Lemieux Photo Research Help

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Lemieux Photo Research Help

Postby blurryhaze312 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm hoping someone here may be a Pens photo guru, specifically in the "yesteryear" category. I'm trying to find good game photos of Lemieux from the 1987-88 season wearing the black jersey.

I've tried searching Getty and eBay (both for photos for sale and also hockey cards) and can't really find the detail I'm looking for. I specifically need good shots of the detailing on his jersey, especially the front to see the design of the captain's "C" on the chest.

I have located photos of two of his game-worn jerseys from that season, though the black ones below are from the first set of jerseys issued:

I'm looking for details from the second set, which you can see in the photos below of the home jersey...I assume the "C" is the same detail, but I can't be cetain:

Also of note on those jerseys are the differences in number/letter fonts.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all!
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Lemieux Photo Research Help

Postby bringitonhome on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Are you trying to make a fake jersey and sell it?
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:57 pm

No, I'm trying to take the blank jersey from this season that I just purchased and customize it accurately to the actual game jersey and keep. I'm a collector of vintage Pens jerseys.

Just to answer your "faking" question:

There is no way to match a fake jersey from this time period to the game-worn version. The heat-pressed lettering, if done today, would look way too new. It would never pass the verification needed to be put up for sale on a reputable game-worn site, anyways.

Besides...the jersey isn't even the size Mario wore... :lol:

Why does a guy doing research turn into something nefarious? We just traded for Iginla for Pete's sake...you all should be in a good mood! This board is impossible sometimes. :?
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 pm

From an 1988-89 Esso card, which would mean the pic was taken sometime during the 1987-88 season.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:No, I'm trying to take the blank jersey from this season that I just purchased and customize it accurately to the actual game jersey and keep. I'm a collector of vintage Pens jerseys.

Just to answer your "faking" question:

There is no way to match a fake jersey from this time period to the game-worn version. The heat-pressed lettering, if done today, would look way too new. It would never pass the verification needed to be put up for sale on a reputable game-worn site, anyways.

Besides...the jersey isn't even the size Mario wore... :lol:

Why does a guy doing research turn into something nefarious? We just traded for Iginla for Pete's sake...you all should be in a good mood! This board is impossible sometimes. :?

I was kidding around.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 pm

I'll buy your fake jersey when you're done with it because you used the word nefarious.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 pm

If I ever have a jersey question, I'm pming blurry. This dude has forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever remember.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:59 am

:lol: thanks canaan. The thing is I'm really a newbie to the whole jersey history scene; I talked (I guess listened is the better word) with a guy at the Hockey Expo last year and he didn't stop talking for a good 45 minutes straight and didn't field more than 2 questions. The guy was a machine and only stopped because he went to get lunch.

JS can vouch...without knowing either one of us were board members, we glanced at each other occasionally like we weren't sure if he was going to stop. :lol:

bringitonhome wrote:I was kidding around.

No worries! Sorry. Sarcasm meter was turned off last night. :fist:

@JS....

I think that is the black jersey I have listed above. Those are really the only good shots I can get him in from the front. On the later set you should be able to see through to the jersey material (not white lettering plastic) in the loop at the bottom of the 6s...similar to this:

blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:00 am

Oh, and.....nefarious.

I bet that word has never been said 3 times in the same thread on LGP. :wink:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby OutofFoil on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:Oh, and.....nefarious.

I bet that word has never been said 3 times in the same thread on LGP. :wink:

Nefarious and odious.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby JS© on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:15 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote::lol: thanks canaan. The thing is I'm really a newbie to the whole jersey history scene; I talked (I guess listened is the better word) with a guy at the Hockey Expo last year and he didn't stop talking for a good 45 minutes straight and didn't field more than 2 questions. The guy was a machine and only stopped because he went to get lunch.

JS can vouch...without knowing either one of us were board members, we glanced at each other occasionally like we weren't sure if he was going to stop. :lol:

Yeah, that dude was a pro. Wanted to ask him like 4-5 questions but he moved quickly.

I think that is the black jersey I have listed above. Those are really the only good shots I can get him in from the front]

Are there many differences between the 1987-88 and the 1988-89? I found a gamer from 88-89 which looks like what you posted.

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/product ... 20-81.html

compared to your jersey:

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins