Game 33 vs. Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 33 vs. Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:45 am

pretty good effort, only real deficiency was some self-induced difficulty in their own end, mishandles behind their own net. Didn't hurt them on the scoreboard, but unnecessarily hemmed them in their own end for extended periods.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:46 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:
since1970 wrote:...the hit on Dupuis is text book boarding, they could use as a what not to do. Dupuis numbers to the palyer..Coburn hits Dupuis in the numbers then uses his arms to propel Dupuis into the glass, it didn't cause any injury, but it was a clinic on how to board a player according to the rules. Coburn knew exactly what he was doing, if Dupuis wasn't as close to the boards as he was this might have turned out a lot worse. I think it's what saved him from serious injury.

I would like to see the league review this and hand out a suspension to Coburn. That was unreal - the ref watched it!

The best punishment for Coburn would be time already served on a terrible Philadelphia blueline, coupled with the fact that he still has to continue playing on a terrible Philadelphia blueline. :wink:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stevens25 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 am

pretty good effort, only real deficiency was some self-induced difficulty in their own end, mishandles behind their own net.

There were some really scary times where they tried to do their breakout pass and it didn't even get out of the zone. Come playoff time we can't have that many turnovers in our own end.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcmforless on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm just glad they are done playing these *** Clowns for the year, thus reducing the chances of a serious injury from getting boarded, elbowed, etc....
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:12 pm

shmenguin wrote:how horrible were the flyers at getting the puck out of their zone? it was basically like 60 minutes of watching the girl in mighty ducks 2 try to get the puck out of her feet, right before the cowboy had to lasso the oncoming checker.

Their D was so bad last night. Bryzaster (and the Pens missing the net) really bailed them out, I have to admit...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:44 pm

http://www.1059thex.com/pages/tim_benz/ ... e=11104801

How was Schenn allowed to jump into Pierre's box to avoid a TMM penalty? :lol:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:51 pm

mac5155 wrote:http://www.1059thex.com/pages/tim_benz/index.html?article=11104801

Don't know, should have been a penalty I think.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 pm

pfim wrote:
mac5155 wrote:http://www.1059thex.com/pages/tim_benz/index.html?article=11104801

Don't know, should have been a penalty I think.

Illegal substitution like Ekman leaving the ice in a place other than the players bench. What is funny is the NHL twitter account is trumpeting the incident as a highlight. Guess the embarrassment is worth more than the 2 minute penalty?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:10 pm

This is one of those games where the stat sheet doesn't tell nearly the whole story. The first period was one of the best we played all season. Its both a credit to Bryz and a statement of our lack of puck luck that we weren't up 2 or 3 after that period. we really pressed the tempo the whole game.

The whole team is on another level right now. No Malkin and no letang, Crosby's line still scores even though he's drawing the top coverage. When he's shut down, guys like Sutter, Vitale, and Kennedy have been stepping up. We need to score more than 2? We get 3. We only score 2? We keep them to one.

when Malkin and letang come back, and Morrow gets settled in, that will open things up for both Crosby's line, and also James Neal. kind of scary to think about.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:38 pm

We would have won 6-0 had we not worn the blue jerseys. :pop:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby champeen on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Great58 wrote:We would have won 6-0 had we not worn the blue jerseys. :pop:

This is LGP, you're going to need to change that to 'would of.'
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 pm

champeen wrote:
Great58 wrote:We would have won 6-0 had we not worn the blue jerseys. :pop:

This is LGP, you're going to need to change that to 'would of.'

I think that you may be the new breed of grammar police.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 pm

Also, just to add my final Flyer frustration note for the year since they are done... Brayden Schenn is probably one of the worst divers in the league. He is literally half way down before guys actually make contact with him.

Ok, that feels good knowing Philly will end up with a mid 1st round pick and a bunch of question marks going into a year with a much lower cap. The best part is that they may WANT to buy out Bryz, but I don't think they can. I mean, unless Roman Cechmanek is looking for a comeback tour with Boucher.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:58 pm

It might be kind of sad, but every team has its weaknesses. I don't like to say it, but maybe Pittsburgh finally realized they're the better team now that they have something quantitative to see. They played like they were the better team rather than a rival. This is an important step to recovery (someone give these guys a medallion like in AA).
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 am

This was one of the most "calm" Pens-Flyers game I've seen and been to.

It had a playoff feel. Philly had nothing most of the game, so they dumped a lot of pucks in deep and tried to get in and forecheck.

They really aren't a scary team to play against anymore. I think Jagr really had a lot to do with Giroux's incredible season last year and playoffs.

Fleury was awesome, Sidney was great. The whole team supported each other, made simple plays.

I felt the crowd was into the game the whole time. Impressive crowd. As apart of the crowd, we felt the Pens just had to keep grinding and they'd eventually get one and eventually two....and we were rewarded.

Very nice win against a much hated rival.

Nice to see the Penguins winning this way....and to think eventually Malkin, Letang, Morrow and Murray will be added into the line up. Sheesh~!!! :fist:
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins