the designated crew for the local team, after all. But, imo, Steigerwald not only takes homerness to a new level, he's poor at calling the game. He's been around hockey and some of the greats for decades, but I just don't hear that in his call. I also think his voice may be good for color commentary, but it just doesn't suit PxP.

I want Lange and Bourque on TV with Errey between the benches.

* It annoys me to no end how he routinely used to shut down Jagr.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby profpolisci on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:33 am

Lt. Dish wrote:* It annoys me to no end how he routinely used to shut down Jagr.

Harold Priestley Gill
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am

profpolisci wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:* It annoys me to no end how he routinely used to shut down Jagr.

Harold Priestley Gill

Yep, him too... :?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 pm

beLIEve wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:Here is what I've found interesting. For both Steelers and Penguins games (on Root at least, havent tried NBC or NBCSN) if I select the second language track (which I assumed was Spanish) you don't hear any commentators or play by play - just the crowd, stadium announcers, pa system, players yelling/hitting into each other, and other playing surface level noise. It won't help you get the radio audio, but I think it's a pretty neat way to watch the games - its more like youre there. And if you did manage to get the radio sync'd up you might still enjoy it.

If true, this should be stickied for all eternity. Best thing I've heard in a long time. I can't wait to try this for the next game.

this is from the first period

set audio track to spanish. for me it looks like this

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins