Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:56 am

It's certainly not a great thing for the program, but I don't think it would be catastrophic. Bennett and Crockett have looked like capable running backs; Shell wasn't a Chryst recruit, so I don't expect it to have much of an impact on recruiting (the situation can easily be explained); and if any of the rumors of grade issues, attitude problems, work ethic problems, wants everything handed to him, butting heads with coaches who are trying to make him grow up instead of being an entitled punk, etc. are true, then peace out jagoff. Maybe I'm a bit old school with my line of thinking, but I just don't feel like any player is bigger than the program, regardless of their talent level. If Shell is unhappy with his situation at Pitt because the coaches are making him work for and earn his playing time, well then good riddance.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 am

I don't think anyone views it as catastrophic, but its not good if it happens.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 am

slappybrown wrote:I don't think anyone views it as catastrophic, but its not good if it happens.

This. Just read on the pay board from Chris Peak that he is pretty much gone. GOing to either UCLA, USC, or Arizona St.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:07 am

so all those fluff pieces on espn and in the pg about shell wanting to be a good dad for his kids turned out to be.....fluff.

shocking.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:10 am

newarenanow wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I don't think anyone views it as catastrophic, but its not good if it happens.

This. Just read on the pay board from Chris Peak that he is pretty much gone. GOing to either UCLA, USC, or Arizona St.

How certain was he? Or did he really say "pretty much gone." Just curious because I trust Peak
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:26 am

I don't really care. He's pretty much gone in a year no matter what. From the tweets that he sends, he is all about money and getting to the NFL, which I mean all 4-5 star recruits think about that somewhat but you had once decent season on a 6-7 team so don't put the cart before the horse. I think in the long run Pitt is better off.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 am

I'd be "all about the money" if my sole chance at a lucrative career could end in a second while I work for free, too.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 am

Pitt is not better off if he leaves this year. No way you can spin it that way.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:50 am

Yea, I don't really hold grudges on college players for switching schools... It's their career / life. Calling him a bad father or insulting him for "being about the money," is a little bit much.

That being said, on the surface this doesn't make much sense. He's "the man" in a run happy offense.

Asu
A rb taking a year off to go from Chryst offense to Graham's?

USC
Decent chance he won't be "the guy" after a year off..

UCLA
Really don't see how this is worth a year off...

I'm sure there's stuff we don't know though
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 pm

If grades are an issue how would transferring to USC or UCLA help?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:If grades are an issue how would transferring to USC or UCLA help?

Where's it being reported that its grades?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 pm

High octane.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:31 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:If grades are an issue how would transferring to USC or UCLA help?

Where's it being reported that its grades?

Stoosh wrote:Per Peak's twitter feed, it's confirmed that he's looking into a transfer, but he has not requested a release. Vague on details, but apparently some of this involves academics and playing time issues (not keen on possibly having to share carries, I guess?).
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 pm

@Skullman: You're right, my saying Pitt is better off w/o Shell is off the mark. It looks terrible from a recruiting standpoint.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Pitt Football: Whatever it Takes to Make Pitt Basketball Look Competent.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Pitt football is a disaster, which is part of the reason I appreciate the stability of Dixon.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:13 pm

It definitely doesn't make Pitt better next season, but I fail to see how this looks terrible or is disasterous from a recruiting standpoint.

Prospective recruit asks Chryst about the Shell transfer, "He wasn't my recruit, he was promised things by the prior coaching staff that I didn't agree with, he didn't want to put in the work to earn his playing time, and that ultimately prevented him from being the type of young man that we see as "Pitt material", but you are that type of young man, so here's what we see in your future if you decide to become a Pitt Panther..."

Boom, over. I highly doubt this is an issue for the majority of prospective recruits. Players transfer all the time. If recruits were worried about why someone was transferring out of a program, no one would commit anywhere. Results on the field are what matter most when luring big time recruits. Shell is about to disappear like a fart in the wind and likely will end up buried on some other program's depth chart. If this has any affect on recruiting, hopefully it gets Shai McKenzie's mouth watering about playing time as a freshman.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:It definitely doesn't make Pitt better next season, but I fail to see how this looks terrible or is disasterous from a recruiting standpoint.

Prospective recruit asks Chryst about the Shell transfer, "He wasn't my recruit, he was promised things by the prior coaching staff that I didn't agree with, he didn't want to put in the work to earn his playing time, and that ultimately prevented him from being the type of young man that we see as "Pitt material", but you are that type of young man, so here's what we see in your future if you decide to become a Pitt Panther..."

Boom, over. I highly doubt this is an issue for the majority of prospective recruits. Players transfer all the time. If recruits were worried about why someone was transferring out of a program, no one would commit anywhere. Results on the field are what matter most when luring big time recruits. Shell is about to disappear like a fart in the wind and likely will end up buried on some other program's depth chart. If this has any affect on recruiting, hopefully it gets Shai McKenzie's mouth watering about playing time as a freshman.

Trashing prior players who transferred isn't what I'd want to hear from a coach.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 pm

columbia wrote:Pitt football is a disaster, which is part of the reason I appreciate the stability of Dixon.

Pitt Football shouldn't be a measuring stick for anything
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Shell will be a small fish in a big pond in USC. UCLA is on the up but not sure what their RB situation is. ASU makes sense since Fraud recruited Shell.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:It definitely doesn't make Pitt better next season, but I fail to see how this looks terrible or is disasterous from a recruiting standpoint.

Trashing prior players who transferred isn't what I'd want to hear from a coach.

That's a far cry from trashing. Saying he was a lazy POS who didn't feel like practicing, milked injuries to get out of training, and was a cancerous malcontent and the program is better off without him, that's trashing a former player. My example was explaining the situation while highlighting what the coaching staff expects from its players. "He didn't want to do this stuff, but we know that you can." You deflect the question while pumping up the attributes of the recruit you're talking to.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 pm

jimjom wrote:Shell will be a small fish in a big pond in USC. UCLA is on the up but not sure what their RB situation is. ASU makes sense since Fraud recruited Shell.

I don't think they'd release him from his schollie to go to ASU.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 pm

This is why FSU is going to the Big XII.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

That's a far cry from trashing. Saying he was a lazy POS who didn't feel like practicing, milked injuries to get out of training, and was a cancerous malcontent and the program is better off without him, that's trashing a former player. My example was explaining the situation while highlighting what the coaching staff expects from its players. "He didn't want to do this stuff, but we know that you can." You deflect the question while pumping up the attributes of the recruit you're talking to.

I'm far from a recruiting expert, but Id' just say "He wasn't my recruit, he was promised things by the prior coaching staff that I didn't agree with" and end it
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
columbia wrote:Pitt football is a disaster, which is part of the reason I appreciate the stability of Dixon.

Pitt Football shouldn't be a measuring stick for anything

I'm just trying to be optimistic. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR