Is Simon Depres the best prospect since Crosby

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Is Simon Depres the best prospect since Crosby

Postby mikey287 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 am

Portland is going to dominate.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:08 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Look, everyone knows how I am. I get freaked out real easily. I get emotional over hockey, it actually really bothers me. I really feel like Bylsma is a good hockey coach, but inexperienced, and has some serious flaws that have been exposed. I'm sorry I get mad around here, it just helps to take my frustration out. I definitely was just being a jerk to Mikey about the Pouliot stuff because I don't like soff defenseman and I felt like he was just another Goligoski.

Its almost more enjoyable for me watching a 2006 Penguin team because no serious expectations yet. This current core has the expectation of a cup run almost every year now. I just don't understand why you would not go with the young 20 year old Despres, big body, playing well. Instead they use guys that have been in the minors most of their careers...and the continuing of playing time for Kennedy, Adams, Glass makes me sick that Bylsma lets this go on. These guys need to go. Keep Adams if we have a number 1 PK, but he don't..so why is he even he? I think Adams/Glass has brought down Vitale some.

But anyways thanks for putting up with my crap everyone, and my spam/annoying posts at times. I really like this place, a lot of great hockey minds to hang out with during work and such..

Agree with most of this. I don't know why they can't dress 7 defensemen and sit a forward. Letang does not need to play 30 minutes every game, especially when the team has a multiple goal lead. Adams/Glass/Kennedy don't ALL need to dress every single game. Despres is young and will make mistakes, but he can turn a game around instantly with a stretch pass or a goal. Guys like that should be in the lineup.

Thanks.

Despres - He's a great rookie this year. He's playing so well. Rookies make mistakes. Even the best in the world do. So let Despres make his rookie mistakes in March, not June. You know what the deciding factor is for me? The PHILLY SERIES. When the defense was a joke, and they started Despres + Strait that game and they both were good. At that point, looking back on the embarrassing series...Despres gets the start going into the new season, and the chokers/failed defensive players would have to earn it back. Instead Bylsma makes it so Despres has to prove himself again, and good ole Engelland is safe...

I really hope Tanner Glass was signed for playoff hockey because he is so useless. There HAS TO be a guy right now in WB/S that "wants it" more than Glass does here.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:49 pm

RS has done well with grinders in the past, as he has brought in players like Rupp, Ruutu, etc. who added to the team's toughness but could also play hockey. I think he may have missed the mark with Glass, because he hasn't been difficult to play against and does nothing offensively. Even Laraque could forecheck a little and pot the occasional goal.

I really wish he would have got Prust instead of Glass.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:58 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:I really wish he would have got Prust instead of Glass.

Not at $2.5 mil.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:27 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:RS has done well with grinders in the past, as he has brought in players like Rupp, Ruutu, etc. who added to the team's toughness but could also play hockey. I think he may have missed the mark with Glass, because he hasn't been difficult to play against and does nothing offensively. Even Laraque could forecheck a little and pot the occasional goal.

2.5 is crazy money for prust
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Prust either got knocked out by Staal, or pretended to get knocked out by Staal. I don't want either on this team
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:29 am

In games a couple of times recently, Bennett, a rookie, got confused about a couple of forecheck plays because he didn't recognize the names of them. It didn't go unnoticed.
"Coach [Bylsma] asked me if I knew it before practice, and I told him I would answer questions in front of the team," Bennett said.
He did more than that. He diagrammed the plays on a dry-erase board in front of his teammates, who were vocal in their support -- or, perhaps, mock support.
"It was all fun," Bennett said. "Luckily, I got them right. That's a good way for me to never forget what I'm doing ever again. It's instilled in my brain. I won't forget that again."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2OH73UFtN
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:37 am

That's awesome.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TrueNorth on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Gaucho wrote:In games a couple of times recently, Bennett, a rookie, got confused about a couple of forecheck plays because he didn't recognize the names of them. It didn't go unnoticed.
"Coach [Bylsma] asked me if I knew it before practice, and I told him I would answer questions in front of the team," Bennett said.
He did more than that. He diagrammed the plays on a dry-erase board in front of his teammates, who were vocal in their support -- or, perhaps, mock support.
"It was all fun," Bennett said. "Luckily, I got them right. That's a good way for me to never forget what I'm doing ever again. It's instilled in my brain. I won't forget that again."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... ies-680344
/#ixzz2OH73UFtN

Now that takes confidence and also says something about how comfortable he feels around his teammates. From what I’ve read, he really has fit right in, pretty much from day one. He seems to have a great sense of humor which probably helps to lighten things up in the locker room. They don’t call him sunshine for nothing.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:44 pm

shmenguin wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:RS has done well with grinders in the past, as he has brought in players like Rupp, Ruutu, etc. who added to the team's toughness but could also play hockey. I think he may have missed the mark with Glass, because he hasn't been difficult to play against and does nothing offensively. Even Laraque could forecheck a little and pot the occasional goal.

True, especially with him having scored only 5 goals in 82 games last year. But Glass got 1.1 if I'm not mistaken, so even at say 1.8, Prust would have been a better choice IMO.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:52 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

True, especially with him having scored only 5 goals in 82 games last year. But Glass got 1.1 if I'm not mistaken, so even at say 1.8, Prust would have been a better choice IMO.

And what makes you think Prust would have taken that $1.8 with an offer of $2.5 mil on the table?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:19 am

2.5 might be crazy but look at what the Rangers have been lacking since he left. Look at the Canadiens with him in the lineup. I don't think Montreal has any issues with his salary and I'd bet NY would do a "re-do" in a heartbeat and keep hi, even at 2.5.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:27 am

mikey287 wrote:Portland is going to dominate.

... but lost Game 1.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins