GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 am

Ho1kB hasn't released their list of beers (35-40) for the sour tasting in April, which they are doing as part of Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week, but they are starting to tease. The first such teaser is The Bruery Sour in the Rye. I remember seeing a review on this one and thinking it sounded great.
Image
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,907
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Image

Pretty damn tasty, though I would have upped the pecan flavor a bit.


#pbp
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,353
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby count2infinity on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:12 pm

bought a variety pack of wood chuck's cider as it was on sale. i realize it's not beer, but it's pretty tasty. the granny smith apple one is by far my favorite. nice and tart, just like drinking a granny smith, but with booze.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,162
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:37 pm

malkinshair wrote:Picked up a six-pack each of Goose Island Mild Winter and Victory Swing Session Saison.

Goose Island was pretty good, but I think I'm done with winters.
Victory Saison is really tasty. I haven't had much experience with saisons, but if this is an at least decent representation of the style (little help, Kraftster!), I'm down with trying others. A good departure from the heavier porters, stouts, and winters I've been drowning in the past few months.


Finally tried the Victory Saison tonight on draft at Mercurio's. It is pretty solid for a 12 oz saison you can get in cases. I'd say its overall fairly muted in most of the typical saison elements, particularly in the funk category. Not much funk to speak of other than a solid wet band-aid smell. Decent pepperiness, though. I will probably get a case of this for the $ value.

If you liked the Victory, I think the 21st Amendment is a slightly better 12 oz saison (cans). They have six packs at Giant Eagle right now. But really, you should just jump right in and go for the Saison Dupont (green bottle 750 ML, about $9).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,907
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:33 pm

After writing that, I decided I would go get a Saison Dupont. Instead, I found a "Diabolic Pleasures" Unibroue two (750ML) pack for $13.99 (!!!). Maudite and Eau Benite. I have not been able to find Eau Benite (a tripel) before, which some regard as being better than LFDM. Grabbed the two pack and some peppers. Going to make some vegetarian chili while the beer is chilling. The chili should finish right around the time that the beer is ready. Great Thursday night.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,907
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:31 am

The Eau Benite is quite good. Definitely more like a traditional tripel than the LFDM, sweeter primarily. Candied sugar, bubble gum, peach smell. All carries over fiarly well in the taste, add in a little canteloupe and white pepper. Not boozy at all.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,907
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:54 pm

Any good micro breweries in the South Florida area? (from Miami to West Palm Beach)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Cigar City and Saint Somewhere in the Tampa area. Can't visit those, but that stuff should be readily available and is high quality.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,907
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby BadHands71 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Kraftster wrote:Cigar City and Saint Somewhere in the Tampa area. Can't visit those, but that stuff should be readily available and is high quality.


I second this. Sweetwater is also available in the south and their IPA is incredible. Never had anything else by them, but if their IPA is any indication, their stuff is awesome.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,008
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby legame on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Also try Terrapin out of Athens, GA if its available.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,927
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Wilmywood, NC

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 pm

BadHands71 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Cigar City and Saint Somewhere in the Tampa area. Can't visit those, but that stuff should be readily available and is high quality.


I second this. Sweetwater is also available in the south and their IPA is incredible. Never had anything else by them, but if their IPA is any indication, their stuff is awesome.


I'll second the recommendation on Sweetwater:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29652&p=1849003&hilit=grapefruit#p1849003

And I'm not an IPA fan.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,353
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 pm

I appreciate the advice. when I was in Jacksonville a couple of weeks ago I was disappointed that the only regional available was Shinerbock.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby BadHands71 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 pm

The south has some awesome beers to offer. It's disappointing that the most known brewery out of the Southeast US is Abita. Their stuff is ok, but at the best, its average. Sweetwater, Cigar City and St. Somewhere are awesome breweries
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,008
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 pm

BadHands71 wrote:The south has some awesome beers to offer. It's disappointing that the most known brewery out of the Southeast US is Abita. Their stuff is ok, but at the best, its average. Sweetwater, Cigar City and St. Somewhere are awesome breweries


Ouch, Abita is out of the Mississippi Delta, and I personally don't consider that region the South East.

Plus, I really enjoy Abita. Don't ruin my fun :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:05 pm

I am going to a wedding in Baton Rogue this fall, and I was checking out to see what other breweries LA has to offer. Not many at all. They have almost no craft scene it appears.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,907
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby BadHands71 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:16 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:The south has some awesome beers to offer. It's disappointing that the most known brewery out of the Southeast US is Abita. Their stuff is ok, but at the best, its average. Sweetwater, Cigar City and St. Somewhere are awesome breweries


Ouch, Abita is out of the Mississippi Delta, and I personally don't consider that region the South East.

Plus, I really enjoy Abita. Don't ruin my fun :)


Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I guess its just my personal preferences. I'm an IPA freak and I've not had an IPA or pale ale from Abita that really hit my palate the right way. But I do know that their Purple Haze and other styles are popular. I guess that I've just never had anything from them that has wowed me, regardless of style. Didn't mean to rain on your parade, just not a fan personally. Sorry. :( Oh well, to each their own.

As far as the geographical thing, idk, I've never been sure what's considered the south east, north east, midwest, etc. I guess that's all a matter of opinion too. :scared: :scared: :scared:
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,008
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 pm

BadHands71 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:The south has some awesome beers to offer. It's disappointing that the most known brewery out of the Southeast US is Abita. Their stuff is ok, but at the best, its average. Sweetwater, Cigar City and St. Somewhere are awesome breweries


Ouch, Abita is out of the Mississippi Delta, and I personally don't consider that region the South East.

Plus, I really enjoy Abita. Don't ruin my fun :)


Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I guess its just my personal preferences. I'm an IPA freak and I've not had an IPA or pale ale from Abita that really hit my palate the right way. But I do know that their Purple Haze and other styles are popular. I guess that I've just never had anything from them that has wowed me, regardless of style. Didn't mean to rain on your parade, just not a fan personally. Sorry. :( Oh well, to each their own.

As far as the geographical thing, idk, I've never been sure what's considered the south east, north east, midwest, etc. I guess that's all a matter of opinion too. :scared: :scared: :scared:

No worries, and it is a matter of personal opinion/taste.

I've lived in Biloxi and I'm still doing tons of business in Galveston.

While Biloxi is the south east, once you get within 20 miles of NOLA every changes from there all the way along the gulf coast to Galveston.

I'm sure BEPF has a better take.

As for Abita, you're right, I prefer Turbo Dog as well. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:26 am

Heading down to East End today with a couple growlers... anyone had any of the new brews there they like? How bout the swingtops?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,223
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby canaan on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:14 am

this crap hole 6 pack shop in donora has cases upon cases of penn brewery and labatt "specialty" (their marzen, blonde, etc) that they are trying to get rid of because nobody wants them. they are selling them 45 cents a bottle or 3 for a buck, mix and match, so its like 8 bucks a case. i went in for 3 cases yesterday, and i think im gonna go get more today.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,789
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby the wicked child on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 pm

8 bucks for a case of Penn Marzen?!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,593
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby canaan on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 pm

the wicked child wrote:8 bucks for a case of Penn Marzen?!

yuppers
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,789
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby canaan on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:32 pm

heres what i got yesterday:

Image

Overlook IPA
Penndemonium
Penn Dark
Berry Weisse
Penn Gold
Some Chocolate Stout (the name escapes me)
Penn Pilsner
Marzen
Kolsch
A Couple of different Labatts
Some kind of Harvesty brew
Octoberfest
Nut Roll Ale

the rest i cant read. lol
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,789
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:39 pm

canaan wrote:
the wicked child wrote:8 bucks for a case of Penn Marzen?!

yuppers



I'm not even envious; I'm jealous.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,353
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby the wicked child on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:42 pm

canaan wrote:
the wicked child wrote:8 bucks for a case of Penn Marzen?!

yuppers

Wowza.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,593
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby canaan on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Whats it run normally?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,789
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766 and 4 guests

e-mail