Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Froggy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:56 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Crash from 2004 is an abomination of a movie.

yeah, i kind of agree with this. it takes a complicated and nuanced issue, and just paints it with the broadest brushstrokes possible.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Gonna watch Zero Dark Thirty and Argo tonight.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Crash 96 >>> Crash 04

Froggy nailed it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:17 pm

never seen the 96' one... probably because I was 4 when it came out... I'll put on it on my list
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:19 pm

You might want to read up on it first. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Crash the novel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crash the 96 film

It's pretty disturbing, you might like it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:29 pm

That is true.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:47 pm

96's Crash is a pretty icky movie, as are most Cronenberg movies
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm not much of a Cronenberg fan myself.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Watched Les Mis tonight. Insanely good.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:47 am

nocera wrote:Watched Les Mis tonight. Insanely good.

We watched it too and wanted to love it, but ended up laughing more than the director intended.

Maybe I'm jaded because I've seen the show 6-7 times, but I hated most of the performers.

Adult Cosette sounded like Snow White or Cinderella. Grown up Marius sounded like a kid trying to sing in a grown up voice.

Russell Crowe was god awful and ruined two of my favorite songs from the show.

Thank God they cast Samantha Barks as Eponine. The one redeeming performance.

Hathaway and Jackman were decent, but after seeing Colm Wilkinson (playing the bishop in the film) as Jean Val Jean and watching the 10th and 25th Anniversary shows on PBS, I'm spoiled.

And where they added songs/dialogue in some parts, it was curious they lopped off Beggars at the Feast at the end. Too politically incorrect?

Meh, just one man's opinion.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:13 am

Blackjack is a les mis snob
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:20 am

Froggy wrote:
Eismann wrote:
Froggy wrote:so, i clicked on this movie on netflix called Compliance... one of those "Based on a true story" movies that actually is based on a true story and you really really wish it wasn't... like really really icky stuff. good movie, though

Qd

im not sure it warrants a recommendation... but like 100% of this stuff actually happened.

Watched it last night and agree. It's odd. I'm not sure I'd recommend it either, but not because it wasn't good. It was sorta like a creepy version of a PSA or instructional-beware video, and very well done. Did like.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:11 am

blackjack68 wrote:
nocera wrote:Watched Les Mis tonight. Insanely good.

We watched it too and wanted to love it, but ended up laughing more than the director intended.

Maybe I'm jaded because I've seen the show 6-7 times, but I hated most of the performers.

Adult Cosette sounded like Snow White or Cinderella. Grown up Marius sounded like a kid trying to sing in a grown up voice.

Russell Crowe was god awful and ruined two of my favorite songs from the show.

Thank God they cast Samantha Barks as Eponine. The one redeeming performance.

Hathaway and Jackman were decent, but after seeing Colm Wilkinson (playing the bishop in the film) as Jean Val Jean and watching the 10th and 25th Anniversary shows on PBS, I'm spoiled.

And where they added songs/dialogue in some parts, it was curious they lopped off Beggars at the Feast at the end. Too politically incorrect?

Meh, just one man's opinion.

I've only seen the play performed once and I was probably around 10, so I do not have the same relationship to it as you. I know the songs because my parents would constantly play the soundtrack. I found the performances raw and as realistic as you can get in a musical. The only character that I thought was weak was the Innkeeper. No fault of Sacha Baron Cohen, but he just wasn't right for that role.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:18 am

Eismann wrote:
Froggy wrote:
Eismann wrote:
Froggy wrote:so, i clicked on this movie on netflix called Compliance... one of those "Based on a true story" movies that actually is based on a true story and you really really wish it wasn't... like really really icky stuff. good movie, though

Qd

im not sure it warrants a recommendation... but like 100% of this stuff actually happened.

Watched it last night and agree. It's odd. I'm not sure I'd recommend it either, but not because it wasn't good. It was sorta like a creepy version of a PSA or instructional-beware video, and very well done. Did like.

i think if it was purely a work of fiction, it would be a much weaker movie. it benefits a great deal from knowing the context surrounding it.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:22 pm

Liked Argo alot.

Thought Zero Dark Thirty was about 30 minutes too long. Not a bad movie, but the pace just seemed a bit off.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Froggy wrote:
Eismann wrote:
Froggy wrote:
Eismann wrote:

Qd

i think if it was purely a work of fiction, it would be a much weaker movie. it benefits a great deal from knowing the context surrounding it.

That's a good point. And they had some good opportunities to really take the story to a much a bleaker place.

Spoiler:
In fact, midway through I was anticipating the caller convincing the staff to take the girl to some abandoned area and for really horrid things to ensue that would totally splatter the lives of everyone involved. Even without that, the true-life damage was impressively extensive and made you focus on that instead of the prank.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Godric wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Crash from 2004 is an abomination of a movie.

You probably don't like kubrick either

Uhh..... what? How are they at all related?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:07 pm

crash was shameless pandering to the lowest common denominator. i don't know much about kubrik, but i know he ain't that
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:20 pm

http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-w ... onnection/

my current favorite thing on the internet... Red Letter Media, the guys who did the Plinkett reviews of the Star Wars prequels, do this web series called Best of the Worst, where they sit down and watch 3 awful movies and laugh about how stupid they are. The latest episode came out today, and I immediately need to see all 3 movies featured. If you like z-grade movies and have 45 minutes to spare, check out this video. i literally laughed so hard i cried at 3 separate points during this.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:57 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Got my copy of The Hobbit yesterday. I had Best Buy do a price match from Walmart for 18.96 fir the BluRay, Dvd and Ultraviolet Combo pack. And I had $5 in Best Buy Rewards. Nice. Plus a special online preview event this Sunday with Peter Jackson for The Desolation of Smaug.

Yup... watched the movie yesterday, getting ready for the preview now. :scared:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:09 pm

So for the most, the "preview" was a bunch of mini interviews/shout outs with some Q&A. I could have done without 95% of that, but whatever. Not anything earth shattering in the previews, but I'll comment on them in a spoiler for anyone who is interested.

Spoiler:
They are obviously still working on the movie, so there was no official trailer or anything... PJ said to look for that in the summer. They showed part of one scene from Dol Guldur featuring Gandalf and Radagast. Nothing crazy, but it was a solid scene.

At the end, they showed some various clips, most of which were unfinished or filming of the filming, so to speak. Shots included: dwarves in barrels, dwarves covered in spider webs, dwarves outside the door to the mountain.

To the surprise of none, Orlando Bloom will be back as Legolas. Also looks like there will be some kind of female elf warrior amongst the elves of Mirkwood.

Laketown is most definitely involved... there were quite a few shots of the Master and such there. At one point, they focused on a small piece of a scene where the company is on a boat captained by Bard.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 pm

i saw olympus is down yesterday and id say its an above average action movie. R rated movies with mainstream appeal are pretty rare, so it was a nice surprise to see one.

i really like what film district is doing. they are a newer production/distribution company and have been behind drive, insidious, and looper. theyre releasing mostly action type films without huge budgets.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Froggy wrote:i think if it was purely a work of fiction, it would be a much weaker movie. it benefits a great deal from knowing the context surrounding it.

The most infuriating thing about the real life events is that the idiotic manager sued McDonald's and settled for something like $400K. :face:
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:22 pm

the wicked child wrote:So for the most, the "preview" was a bunch of mini interviews/shout outs with some Q&A. I could have done without 95% of that, but whatever. Not anything earth shattering in the previews, but I'll comment on them in a spoiler for anyone who is interested.

Spoiler:
They are obviously still working on the movie, so there was no official trailer or anything... PJ said to look for that in the summer. They showed part of one scene from Dol Guldur featuring Gandalf and Radagast. Nothing crazy, but it was a solid scene.

At the end, they showed some various clips, most of which were unfinished or filming of the filming, so to speak. Shots included: dwarves in barrels, dwarves covered in spider webs, dwarves outside the door to the mountain.

To the surprise of none, Orlando Bloom will be back as Legolas. Also looks like there will be some kind of female elf warrior amongst the elves of Mirkwood.

Laketown is most definitely involved... there were quite a few shots of the Master and such there. At one point, they focused on a small piece of a scene where the company is on a boat captained by Bard.

Completely forgot. Thanks for the recap!
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR