Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Shyster on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 pm

canaan wrote:
Shyster wrote:My "Mario" series of rockets in Kerbal Space Program should have been more appropriately named the Widowmaker series. I eventually figured out that the thrust of the main engine I was using was high enough that if the throttle was set too high the thrust would exceed the amount of force that the fuel tanks above it could handle. The engine would break loose and essentially give the rocket stack above it a fiery explosive enema. Many brave Kerbal astronauts were KIA.
I'm now trying to get the hang of trans-lunar injection burns to see if I can get a probe to the closest moon (spelled Mun in Kerbal, with a long U).

will a memorial pool be installed?

I’m picturing a majestic three-sided obelisk risking out of a circular reflecting pool. Repeatedly inscribed around the elevated lip of the pool is a message from Mission Command (i.e., me), which in many cases was also the last thing those brave Kerbals heard: OOPS.

As an example of gameplay, here’s a guy trying to make orbit and failing a few times:

This is an earlier version of the game. The present incarnation has way more available rocket parts than this version.

I’ve pretty much got the hang (using unmanned craft) of getting to the Mun. I can reliably make Kerbal orbit, circularize the orbit, match orbital inclination with the Mun, burn for a transfer orbit, and burn into a lunar orbit. I’m now working on landing on the Mun rather than just crashing into it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Stoosh wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I loved RDR. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another red dead game. This was the second in a series.

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/7/13/3156530/red-dead-redemption-sequel-announcement-hinted-at-by-rockstar

Rockstar hinted at developing an RDR sequel last summer. Not sure if any additional progress has been made or announced, and if this may be something planned for the next generation systems.

I'd be interested to see how they pull this off, given that some of the underlying themes of Redemption were built on the game taking place at the end of the "Wild West" era.

Yeah, I heard they hinted at it...but didn't AC3 take like 3 years to make? Those type of full world sprawling games take forever unless you only make small changes/additions on the same kind of engine (like AC2, AC:B, AC:R). And I don't think they plan on doing that at all...especially if it is for a new system. So maybe in 2015 unfortunately!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Stoosh wrote:
Haven't gotten into B3 yet...will probably do that sometime this week. Single-player campaign stuff, mostly. I've heard the campaign is good, but relatively short. Not really into the multiplayer stuff.

I'm not alone in saying that the single player experience in BF3 is underwhelming. I'm not a big SP guy myself, in any FPS game. I usually get bored or stuck somewhere...multiplayer is where the fun is.

That said, find a friend and knock out the co-op games. Those were fun, and you got to unlock weapons for the multiplayer game.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby neophool on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 pm

skullman80 wrote:Picked up the new Tomb Raider today.... heard many good things.

Easily one the best games i've played in the past decade. Game of the Year so far (tough competition from Bioshock, GTAV and Last of Us yet to come), but Tomb Raider is knock your socks off fantastic.

I recommend playing in the dark, headphones, and volume up. It really sucks you in right from the start.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:37 pm

one of the things i miss most about college are the afternoon rock band sessions and a case of beer with two of my roommates and getting tanked
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:43 pm

We never did that in the afternoon othe rthan when one of those games would first come out. Dinner time till like 10 or 11 was golden though, hit the bar, then if it was the weekend, back to rockband from 2-3 until maybe 4 or 5. Good stuff.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm a couple hours into BioShock Infinite. It is a...ma...zing.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Forgot to download Bioshock Infinite this morning, but all the early word seems to echo your report, farhnham.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:27 pm

I'm up to about 20% of the items in Metroid Other M. I'm at the part where I just beat the giant nest with the giant fly like creaters flying out. Took me about 2 or 3 tries to beat it since the controls are still a little confusing.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm trying to build a heavy-lift rocket in KSP. Really big rockets are much harder to design than the small- or medium-lift versions. I need something bigger so that I will still have enough fuel left for landing once I get to the Mun. I can get there easily now, but my landers run out of fuel before they slow down enough to safely land.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Forgot to download Bioshock Infinite this morning, but all the early word seems to echo your report, farhnham.

It is something that so many games today are just not....completely unique and creative.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 pm

I highly recommend Max Payne 3. The environment/tone is a bit different from the first two in the trilogy, but that's OK. The soundtrack is fantastic, the gun play is incredibly fun, and the humor is solid as well.

It definitely captures the current situation in many Brazilian cities well. Great game.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Shyster wrote:I'm trying to build a heavy-lift rocket in KSP. Really big rockets are much harder to design than the small- or medium-lift versions. I need something bigger so that I will still have enough fuel left for landing once I get to the Mun. I can get there easily now, but my landers run out of fuel before they slow down enough to safely land.

You should invite an audience to your first manned lunar landing.

I was watching a few of those KSP videos, and the game looks crazy difficult. Makes you look at space missions totally different.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:46 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I highly recommend Max Payne 3. The environment/tone is a bit different from the first two in the trilogy, but that's OK. The soundtrack is fantastic, the gun play is incredibly fun, and the humor is solid as well.

It definitely captures the current situation in many Brazilian cities well. Great game.

I got into the this for a while. Played up to the level where you are on boats (if that helps) and..... just sorta lost interest. And I keep buying new games instead of going back into games that I have wandered away from in-progress (RDR, MP3, AC3) plus the games that I have that haven't even started yet (Uncharted 3, Arkham City).
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 am

BF4 single player gameplay...NSFW.

Looking good. I like the secondary iron sights. Instead of being stuck with a large scope, it looks like you'll have the option for iron sights along with a scope.

There also are female characters in the game, at least single player. Let's hope they give multiplayer players a gender option.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:23 am

When is Bad Company 3 going to happen? :scared:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 am

Rylan wrote:When is Bad Company 3 going to happen? :scared:

DICE is working on "multiple projects" so I would assume BC3 and a 2143 remake are in the works...complete speculation on my part, but what else could they be doing?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Spangler wrote:You should invite an audience to your first manned lunar landing.

I was watching a few of those KSP videos, and the game looks crazy difficult. Makes you look at space missions totally different.

I wouldn’t call it that difficult, but it does call for the player to have a good grasp of concepts like what direction you need to boost in order to make the ship move in a certain direction. Learning what you need to do is more difficult than actually doing it. I had to many tutorial videos to get the hang of things. It certainly does give one greater appreciation for real-life space missions.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:31 pm

I came within only a few meters of a successful landing on Mün. I tried to zero out some residual horizontal speed using my main engine and ended up flipping upside down and plowing into the ground. I think what I need to do is keep the lander upright and use the Reactional Control System thrusters alone (they’re tiny little thruster thingies you stick to the surfaces of your craft) to control lateral motion. Bah, so close!

It’s a testament to how addicting this game is that I’ve bought and downloaded Bioshock Infinite, but I haven’t played a second of it yet.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Still loving Gears of War Judgement
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:26 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Still loving Gears of War Judgement

I am enjoying it I just dont like the whole "stars" thing they added.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:46 pm

ajh2298 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Still loving Gears of War Judgement

I am enjoying it I just dont like the whole "stars" thing they added.

I like the challenges of them though, using shotguns only, pistols only. Very fun.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

BF4 single player gameplay...NSFW.

Looking good. I like the secondary iron sights. Instead of being stuck with a large scope, it looks like you'll have the option for iron sights along with a scope.

There also are female characters in the game, at least single player. Let's hope they give multiplayer players a gender option.

Game looks pretty sick. I might consider buying, but I rarely play
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:35 pm

I read a review of Bioshock Infinite that described the baddies as "magical racists". I'm about 20 minutes into the game now, and I have to say that's pretty accurate.....!

So far the game is utterly breathtaking and unique. It's unlike any other game I've ever played.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:28 am

Yea I got Bioshock Infinite as well. Ken Levine is a genius
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR