Is anything less than a championship acceptable?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Is anything less than a championship acceptable?

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:57 pm

This is an all in move.

it's Cup or bust.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm

sort of like bryan murray saying the pens threw a few games to draw ottawa in 08. pretty much conceded defeat before the series began.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby since1970 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 2m So I ask Ottawa coach Paul MacLean his thoughts on Iginla deal: "I don't know why we're going to bother playing the playoffs

this is what the team will have to ignore.

Lol what a classy answer. Instead of "I believe our guys can compete with the best," he basically says "Our guys suck, there's no reason to continue. THE FIX IS IN"

Are we sure this wasn't a you guys already have them crowned Cup champions sarcasm??
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Odd Man Rush on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:It wasn't before and it isn't now.

The correct answer. When you have the two best players on the planet, each of whom is in their primes at the same time, and you have already won a Cup, there is no room for anything but another championship. I don't care about meaningless regular season winning streaks, nor do I don't care about President's Trophy. I don't even care about winning the Eastern Conference. They don't throw parades for those things.

It's Stanley Cup or bust for this group and that was true the moment the lockout ended and it's certainly true today.
Odd Man Rush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm

penny lane wrote:
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 2m So I ask Ottawa coach Paul MacLean his thoughts on Iginla deal: "I don't know why we're going to bother playing the playoffs

I would assume there was a heavt dose of sarcasm in MacLean's comment. He is not a throw in the towle guy, nor is his team. If they were, they would be in last place already with all of the talent they have lost.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:01 pm

since1970 wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:
penny lane wrote:

Lol what a classy answer. Instead of "I believe our guys can compete with the best," he basically says "Our guys suck, there's no reason to continue. THE FIX IS IN"

Are we sure this wasn't a you guys already have them crowned Cup champions sarcasm??

Yeah, I was under the impression it was a joke.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwest21 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm

penny lane wrote:

I don't know why Ottawa is going to bother playing in the playoffs, either
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Idk, with how vocal they've been about their chances after the loss of Karlsson, who knows. Classless organization.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Evidenced by the mural they put up when we swept them.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:It wasn't before and it isn't now.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Great58 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Are we clearly hands down better than Chicago? I will need to see this team perform on the ice before I reach this conclusion. Personally, I don't recall the amazing chemistry and results of Iggy and Sid in the Olympics, except for THE goal. And we haven't been able to play any West teams this year to test ourselves against them, I think CHI and ANA are both better than the closest competition we have in the East. So... I think it's SCF or BUST, but won't go planning a victory parade just yet. GMRS put us in the best possible position to make it happen, though.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Great58 wrote:Are we clearly hands down better than Chicago? I will need to see this team perform on the ice before I reach this conclusion. Personally, I don't recall the amazing chemistry and results of Iggy and Sid in the Olympics, except for THE goal. And we haven't been able to play any West teams this year to test ourselves against them, I think CHI and ANA are both better than the closest competition we have in the East. So... I think it's SCF or BUST, but won't go planning a victory parade just yet. GMRS put us in the best possible position to make it happen, though.

I don't think anyone here is over-reacting saying plan the parade. We're all cautious, but it's hard to argue that Iginla is a huge improvement.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Great58 wrote:Are we clearly hands down better than Chicago? I will need to see this team perform on the ice before I reach this conclusion. Personally, I don't recall the amazing chemistry and results of Iggy and Sid in the Olympics, except for THE goal. And we haven't been able to play any West teams this year to test ourselves against them, I think CHI and ANA are both better than the closest competition we have in the East. So... I think it's SCF or BUST, but won't go planning a victory parade just yet. GMRS put us in the best possible position to make it happen, though.

Yes - as critical as I have been with Fleury, Fleury and Vokoun are hands-down better than Emery and Crawford. In addition, give me our forwards over their top 9. Toews and Kane are not in the same class as Malkin and Crosby. Their team D is not that good either.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:33 pm

1. Do not forget that the Rangers were crowned Kings of the East long before the season began. They are now fighting for their playoff lives.

2. Do not forget 1993, where that team's talent makes this team look like the Nashville Predators.

3. Do not forget 2004, where a team with Forsberg, Kariya, Tanguay, Selanne, Sakic, Blake, Foote, and Hejduk only won a single playoff series.

4. Do not forget that we are not getting Iginla/Morrow circa 2008. They are 35 years old. That is old in hockey years. Not ancient-but old. They have talent, no doubt, but not as much as they once had.

As far as I'm concerned anybody who thinks we already won the Stanley Cup should reflect on history and realize we have a long, long, long way to go before that dream becomes a reality*. I can't remember a post-season I've been more excited for since Ottawa in Sid's second season. Enjoy the run.

*I know that mentality is much less prevalent here than in some other corners of the internet...
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm

skullman80 wrote:This is an all in move.

it's Cup or bust.

Yeah but...

In the off season if we do not bring back Iginla, Morrow, and Murray. We still have a top 5 team going into next year. With Despres and Bennett probably finally being full time starters. Bortuzzo probably being an official bottom pair...we have another good team going forward.

So I don't know why people are calling it a Bust. WE can resign all of our core players next year, and maybe 2 of the 3 rentals if they take reasonable cuts.

This isn't bust. It's all in this year, with a complete re-buy option next year.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:09 pm

By no means is the Cup a done deal - it is a very long, hard road.

Having said that, the answer to the question is "No".

And the very last thing I want is that damned President's Trophy. Get that piece of junk outtahere! That's something ballerinas like the Caps win. It means nothing and I want nothing to do with it.

Only Lord Stanley's Cup (and the brandy :lol: ) will do!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

Yes - as critical as I have been with Fleury, Fleury and Vokoun are hands-down better than Emery and Crawford. In addition, give me our forwards over their top 9. Toews and Kane are not in the same class as Malkin and Crosby. Their team D is not that good either.

I agree with each point of your assessment. But the Hawks have been winning consistently playing dominant hockey over the past 3 months. We've only been doing it for a month, and now we're completely retooling. Even if Morrow doesn't play to his hoped for potential and Murray only plays in select series (such as Boston), I do believe we have gotten very much better this week simply with the addition of depth, plus Iginla. Just need to put in in motion now.

The sum of my thoughts is that a loss in the Finals to a Hawks team wouldn't signify to me a busted season or effort, but I hope to never have to test those emotions.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:This team is built so that we could win this thing without Geno or Crosby IMO.

Holy exaggeration.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:12 pm

André wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:This team is built so that we could win this thing without Geno or Crosby IMO.

Holy exaggeration.

I honestly don't think that's too far fetched.

Certainly the loss of both would be nearly insurmountable. But look at this team.

With a healthy roster, failure would be worse than even '93, but without one or the other, I think we still have a shot.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby SixTeaSix on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 pm

To say it simply.............NO!!!!!
SixTeaSix

Postby no name on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:38 pm

When you go out for one season and buy up all the players you can knowing the cap will go down you are expecting to make it deep in the playoffs. Of course it doesn't always work out like that.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby torartc on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 pm

It's hard to imagine the Pens loosing a 4 games out of 7 to anyone the way they are playing right now. I'd really hate to be this strong all the way up until the playoffs only to see them take a nose dive at some point.
torartc
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:57 pm

As Ray Shero has said numerous times, it's about winning four games in the playoffs. Then another four...and so on.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:02 pm

"Yes" to answer original post.

Anything can happen. Hockey is not "bought & paid for" which is why so many of us love it. Anything can happen and crazy stuff always does.

A team from the west (Chicago) could come and we have the best 7 game SC series going 7 games and 7 overtimes in the final game! If they lose, they lose, so be it. Enjoy the moment people, a team like this current one is so rarely assembled that its nearly impossible to keep it together (remember, cap going down next year).
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Now it is
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins