Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 pm

canaan wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:NES Ducktales remake

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/capco ... /#comments

holy crap. thats one of my favorite nes games.

Like someone said in the comments, I hope they keep the original soundtrack
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Anyone else a big Tropico fan?
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:09 pm

neophool wrote:Bioshock Infinite in a few days.....lord have mercy on my sleep schedule.

Steam has enough Bioshock Infinite pre-orders that all of the rewards have been unlocked. The best one is a free copy of X-Com: Enemy Unknown. I don’t usually buy new games (because they’re at full price), but I’ll bite on this one.

Also, this game just showed up on Steam: Kerbal Space Program. You build and launch your own rockets and spacecraft. As a space nerd, I am totally buying this game as soon as I get home from work. It’s one of the new “Early Access” games on Steam, where it’s in a playable state but is still being constantly developed and updated.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:13 pm

canaan wrote:

Ditto.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:18 pm

dont ditto me, fruitcake
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:21 pm

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:42 pm

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Picked up Gears of War Judgement, will dive into later.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:42 am

Shyster wrote:Also, this game just showed up on Steam: Kerbal Space Program. You build and launch your own rockets and spacecraft. As a space nerd, I am totally buying this game as soon as I get home from work. It’s one of the new “Early Access” games on Steam, where it’s in a playable state but is still being constantly developed and updated.

I'm happy to report that after multiple failures (many of them hilarious), planet Kerbal has it's first-ever orbiting artificial satellite (LGP-1), which was boosted into orbit by a two-stage Penguin XVII rocket (yes, there were 16 prior designs). I admit I did have to watch a YouTube tutorial on how to circularize orbits, which is why many of the payloads carried by earlier rockets ended up as deep-space probes rather than orbiting satellites. I'm going to stick with the Penguin XVII rocket and put up a few more sophisticated satellites, and then I think I'll design a new series of heavier rockets (I think I'll call it the Mario series), and see if I can avoid killing some cute little alien astronauts.

Also, holy cow this game is an amazing time vampire.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:27 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
canaan wrote:

Ditto.

Spent many, many hours in our basement in O'Hara Twp. playing this game. Good times.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 am

Picked up the new Tomb Raider today.... heard many good things.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Gears of War, Judgement. So far so good. Baird was always my favorite character so it works.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Just a statement on NHL 13.....Henrik Lundquist may be the most overpowered player in the history of this franchise. I just outshot a team in online play 39-11, and lost 2-1 (and I had Halak). He saves EVERYTHING. Your only chance to score on Lundquist in this game is to get a lucky rebound.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:02 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Just a statement on NHL 13.....Henrik Lundquist may be the most overpowered player in the history of this franchise. I just outshot a team in online play 39-11, and lost 2-1 (and I had Halak). He saves EVERYTHING. Your only chance to score on Lundquist in this game is to get a lucky rebound.

The only way to beat him is with a guy with 93+ accuracy rating (aka Crosby).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 am

My "Mario" series of rockets in Kerbal Space Program should have been more appropriately named the Widowmaker series. I eventually figured out that the thrust of the main engine I was using was high enough that if the throttle was set too high the thrust would exceed the amount of force that the fuel tanks above it could handle. The engine would break loose and essentially give the rocket stack above it a fiery explosive enema. Many brave Kerbal astronauts were KIA.

I'm now trying to get the hang of trans-lunar injection burns to see if I can get a probe to the closest moon (spelled Mun in Kerbal, with a long U).
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Original voice actors return for Ducktales remastered, pretty cool

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/23/origi ... /#comments
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:30 am

Shyster wrote:My "Mario" series of rockets in Kerbal Space Program should have been more appropriately named the Widowmaker series. I eventually figured out that the thrust of the main engine I was using was high enough that if the throttle was set too high the thrust would exceed the amount of force that the fuel tanks above it could handle. The engine would break loose and essentially give the rocket stack above it a fiery explosive enema. Many brave Kerbal astronauts were KIA.

I'm now trying to get the hang of trans-lunar injection burns to see if I can get a probe to the closest moon (spelled Mun in Kerbal, with a long U).

will a memorial pool be installed?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:34 am

LEGO City Undercover first thoughts:

The graphics are borderline Wii quality--thats probably my secong biggest gripe at this point. The biggest gripe, for me, is the lengthy load times--its obnoxious and takes away from the game. The dialogue, however, is fantastic. Witty, decently paced, good voice acting. So far there is limited interaction with the gamepad but that will increase as the game progresses. Its nothing too far out of the realm of creativity in relation to other LEGO iterations, but its not bad. The vehicle handling is sluggish, but entertaining when you clip somebody else's whip and lego parts flail about. 7-7.5-10 (but could be lower as the game progresses because of an assumed amount of redundancy.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:10 am

Finally playing AC3...goodness this game can really pull you in until you realize you have been playing for a million hours straight. It is a lot of "oh let met grab this while I am over here" that leads to "while now you are close to this so go do this" then at the end of doing that "by doing that, I unlocked this which will really help me"...."now that I unlocked this I can do this easily"...."If I am over here for this, I might as well do this too"..."oh look ater I did that I only need one more to do this so I should do that now too" ...aaaaaaaaaaand its 2 am........."let me grab this real quick and then I will turn it off"
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:14 am

AC3 was the first of those games that didn't pull me in. My only interest in the game was progressing the story.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:AC3 was the first of those games that didn't pull me in. My only interest in the game was progressing the story.

I really enjoy the open world games with lots of novel "other" stuff to do...that is what really is pulling me in. I really enjoyed Red Dead Redemption and all the hunting/sharpshooter quests and there is a lot of that kind of stuff in this game. It is like I look and see that I need 5 beaver pelts of something...and then I am off to find them and while I am getting them I find I am close to a treasure/trinket/feather and then detour for that and then I see I collected enough trinkets and now I am off on a Naval/Exploration mission because of that and then I see I have enough Beaver Pelts so I go to turn them in and see that I am right next to one of the "homestead missions" (which I think have been fun for the most part)...and you get the idea. I have the desire to complete all of the "mission" type stuff. Not really the desire to collect all the feathers and do that, but if it involves taking action (hunting, side quests to kill/fight someone, etc) those are fun. I enjoyed all the "boston brawler" fights too - little pointless stuff like that to do that is novel/fun and makes you do something different then the typical stuff.

Although I do think the hunting and other things like that was better in RDR. I heard they may make a sequel to that someday. That would be fun.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 am

I loved RDR. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another red dead game. This was the second in a series.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:46 am

Played a little more Metroid Other M. The controls are tough to get used to, switching back and forth between first and third person view, pulling off some combo attacks, etc. I'm getting more used to them, but I find myself right now focusing more on how I'm supposed to attack than actually going through the ship and finding crap.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Picked up MLB '13: The Show and Battlefield 3 over the weekend.

Haven't gotten into B3 yet...will probably do that sometime this week. Single-player campaign stuff, mostly. I've heard the campaign is good, but relatively short. Not really into the multiplayer stuff.

Played a couple of exhibition games in The Show yesterday. Seems like a good game from early impressions. Heard they revamped "Road to the Show" or whatever it's called, so I'll be interested to see how that's changed.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:17 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I loved RDR. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another red dead game. This was the second in a series.

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/7/13/3156530/red-dead-redemption-sequel-announcement-hinted-at-by-rockstar

Rockstar hinted at developing an RDR sequel last summer. Not sure if any additional progress has been made or announced, and if this may be something planned for the next generation systems.

I'd be interested to see how they pull this off, given that some of the underlying themes of Redemption were built on the game taking place at the end of the "Wild West" era.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR