Pitt Basketball 2012-13

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pitt Basketball 2012-13

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:47 am

the wicked child wrote:I don't hate Dixon or anything, but giving him a 10! year extension after going 0-2 in the post season smacks of the Stillerz giving Kordell an 8 year contract after he cried on the sidelines after being pulled.

Dixon's contract was through the 2017-18 season. This is a 5 year extension and long contracts for college coaches are commonplace. It shows "stability" to prospective recruits.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 am

Dixon was just on Vinnie and Cook and said that the extension wasn't something he and his agent were looking for, but the administration felt it was necessary, and he is happy to be here.

I am very torn on Dixon. He has had great regular season success, but he has clearly not gotten it done in the post-season. If Pitt could get Brad Stevens, Smart, or Sean Miller, Id be OK with Jamie leaving. Though Id rather Jamie stay here until Pederson leaves, as I dont want him to be in charge of hiring any more football or basketball coaches.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Dixon was just on Vinnie and Cook and said that the extension wasn't something he and his agent were looking for, but the administration felt it was necessary, and he is happy to be here.

I am very torn on Dixon. He has had great regular season success, but he has clearly not gotten it done in the post-season. If Pitt could get Brad Stevens, Smart, or Sean Miller, Id be OK with Jamie leaving. Though Id rather Jamie stay here until Pederson leaves, as I dont want him to be in charge of hiring any more football or basketball coaches.

This is it, though. They can't. UCLA will have trouble getting one of these guys.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 am

pfim wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Dixon was just on Vinnie and Cook and said that the extension wasn't something he and his agent were looking for, but the administration felt it was necessary, and he is happy to be here.

This is it, though. They can't. UCLA will have trouble getting one of these guys.

I agree, Smart or Stevens would be nearly impossible to land. Id throw Miller in that bucket too if he wasn't a Pitt grad. They at least have that in their favor.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 am

So Pitt can't take the risk of letting Dixon go for several reasons:

1)Dixon has been too successful (and by successful, we mean one time in the decade he has been around did his team advance one game further than his predecessor) and the program can't risk having some no-name come in.

2)Pitt isn't a big enough program to draw a "name" coach.

Therefore, Dixon remains the coach until he decides he doesn't want to coach anymore, at which point, he will relinquish the hostage and force the school to make the decision it has proven too afraid to make.

Stockholm Syndrome.

Nobody knew Shaka Smart's or Brad Stevens' name in 2007. Accepting the purgatory that is Pitt hoops under the guise of not being able to land a brand name and therefore there is nobody out there that could possibly do the job is hilarious.

Enjoy it!
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:So Pitt can't take the risk of letting Dixon go for several reasons:

1)Dixon has been too successful (and by successful, we mean one time in the decade he has been around did his team advance one game further than his predecessor) and the program can't risk having some no-name come in.

Therefore, Dixon remains the coach until he decides he doesn't want to coach anymore, at which point, he will relinquish the hostage and force the school to make the decision it has proven too afraid to make.

Stockholm Syndrome.

Nobody knew Shaka Smart's or Brad Stevens' name in 2007. Accepting the purgatory that is Pitt hoops under the guise of not being able to land a brand name and therefore there is nobody out there that could possibly do the job is hilarious.

Enjoy it!

Thanks.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:So Pitt can't take the risk of letting Dixon go for several reasons:

Stockholm Syndrome.

Enjoy it!

I have been, for the most part.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:30 am

pfim wrote:

Ben Howlands contract, which runs through the 2017-18 season, includes guaranteed compensation of $1.97 million for the 2008-09 season and escalates to $2.3 million for the 2014-15 season. It also includes the incentive package from his previous contract that has a maximum value of $235,000. It also has a $3.5-million buyout.

Brad Stevens contract is estimated to e $1mm a year.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5704

Shaka Smart makes about $1.285mm annually

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... VBuPSrEmZE

Bultler, VCU, or L.A. with it's 11 (Seven consecutive) NCAA titles?

Seems kind of like a no-brainer to me, but what do I know.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rocco on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
pfim wrote:

I agree, Smart or Stevens would be nearly impossible to land. Id throw Miller in that bucket too if he wasn't a Pitt grad. They at least have that in their favor.

Miami decided not to overpay to keep Frank Haith's mediocrity and went and got a better coach in Larranaga. It can be done even if you aren't a blue-blood, you just have to be willing to look for it and spend money.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 am

Rocco wrote:Miami decided not to overpay to keep Frank Haith's mediocrity and went and got a better coach in Larranaga. It can be done even if you aren't a blue-blood, you just have to be willing to look for it and spend money.

So you are comparing a guy that made 1 NCAA tourney appearance during his tenure, to a guy that made 9 in his 10 years?

No, you don't have to be a blueblood to get a good coach. And to me, I think Dixon is a good coach. That is why every year some big time programs have him at the top of their candidate list.

I think this is a situation where some people don't realize what they have until it is gone.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Rocco wrote:Miami decided not to overpay to keep Frank Haith's mediocrity and went and got a better coach in Larranaga. It can be done even if you aren't a blue-blood, you just have to be willing to look for it and spend money.

So you are comparing a guy that made 1 NCAA tourney appearance during his tenure, to a guy that made 9 in his 10 years?

No, you don't have to be a blueblood to get a good coach. And to me, I think Dixon is a good coach. That is why every year some big time programs have him at the top of their candidate list.

I think this is a situation where some people don't realize what they have until it is gone.

I'm saying that just because a guy has done better than his predecessor doesn't mean he's the best out there. And it doesn't mean you should panic and give him a major extension because someone else might want him.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Another school not satisfied with just getting to the tourney.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -minnesota
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:44 pm

His tenure ends with a 124-81 overall mark and a 46-62 record in Big Ten play.

Yes, I can see the similarity with this situation and Dixon's.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 pm

pfim wrote:

Tubby has a national title and Final Four appearances and Minnesota thinks they can do better, but Pitt feels they can't do better than Dixon.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Rocco wrote:
pfim wrote:

Tubby has a national title and Final Four appearances and Minnesota thinks they can do better, but Pitt feels they can't do better than Dixon.

I wouldn't argue with Pitt for thinking that.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Rocco wrote:
pfim wrote:

You don't like Dixon, we get it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm

What does Rocco like?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 pm

pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
pfim wrote:

Please provide a list of topics on which you'll allow me to discuss then. Then provide the list for all the other posters.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm not allowing you to discuss or not discuss any topic.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:43 pm

columbia wrote:What does Rocco like?

Conference realignment.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Rocco wrote:I'm saying that just because a guy has done better than his predecessor doesn't mean he's the best out there. And it doesn't mean you should panic and give him a major extension because someone else might want him.

I don't think myself, or the Pitt admin thinks he is the best out there, but I think they know that they have a great thing in Dixon. They deal with Dixon rumors every single year, and have not paniced as you say. And i think those rumors speak volumes as to how good a coach Dixon is. Why let that walk?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:48 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Rocco wrote:I'm saying that just because a guy has done better than his predecessor doesn't mean he's the best out there. And it doesn't mean you should panic and give him a major extension because someone else might want him.

I don't think myself, or the Pitt admin thinks he is the best out there, but I think they know that they have a great thing in Dixon. They deal with Dixon rumors every single year, and have not paniced as you say. And i think those rumors speak volumes as to how good a coach Dixon is. Why let that walk?

Because Dixon in March is nearing the definition of insanity.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:42 pm

newarenanow wrote:

"Well Jamie, you failed in March, AGAIN, but there are some rumors out there. Great season! Extend for five more years, please?"
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Rocco wrote:
pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
pfim wrote:

Please provide a list of topics on which you'll allow me to discuss then. Then provide the list for all the other posters.

lololololol, this is the most Rocco post ever
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:19 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
pfim wrote:

Ben Howlands contract, which runs through the 2017-18 season, includes guaranteed compensation of $1.97 million for the 2008-09 season and escalates to $2.3 million for the 2014-15 season. It also includes the incentive package from his previous contract that has a maximum value of $235,000. It also has a $3.5-million buyout.

Brad Stevens contract is estimated to e $1mm a year.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5704

Shaka Smart makes about $1.285mm annually

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... VBuPSrEmZE

Bultler, VCU, or L.A. with it's 11 (Seven consecutive) NCAA titles?

Seems kind of like a no-brainer to me, but what do I know.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... rd-to-land
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR