More than a battle for Eastern Conference dominance?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

More than a battle for Eastern Conference dominance?

Postby marek on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm

I posted this thought last night in the Iginla thread and after doing a bit of research (albeit some speculation from some sources) it seems a bit more plausible... and at a minimum a bit ironic.

Boston offered prospect Alex Khokhlachev and a second-round pick straight up for Morrow...
Pens sent Joe Morrow and a fifth round pick for Morrow and Dallas third...

The Bruins offered Matt Bartkowski, Alex Khokhlachev and a conditional first round pick for Iginla...
The Pens: Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski and a non-conditional first round pick in this years draft...

ON PAPER, BOTH OFFERS ARE/WERE BETTER THAN WHAT THE PENS GAVE UP.

The story has been shaped that the big trade ultimately went through because it was Iginla's choice... and I get that but... why would Feaster take less in return for his big chip top asset? To make sure his favorite player was happy? Sure, maybe.

I think another factor is Jeremy Jacobs.
Why would another organization work with him/ the bruins to benefit in any way?
It's common knowledge the guy was the hardliner for both past lockouts.

Buffalo News: "he's the driving force in the NHL's work stoppage"
Joe Haggerty of CSN New England (who covers the Bruins) even said so as well.

A work stoppage that subtracted a huge chunk of this year's revenue away from teams. Revenue which some teams needed more than others. And as a result has altered the trade-market landscape.

So say you're a GM in a tough financial spot, why would you do a deal to benefit a team whose owner literally took food off your table? And ironically there were reports that he and Burkle (and a few other owners) exchanged very heated words during "the mediation sessions" and it was ultimately Jacobs attitude which kept the lockout going on.

Well Jeremy, looks like Burkle got his way again. :fist:
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: More than a battle for Eastern Conference dominance?

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:56 pm

wat?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LAChrisPaul on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 pm

marek wrote:I posted this thought last night in the Iginla thread and after doing a bit of research (albeit some speculation from some sources) it seems a bit more plausible... and at a minimum a bit ironic.

Boston offered prospect Alex Khokhlachev and a second-round pick straight up for Morrow...
Pens sent Joe Morrow and a fifth round pick for Morrow and Dallas third...

The Bruins offered Matt Bartkowski, Alex Khokhlachev and a conditional first round pick for Iginla...
The Pens: Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski and a non-conditional first round pick in this years draft...

ON PAPER, BOTH OFFERS ARE/WERE BETTER THAN WHAT THE PENS GAVE UP.

The story has been shaped that the big trade ultimately went through because it was Iginla's choice... and I get that but... why would Feaster take less in return for his big chip top asset? To make sure his favorite player was happy? Sure, maybe.

I think another factor is Jeremy Jacobs.
Why would another organization work with him/ the bruins to benefit in any way?
It's common knowledge the guy was the hardliner for both past lockouts.

Buffalo News: "he's the driving force in the NHL's work stoppage"
Joe Haggerty of CSN New England (who covers the Bruins) even said so as well.

A work stoppage that subtracted a huge chunk of this year's revenue away from teams. Revenue which some teams needed more than others. And as a result has altered the trade-market landscape.

So say you're a GM in a tough financial spot, why would you do a deal to benefit a team whose owner literally took food off your table? And ironically there were reports that he and Burkle (and a few other owners) exchanged very heated words during "the mediation sessions" and it was ultimately Jacobs attitude which kept the lockout going on.

Well Jeremy, looks like Burkle got his way again. :fist:

Interesting.
LAChrisPaul

Postby jwest21 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 pm

he is saying that Boston losing out on both trades is revenge for their Owner being instrumental in continuing the lock-out
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 pm

marek wrote:why would Feaster take less in return for his big chip top asset? To make sure his favorite player was happy? Sure, maybe.

Because it wasn't Feaster's decision. The end.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Very interesting. For those saying wat, here's more on Jacobs role in the lockout

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:08 pm

So... aliens?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby marek on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 pm

ok... I expected as much... but lets see if another GM plays with Chiarelli then before next week... The Bruins have been looking for a veteran presence to add to their mix on defense as well... Murray? Nope.

There's always the flyers though LOL
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:18 pm

Gaucho wrote:So... aliens?

Actually, I think this has legitimate merit. Two players, both with no trade clauses, chose the Penguins over an equally impressive Boston team. It's not difficult to imagine that Jacobs' hard-line stance has turned players against him, and certainly it's not difficult to imagine that some players would use his business tactics as reason to avoid working for him. This might actually be the beginning of a trend that could result in free agents avoiding some teams that "stuck it to them."
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Everyone is saying these Boston offers are so much better than the penguin offers, even laughably better.
I'm not so sure they are THAT far apart.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm

marek wrote:ok... I expected as much... but lets see if another GM plays with Chiarelli then before next week... The Bruins have been looking for a veteran presence to add to their mix on defense as well... Murray? Nope.

There's always the flyers though LOL

I don't think this has anything to do with general managers, as both players had veto power that put a halt to their GM's dealings. I think this has to do with players not wanting to choose to player for a jerk who wanted to screw them over.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Brad Marchand looks like one, and nobody wants to play with an Alien. so yes.. aliens.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm

This is an interesting conspiracy theory; I approve.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm

There might be something to this theory. The OP is not the first one I have heard suggest it.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm

it's natural to rag on conspiracy theories, but it's at least possible that this one has legs, imo.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Mark Madden says thanks for posting this now, instead of after his show.. now he has some good fodder.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 pm

I buy it. Boston is at least top 5 in the NHL along with Pittsburgh, Montreal, Chicago and Anaheim in chances to win the cup. They have everything you need to win. Iginla is a character guy. If Feaster pleaded with him that the Flames would be much better with the Boston deal then I think he would have taken it, odds are just as good for him to make whichever of those 5 teams the favorite by adding him.

But Jacobs cost him over $3 million if you want to assign blame to him. Morrow lost $2 million. Jacobs has been an ass for decades taking over as the NHL's worst owner after Bill Writz died in regards to how he treats fans and players.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm not sure I buy it. This would mean Iggy named Boston as one of his desired destinations with the intention to **** them over and show them up. I like to think he has too much class for such a bush league move.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:32 pm

I think you are barking up the wrong tree with the organization aspect.

I believe both the Stars and the Flames are part of the majority of hockey clubs that would have lost money this season if no change in the CBA agreement. So Boston actually advocated for their best-interests.

I have no opinion if the players resent Jacobs for this position.

But I think it is less of a reach to focus on the fact that the Penguins ownership/management have been well known in recent years to be player-friendly, fair and dedicated to a winning product. And that the players on the club are of capable of elite performances and winning the Cup. I think this is the more likely situation, not a big FU to Boston management.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Gaucho wrote:I'm not sure I buy it. This would mean Iggy named Boston as one of his desired destinations with the intention to **** them over and show them up. I like to think he has too much class for such a bush league move.

But did he ever really make a list? More garbage from Feaster to drive up the price? Not every GM can get Dumoulin, Sutter and a 1st for a player who says he will only go to that team :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 pm

shmenguin wrote:

it's natural to rag on conspiracy theories, but it's at least possible that this one has legs, imo.

So ... aliens it is then?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Freeplayers Association

Crosby = Dave Rothschild
Iginla = Jay Rockefeller
Morrow = James DuPont
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:39 pm

DelPen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I'm not sure I buy it. This would mean Iggy named Boston as one of his desired destinations with the intention to **** them over and show them up. I like to think he has too much class for such a bush league move.

But did he ever really make a list? More garbage from Feaster to drive up the price? Not every GM can get Dumoulin, Sutter and a 1st for a player who says he will only go to that team :)

Given the negotiations between Feaster and Chiarelli I'd say definitely yes. So if this... theory were true, Iggy really screwed his GM and the Flames franchise as a whole.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:40 pm

mac5155 wrote:Mark Madden says thanks for posting this now, instead of after his show.. now he has some good fodder.

naw - he's still on the "you boo Subban because he's black".

because pittsburgh has never boo'd a white guy, and they've always boo'd every single black player they've had in every sport. Nobody in Pittsburgh roots for the Steelers, and everyone hates McCutchen.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 pm

When you give a player a NMC, you've basically told him that if you want to move him - he gets to pick.

If you give that to a player, you are acknowledging what he's done for you. At that point you are telling him that he owes you nothing when / if that time comes.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins