Penguins Acquire LW Brenden Morrow

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Acquire LW Brenden Morrow

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:35 am

Yeah, Palffy was the best player on the team(aside from Crosby) when his season ended. Pretty sure he finished at or above a point a game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:37 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Brendan Morrow is as much of a "sure thing" as Joe Morrow. We are putting our hopes that the guy that played for the Stars last week is not the same guy that will play for the Penguins next week...we're banking on some hidden "energy" being there that hasn't shown to exist. Just saying that there is some uncertainty on both sides...

Flawed logic. B Morrow is a proven NHLer of 12 seasons, J Morrow is still a prospect who may or may not have a meaningful NHL career. B Morrow may not have the speed he once had, and certainly isn't the 60+ point producer he once was, but he is being brought in to fill a need - physical play and veteran presence. That's something he certainly can still do.

He is also only two years removed from a career high 33 goals. His pace certainly slowed last season, but that was still a 37 point pace (26 points in 37 games). Right now, his 6 goals and 11 points this season are on par with the current 3rd line of Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy.

As long as he can stay healthy, the absolute worst case is that adding B Morrow is an upgrade over Glass and any upgrade is a good thing.

Isn't 26 points in 37 games a lot higher than a 37 point pace. Let me rephrase: 26 points in 37 games is a lot higher than a 37 point pace.

Typo. It's 57 games.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:39 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:
slappybrown wrote:The best time to trade a prospect is right before the other guy figures out he's a bust. If Morrow had struggled at WBS again next year, because he wasn't listening/progressing, his value would have nose-dived.

Good point, slappy. And thanks for the WBS link.

If he had struggled as a 21 year old in the AHL? I don't think thats a good point at all. A year and a half ago, people thought he should be making the NHL as an 18 year old. That was ludicrous of course, but his stock isn't going down, and isn't going down anytime soon barring a sudden inability to skate and move the puck.

I think its fair to assume if he has two consecutive poor seasons in the AHL his value would be reduced. That's hardly a controversial statement.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:39 am

Oh haha. Either 57 games or 57 points. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:41 am

pcm wrote:It's funny how people rationalize their desire to marginalize Joe Morrow's value now that he's been traded away.

Post the whole quote:
“I definitely struggled the first half of the season trying to find my place and find positives in what I was doing,” Morrow said. “They nitpicked my game so hard in the defensive zone that I had to change a lot of things. I did that and after the halfway point of the season I’ve played with more confidence and it’s been a steady uphill climb from there. It’s been going good.”

He's basically commending Hynes for improving his game. There's no whining at all. Joe Morrow is going to be a beast and a leader in this league. There's nothing wrong with admitting that Shero traded away a very good player. That's the price to pay for stocking up for a cup run.

I didn't "hide" the entirety of the quote if that's what you're suggesting. The portion I quoted came from Bombulie's article, which was all he quoted and all I read. I didn't see the entirety of the comments, but I agree, they aren't what his blog post suggested.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 am

canaan wrote:I dont get the Palffy was washed up comment. people have a really bad revisionist history of him because he didnt want to play here anymore.

He had one goal in his last 20 games or so. Whether he quit playing or was washed up, not sure it matters.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:07 am

palffy was legit. wish he would have stayed
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 am

tfrizz wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Brendan Morrow is as much of a "sure thing" as Joe Morrow. We are putting our hopes that the guy that played for the Stars last week is not the same guy that will play for the Penguins next week...we're banking on some hidden "energy" being there that hasn't shown to exist. Just saying that there is some uncertainty on both sides...

Flawed logic. B Morrow is a proven NHLer of 12 seasons, J Morrow is still a prospect who may or may not have a meaningful NHL career. B Morrow may not have the speed he once had, and certainly isn't the 60+ point producer he once was, but he is being brought in to fill a need - physical play and veteran presence. That's something he certainly can still do.

He is also only two years removed from a career high 33 goals. His pace certainly slowed last season, but that was still a 37 point pace (26 points in 57 games). Right now, his 6 goals and 11 points this season are on par with the current 3rd line of Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy.

As long as he can stay healthy, the absolute worst case is that adding B Morrow is an upgrade over Glass and any upgrade is a good thing.

I don't know that it's flawed logic. He needs to make an impact in some way and I think it's certainly reasonable to ask whether or not he can based on his play. If he can't keep up with the 2nd or 3rd line, what is his value?

I think he will, but it's not a sure thing by any stretch. And really, they Pens need to progress far in the playoffs to justify this deal, which is certainly no sure thing.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 am

pfim wrote:
canaan wrote:I dont get the Palffy was washed up comment. people have a really bad revisionist history of him because he didnt want to play here anymore.

He had one goal in his last 20 games or so. Whether he quit playing or was washed up, not sure it matters.

He was still a point per game player.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am

Lines at practice:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Jeffrey-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
(Malkin)

(Cooke isn't skating)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:51 am

At this rate, might as well sit Malkin till the playoffs
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 am

FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Image

No visor...what an idiot.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:02 am

True this. He finished 11+31 in 42 games played as a Pen, 6th on the team in that 05/06 season.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:05 am

relantel wrote:

True this. He finished 11+31 in 42 games played as a Pen, 6th on the team in that 05/06 season.

I don't like Palffy because he quit on the situation. He flat out took his ball and went home. The shoulder issue he supposedly had couldn't have been that bad considering he went home and continued playing for years after. He's a bum with no heart.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:33 am

Morrow will play tonight
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
relantel wrote:

I don't like Palffy because he quit on the situation. He flat out took his ball and went home. The shoulder issue he supposedly had couldn't have been that bad considering he went home and continued playing for years after. He's a bum with no heart.

i understand this view. the "washed up" angle is silly.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:38 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Morrow will play tonight

Shame it won't be with Geno. Roll on Apr 3rd!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:51 am

canaan wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
relantel wrote:

Palffy took a season and a half off before playing again. And then played in a much less physical league.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:04 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Shakes wrote:
Stars fans love the trade.

Stars fans are not exactly the most knowledgeable in the league....

Yeah, as Gaucho and others said, Stars fans loved the Neal deal too. I didn't mean this as a basis for judging the value of the trade, just saying...they like it.

I like the trade and think it's a good gamble. But like any trade, it will offer a basis to judge the Pens' scouting. They're usually right.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joe icepick on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:
slappybrown wrote:The best time to trade a prospect is right before the other guy figures out he's a bust. If Morrow had struggled at WBS again next year, because he wasn't listening/progressing, his value would have nose-dived.

Good point, slappy. And thanks for the WBS link.

If he had struggled as a 21 year old in the AHL? I don't think thats a good point at all. A year and a half ago, people thought he should be making the NHL as an 18 year old. That was ludicrous of course, but his stock isn't going down, and isn't going down anytime soon barring a sudden inability to skate and move the puck.

I think its fair to assume if he has two consecutive poor seasons in the AHL his value would be reduced. That's hardly a controversial statement.

Everyone knows he could be a good player in the nhl someday. Because of Shero's drafting of Dmen and not drafting forwards this won't be the last defensive prospect traded.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe icepick on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:08 pm

We will find out how good are pro scouting is very soon. But, I do like both trades.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
relantel wrote:

Palffy took a season and a half off before playing again. And then played in a much less physical league.

He's a bum!
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck Drama on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 pm

The best thing about this trade is it does not hurt the Pens cap situation going into next year. Leclair and Palffy were the end of Patrick. Will Morrowkerovsky signify the end of Shero?
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Puck Drama wrote:The best thing about this trade is it does not hurt the Pens cap situation going into next year. Leclair and Palffy were the end of Patrick. Will Morrowkerovsky signify the end of Shero?

You've fallen so far. Wait till Fleury has some bad games then redeem yourself.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins