Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:It definitely doesn't make Pitt better next season, but I fail to see how this looks terrible or is disasterous from a recruiting standpoint.

Prospective recruit asks Chryst about the Shell transfer, "He wasn't my recruit, he was promised things by the prior coaching staff that I didn't agree with, he didn't want to put in the work to earn his playing time, and that ultimately prevented him from being the type of young man that we see as "Pitt material", but you are that type of young man, so here's what we see in your future if you decide to become a Pitt Panther..."

Boom, over. I highly doubt this is an issue for the majority of prospective recruits. Players transfer all the time. If recruits were worried about why someone was transferring out of a program, no one would commit anywhere. Results on the field are what matter most when luring big time recruits. Shell is about to disappear like a fart in the wind and likely will end up buried on some other program's depth chart. If this has any affect on recruiting, hopefully it gets Shai McKenzie's mouth watering about playing time as a freshman.

Trashing prior players who transferred isn't what I'd want to hear from a coach.

That's a far cry from trashing. Saying he was a lazy POS who didn't feel like practicing, milked injuries to get out of training, and was a cancerous malcontent and the program is better off without him, that's trashing a former player. My example was explaining the situation while highlighting what the coaching staff expects from its players. "He didn't want to do this stuff, but we know that you can." You deflect the question while pumping up the attributes of the recruit you're talking to.

To me, telling a recruit that some other player "didn't want to work hard" or that he "wasn't the kind of young man that is Pitt material" sounds like trashing. The later is also sanctimonious BS, but that's just me. I'm sure such a tact might work with some recruits, but not others. Have to know your audience, I guess.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:45 pm

slappybrown wrote:I'm putting my fandom up on Ebay.

So wait. EPP was just ahead of the curve and not really crazy?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Additionally, while maybe Chryst can minimize his leaving, other coaches will use it as evidence that Pitt isn't where you want to be if you're a top recruit, etc. DAMN YOU HOLGO
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 pm

slappybrown wrote:Additionally, while maybe Chryst can minimize his leaving, other coaches will use it as evidence that Pitt isn't where you want to be if you're a top recruit, etc. DAMN YOU HOLGO

What exactly are they going to say? "Don't go to Pitt, they'll make you work for your playing time, but I'll guarantee you that you'll be 2nd on the depth chart this season." If that sways a recruit, he's not someone that Chryst wants anyway.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Additionally, while maybe Chryst can minimize his leaving, other coaches will use it as evidence that Pitt isn't where you want to be if you're a top recruit, etc. DAMN YOU HOLGO

What exactly are they going to say? "Don't go to Pitt, they'll make you work for your playing time, but I'll guarantee you that you'll be 2nd on the depth chart this season." If that sways a recruit, he's not someone that Chryst wants anyway.

Come on Dickie, surely you can see how a coach could use this against Pitt in recruiting.

"Pitt isn't in our class. They recruit 5-star players like yourself, and they wind up leaving. We want the best players to succeed here; Rushel Shell grew up there and even he left." - Dana Holgerson, next spring.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 pm

So, did he officially ask for a transfer?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:55 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

Come on Dickie, surely you can see how a coach could use this against Pitt in recruiting.

"Pitt isn't in our class. They recruit 5-star players like yourself, and they wind up leaving. We want the best players to succeed here; Rushel Shell grew up there and even he left." - Dana Holgerson, next spring.

That's definitely a possibility. I'm not denying that the situation is going to force the coaching staff to perform damage control with some recruits, I just believe that they will be able to downplay it. Ultimately, performance on the field is what will matter most and a successful season would go a long way to help minimize any negative recruiting impact.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Yea, agreed. If Pitt has a good season and can win, say 8 or 9 games in the ACC, that would be great.*

*This sentence is step 1 of 38783 in me convincing myself that this year is different and that we will succeed. Its a sad thing to watch.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Supposedly over the next few days there will be other transfers out of Pitt. Shell isn't the only one.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 pm

newarenanow wrote:Supposedly over the next few days there will be other transfers out of Pitt. Shell isn't the only one.

A lot of people seem to think Rippy is leaving too. That doesn't surprise me, as he was a highly touted recruit that can't even crack the two-deep. Shell does surprise me though since he is getting the playing time and is close to home and his family.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:53 pm

slappybrown wrote:Yea, agreed. If Pitt has a good season and can win, say 8 or 9 games in the ACC, that would be great.*

*This sentence is step 1 of 38783 in me convincing myself that this year is different and that we will succeed. Its a sad thing to watch.

Ohh I know, I am irrationally optimistic. I have faith in Chryst. At least for now. Being a Pitt fan is rough.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:58 pm

It doesn't matter, you guys could suit up WPIAL kids and beat VT. Just beat FSU next year and we'll call it even.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:27 pm

When Rushel Shell chose Pitt he wanted to stay "close to home" to be near his family and his two daughters.

I don't think that has changed has it?

Who was the Pitt coach who recruited Shell, wasn't it Tony Gibson (The same guy who recruited Denard Robinson to Michigan right?)? Where is Tony Gibson coaching these days? Is it far from Hopewell?

:pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Stoosh on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm

newarenanow wrote:Supposedly over the next few days there will be other transfers out of Pitt. Shell isn't the only one.

Saw something from either Dokish or Peak on Twitter that they have like 89 players and need to get down to 85, so there definitely will be departures out.

DT Terrell Jackson requested and received his transfer request yesterday as well. Not sure if the numbers above were put together before or after he was out of the equation.

Rippy may be the next to go. Highly-rated LB, but there were concerns with him about character and work ethic as well. As talented as the kid may be, if those are legitimate questions with Rippy, adios.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 pm

rippy is meh to this gentleman. he was highly rated coming out of high school, but pitt is loaded at linebacker anyway.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm not a paying member of PantherLair's site, but from what I could gather, it sounds like there were some issues Shell had within the program and also personal issues. Whether those are just with him or something at home, I'm not sure...none of my business.

The team issued a statement today saying that they're working with him to help him through his issues. He has not formally requested a transfer or release from his scholarship, but has been granted some time away from the program to work things out, with the school helping him along the way.

I'm certainly not going to bury the kid if he leaves. It happens, and if he has what to him are legitimate reasons why he feels he wants to go, then fine. It sucks because it could've been a nice story to watch as a fan, but that's about it as far as I need to be concerned.

If he goes, they'll still have Bennett and Crockett coming back, both of whom seem capable. They moved one of the David twins to RB in kind of a Larod-Stephens Howling role. True freshman James Connor was said to be getting some looks at RB as well. Another member of the 2013 class - Rachid Ibrahim - was recruited as a safety but also played RB in high school, so maybe they move him there for depth.

And as it was mentioned above, whatever happens here may bolster their chances to lock Shai McKenzie in as a recruit.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Giannotti reporting that Shell has filed his transfer paperwork.

Sitting here looking at my beautiful daughters wondering how someone could ever consider leaving #Selfish #somethingsneverchange !

That's the most recent tweet from Shell's girlfriend and the mother of his twin daughters. Looks the the family issues he needed to work out was whether or not he was going to leave his family.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:02 pm

Yep its official. Don't let the door hit ya.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... tt-681722/
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:17 pm

so what situation could this guy go into and have it be better than the one he was already in?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:25 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:so what situation could this guy go into and have it be better than the one he was already in?

And he has to sit out a year, right?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:27 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:so what situation could this guy go into and have it be better than the one he was already in?

A situation where he is half a country away from having to act like a father.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm

He needs to plant his seed all over the country. This is his opportunity to populate the west coast.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:01 pm

I would say that most college players transfer for these reasons (in no particular order)...

1. To be closer to home
2. To get more playing time
3. Because their style of play does not mesh with their school's system

Obviously, none of these apply to Shell, which makes his decision a head-scratcher. Folks on pantherlair have claimed the following...

1. He came into spring practice out of shape, the Pitt coaches and his teammates called him out on it, and he didn't like that
2. He has some baby momma drama going on and wants to get away from that
3. He failed another drug test (which is why he was suspended for the YSU game), and instead of taking a redshirt at Pitt during his suspension, he would rather have that suspension "swept" under the rug by going to another school. Plus, if he goes to the Pac-12 as many are speculating, the ganga is legal in many of those states (I have seen several claims that he has an issue with that).

Honestly, I think it's probably a combination of all 3, and instead of dealing with these challenges head on, he is running from them. Hopefully he gets his act together, but it sounds like he has a lot of maturity issues right now.

An interesting point I read was that Pitt fans who think the sky is falling because they lost Shell are the same people who say running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Sure, he is probably the best RB on Pitt's roster, but Bennett and Crocket are talented enough to be productive behind a much improved O-Line. Plus, Bennett ran a faster 100 meter dash than Robert Foster did, and he was the Texas state champion in the long jump when he was in high school (in other words, the kid is tremendously athletic). Shell leaving does hurt the depth at RB, and it may cause incoming freshman James Conner to move to RB (Pitt recruited him as a defensive lineman). With the frame that Conner has (6'2 232) Id rather see him develop into a rush end than carry the ball, but he could be a bruising running back. That, in my opinion, is the biggest consequence of the Shell transfer, as Pitt needs guys like Conner to get after the QB.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:25 pm

I blame Matt Cooke for Shell leaving.
newarenanow