Despres sent down

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Despres sent down

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
DelPen wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:I do not agree with this move. Despres is like Letang Jr, and the fact Engellend is still in the top six is crazy.

Engellend isn't in the top 6 now.

This is purely because he is waiver exempt, only him and Bennett are. And when Malkin is off the IR expect Bennett to also go down until April 3.

This is a business move, not an indictment good or bad on Despres.

Lets assume that it is and see what happens next week. Withholding judgement until then.

Of course it is. That is hardly an assumption.

As it appears... but you don't send down a guy in your top 4 because of red tape. I still think its possible there is more to it. Hence, lets wait until next week to hand down a ruling.

Another factor... lots of WBS guys were called up to cover injuries, and they are in sort of a battle for a playoff spot. Again, not sure it makes a difference, but if it helps solidify WBS if he heads down for a 3-game stretch that could help them gain some ground against Binghamton, I guess its not a bad choice.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:03 pm

As it appears... but you don't send down a guy in your top 4 because of red tape. I still think its possible there is more to it. Hence, lets wait until next week to hand down a ruling.

When has he ever been a top four D on this team? He doesn't even dress every night.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blurryhaze312 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 pm

This discussion is silly.

Either you send down the guy who doesn't have to go through waivers or you lose Engo or Bortuzzo when they don't clear.

I'd say you could take your chances with Eaton, but why risk it? Common sense, people.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:41 pm

I will be bummed if Bennett gets sent down, even though it's strictly procedural. The team announced that he's here to stay. Going back on your word is :thumbdown: karma points, even if it's a paper transaction.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Once again, you JUST made two trades to improve the depth of this team, and you now want to risk losing someone off of a 12 straight wins team for nothing to keep Despres here for 4 games to the deadline?

SO glad some of you are not the GM.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:10 am

Yeah this is nothing more than a procedural move, not sure why some are going nuts over this.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16 am

pcm wrote:I will be bummed if Bennett gets sent down, even though it's strictly procedural. The team announced that he's here to stay. Going back on your word is :thumbdown: karma points, even if it's a paper transaction.

It's already happened once for roster purposes. Him and Despres will be up here when there is no roster limit.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 am

No one is questioning the logic of the move. It makes perfect sense to not risk losing someone via waivers.

What this has done though is drawn attention to the "log jam" at defense on this team. When Despres is back up on April 3rd there will be 9 defenseman and many people (a slew of analysts included) feel Despres has earned top 6 minutes at the very least, if not secured a pairing with Letang in the top 4. So this roster move has just drawn attention to this situation and due to Despres routinely being healthy scratched as is, people are upset feeling he will be healthy scratched again when he comes back up when he should not be.

Now some people think rookies get exposed in playoffs, Despres still needs to earn his stripes, etc. etc. but those are nonsense reasons to me. Despres has more natural skill than Engelland, Eaton, or Bortuzzo. He has better vision and puck moving ability and has not shied away from the physical game while he's been up here. You play him until he struggles. So if he does struggle in 2 games in the playoffs, then okay, bring in Eaton for game 3 and so on and so on... but Despres has earned the first nod in my eyes.

No one is questioning the roster move and no one is angry that we have so much depth on D. The roster move made sense and this amount of depth on D is greatly welcomed as it keeps players having to earn their keep. But Despres has earned it above the other 3 players.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sprtn55 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 am

skullman80 wrote:Yeah this is nothing more than a procedural move, not sure why some are going nuts over this.

Because those people don't understand waivers.
sprtn55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 am

Right now, I think despres, Niskanen, and Eaton are all about the same overall value. Obviously, Despres has a better upside. All three are below letang, Martin, and Orpik, and we brought Murray in for a reason, so none of those guys are going to sit. So you have 3 guys for 2 spaces. Despres isn't a lock for a roster spot. And if he gets scratched, it doesn't mean he stinks. It just means Eaton and Niskanen are also playing some pretty good hockey.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:35 am

Nisky or Eaton will need to play with Murray, my guess is Nisky since he has more speed. So Letang gets to play with Eaton or when he eventually gets hurt he plays with Despres which is still fine.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:36 am

DelPen wrote:Nisky or Eaton will need to play with Murray, my guess is Nisky since he has more speed. So Letang gets to play with Eaton or when he eventually gets hurt he plays with Despres which is still fine.

He is hurt. Broken Toe.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am

Agreed. I think letang will play with either Eaton or despres, and Murray and Niskanen will be our 5/6
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:41 am

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:
Now some people think rookies get exposed in playoffs, Despres still needs to earn his stripes, etc. etc. but those are nonsense reasons to me.

How is this nonsense? It's simply the reality of things.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:46 am

Gaucho wrote:
TheGhostofGoulet wrote:
Now some people think rookies get exposed in playoffs, Despres still needs to earn his stripes, etc. etc. but those are nonsense reasons to me.

How is this nonsense? It's simply the reality of things.

I like how they handled Gogo during the cup run. He was used when needed.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 am

I think Despres is one of the best 6 dman on this team, but I don't think limiting his minutes in the playoffs is a bad thing. They handled Letang/GoGo the same way in 09.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:13 pm

This thread...man.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm

The saviour has returned! How did we win without him last night?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:The saviour has returned! How did we win without him last night?

Only until Malkin comes off the IR :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Penspal wrote:Despres will be back, and he'll have 3-4 games of playing #1 minutes, so I see this as a win.

Injuries will happen, and he will get his chance. Let's just hope its to a lesser Dman, not a key piece.

Sorrry, occasionally my prophetic mojo is strong.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins