Question - Not Directly Pens Related...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Question - Not Directly Pens Related...

Postby Seattle-Pens-fan on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:14 am

So after seeing MAF sit out the third period tonight, I got to wondering something. I've watched hockey for a lot of years, and conventional wisdom has always been that a goalie needs to play the entire game, and a lot of games in a season, for maximum effectiveness. Why?

It seems to me that if a goalie tandem split a game, every game, they'd perhaps be more effective by virtue of having a little less work. As I say, I know that completely ignores conventional wisdom, but I wonder if anyone has ever done an actual statistical analysis proving it one way or another?

Sorry fellas, might just be too much beer and Excel time. :face:

Thoughts?
Seattle-Pens-fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Question - Not Directly Pens Related...

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:16 am

Seattle-Pens-fan wrote:So after seeing MAF sit out the third period tonight, I got to wondering something. I've watched hockey for a lot of years, and conventional wisdom has always been that a goalie needs to play the entire game, and a lot of games in a season, for maximum effectiveness. Why?

It seems to me that if a goalie tandem split a game, every game, they'd perhaps be more effective by virtue of having a little less work. As I say, I know that completely ignores conventional wisdom, but I wonder if anyone has ever done an actual statistical analysis proving it one way or another?

Sorry fellas, might just be too much beer and Excel time. :face:

Thoughts?

Rhythm is big for a goalie. Once a goalie is in he gets a groove and doesn't want to come out and the back up usually will go an hour or 2 without having seen a single shot. He is cold and can easily slip off his angles.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:10 am

Yeah, rhythm is big. It's tough to play goalie when you're cold. That would be quite torturous for goaltenders...I can't really begin to describe how bad it would be.

In 1946 (I believe), the Rangers would sometimes change goalies with the lines, maybe every third shift or so for a little while in there. Frank Boucher was the coach and the goalies were Chuck Rayner and "Sugar" Jim Henry...now that I have access to New York Times articles, I'll research this more, but the story goes that there was only one blocker and one glove between the two of them and when they changed, they swapped a little gear as well. I don't really believe that, but I do believe that they would switch in and out sometimes in that fashion...like I said, it's on my "things to research more" list right now.

As for its effectiveness, the Rangers finished dead last in the league that year and surrendered the most goals. Each goalie finished at the bottom of the pack for GAA that season too (min. 10 games played).

Though, it wasn't because two bad goalies were doing it...

Following the experiment, Rayner played all but 2 games the next season and led the league in shutouts, his next full season he was a 2nd Team All-Star (again playing basically every minute), the season after that he won the Hart Trophy (rare for a goalie, of course), and was a 2nd Team All-Star the following year, again, where he played nearly every minute of every game.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:48 am

I could see a situation where your team is up like 5-0, or 6-1 going into the 3rd period, and you want to give some rookie goaltender a period of NHL playing time, when he hasn't got any playing time, and when the backup might be coming back from injury or something.

Interesting though.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:21 am

Bringing a goalie in cold is not a good way to breed success. I also don't think conventional wisdom has been that a goalie needs to play a lot of games for maximum effectiveness, it has been that you want to get your best goalie into a lot of games to minimize bad games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penmyst on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 am

Is that Tony Larussa posting?

What's next? Closer goalies to come in for the last 5 minutes of a game?
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:11 am

Nizzy wrote:I could see a situation where your team is up like 5-0, or 6-1 going into the 3rd period, and you want to give some rookie goaltender a period of NHL playing time, when he hasn't got any playing time, and when the backup might be coming back from injury or something.

Interesting though.

A coach pulling a goalie who is working on a shutout just to get the backup some time...? Not bloody likely. I wouldn't even do that at the youth level, the guy that's not playing can play the next game instead...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:30 am

My midget coach used to do this with me and the other goalie, but that was because that ass wouldn't show up to the games he wasn't slated to start if he was sitting on the bench. From experience, it's not awesome.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins