Jeffery is terrible

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jeffery is terrible

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:Jeffrey has actually played pretty well at both ends of the ice. He's been strong defensively, and he has made some great passes in the offensive zone. He certainly isn't a game breaker, but he has been far from terrible.

He hasn't been strong anywhere. He's been passive and tentative. I've seen a handful of good plays, but none the he created. Zero.

Are you expecting him to deke a few guys and score a goal? He isn't going to make plays by himself, and he needs his linemates to make a good play- just like most players in the nhl. Just because he's playing on the second line doesn't make him a second-line center especially when he's trying to fill in for last years MVP. This team doesn't have a second line center that can fill in for geno like staal did for crosby last year. There is going to be a severe drop in production from that line when you lose him no matter who replaces him.

Jeffrey plays very well in the defensive zone and has been extremely effective at supporting the defense in the corners and containing their man and getting lose pucks. He's not the strongest player on the boards nor is he the fastest player, but he plays smart and is in the right position. Because of his lack of speed he isn't very good playing on the offensive rush, but he plays well when the offense actually gets control in the opponent's zone due to his positioning and vision to an extent- he's given the defense several plays on the far side of the ice. I think you're expecting too much from him because he's filling in for Malkin, but he is a young third line player and he's playing like one.

I don't expect much, so that can't be it. His effort level isn't high enough, IMO, for him to have played particularly good or bad.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pcm on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Jeffrey's not an energy player. It's all about execution for him. Watch him closely and you'll see that he does actually create plays, both offensively and on the backcheck. He's not going to go out there a make a big hit they way you usually notice bottom liners. But good things tend to happen when he's on the ice.

The Penguins kept him over Letestu because he's a better player, and Letestu is currently tied for 2nd on the CBJ in scoring. They're similar, but DJ has more hockey instinct to him. Folks should get used to him, as he'll be a valuable, inexpensive cog on this team, probably for a few years.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Pitt87 wrote:His effort level isn't high enough

What do you count as "effort level?" He doesn't look disinterested out there.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:35 pm

It's not that he's not trying, he's just slow. But he's bright. Pretty good hockey sense. Probably would be better off some place else, like Letestu.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Jeffrey is far from terrible. In fact, I don't think he's getting enough credit for how well he's played. I'm sure playing with James Neal can make life easier, but I think we take for granted how well he's held his own on that second line in Malkin's absence. He's obviously not setting the world on fire, but he's playing solid hockey.

He hasn't shown the flash he had a few years ago, but I don't think he's worthy of his own thread. As someone else said regarding how much he makes, this is a guy to keep around. Having a guy like Jeffrey on your fourth line really gives you something a lot of teams don't have. Jeffrey CAN create offense and while he's not an energy guy, having him on a 4th line with other energy guys only makes you more dangerous.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:52 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:

Fore checking, back checking, 50/50 pucks, center drive, loose pucks around the net; he doesn't do any of these particularly well. His hands are great and when he can find space he's a much better performer. I get the feeling that this system is physically demanding for him, especially on our 3rd or 4th lines where everyone needs to grind & cycle to create space.

To your point, that means that he is a better fit with our top 6... and that is never going to happen. He might, however, be a good fit for someone elses' group of centers at a bargain price, so wouldn't be surprised if the Pens send him somewhere he can have a shot.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Jeffrey had an okay game last night until he got in deep and made that horrible play in front of the net.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Should we get rid of Jeffrey before or after we fire DB?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 pm

jeffrey is what he is at this point. a guy who fills in for injured regulars. my expectations are low, and he meets them.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:39 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Jeffrey had an okay game last night until he got in deep and made that horrible play in front of the net.

He had 4 really good scoring chances and didn't manage a shot on goal on any of them. I mean, I guess it's good he's getting the looks, but some of his choices and execution were rally suspect last night.

I am also inclined to believe that the quality of our 13th forward is pretty irrelevant, so who cares?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:

Fore checking, back checking, 50/50 pucks, center drive, loose pucks around the net; he doesn't do any of these particularly well.

So you want him to be fast. That's why he isn't meeting your expectations. He's not fast, and his game doesn't depend on him being fast. He's not going to go after a 50/50 puck because he is better at getting into the proper defensive position then getting to that puck. His game relies on his intelligence and positioning not his speed and size.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Froggy wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:Jeffrey had an okay game last night until he got in deep and made that horrible play in front of the net.

He had 4 really good scoring chances and didn't manage a shot on goal on any of them. I mean, I guess it's good he's getting the looks, but some of his choices and execution were rally suspect last night.

I am also inclined to believe that the quality of our 13th forward is pretty irrelevant, so who cares?

Precisely, I wasn't really expecting him to bury all of his chances, but at least he's not flopping around while we're giving up 2 or 3 goals with him on the ice.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm

He's so terrible, that he lost his number to Tanner Glass.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Kovy27 wrote:He's so terrible, that he lost his number to Tanner Glass.

:lol:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jasmine on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:09 pm

It's sad, but Dustin Jeffrey hasn't been the same since his surgery. Before that I loved his play. Just not the same now.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:48 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:

Fore checking, back checking, 50/50 pucks, center drive, loose pucks around the net; he doesn't do any of these particularly well.

So you want him to be fast. That's why he isn't meeting your expectations. He's not fast, and his game doesn't depend on him being fast. He's not going to go after a 50/50 puck because he is better at getting into the proper defensive position then getting to that puck. His game relies on his intelligence and positioning not his speed and size.

That's a bit of a leap; you don't necessarily have to be fast to do any of the above, though it does help. What you described -- yielding and retreating -- is what I think is making him unsuccessful... doesn't make him bad, just not doing himself any favors.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins