Game 35 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 35 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 am

After a slow start in the first half of period 1, the Pens put on a dominate performance for the remainder of the game. Dominant in all phases of the game; offense, defense, PK, and goaltending.

Addition thoughts:

Geno had a hop in his game, hopefully this is the start of him picking up his game.
Murray looked good on defense and has a bomb of a shot from the point.
Kunitz and Dupuis, what can you say, their speed and tenacity is a thing to behold.
Morrow looked better with Geno and Neal. Not expecting many points from him but he can help in other ways.
Team defense was good, and goaltending excellent when it was needed.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 35 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby lifetimefan on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 am

Geno played defense. A couple of solid plays by him prevent prime chances and possibly goals. When he is onboard the entire team is onboard. Press box hleped his game.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 am

PK at 82% over the streak. 32/39 penalties killed.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:46 am

I was excited to see Murray, and I came away clearly satisfied with what I saw.

This is the gap we were missing. a Hal Gill that can actually skate. If he keeps this up, I want him re-signed. Let's see how it goes.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:46 am

Just enough mistakes in the game to work on and not lose focus for the next game.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 am

The Crosby line was INSANE last night. Several times they had the Jets simply scratching their heads wondering what to do. They were far too fast for them to handle.

Geno and Neal were the same -- tooooo fast for the game! Morrow needs to get up to speed (or be replaced by Iginla)

Murray has a canon!

Despres looks good as usual.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:52 am

- Murray & Morrow have brought elements that the Pens were missing, but it is apparent that they are slow skaters by Pens standards
- Vokoun is back to making it look easy, I was thinking shutout after the first Pens goal
- Super Duper is fated by the hockey gods to max out at 2 goal per game. I hope he can live with that. ;)
- Domination was evident for stretches last night, but that came from the combo of Jets poor and Pens good
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 am

Pitts wrote:The Crosby line was INSANE last night. Several times they had the Jets simply scratching their heads wondering what to do. They were far too fast for them to handle.

Geno and Neal were the same -- tooooo fast for the game! Morrow needs to get up to speed (or be replaced by Iginla)

Murray has a canon!

Despres looks good as usual.

The Crosby line out-classed the Jets last night and they had no answer. A lot of puck-watching and standing around in awe.

for people who want to insert Morrow or Iggy on that line...think again. It takes wingers who can really skate and are in constant motion to play with a center like Sid. Kunitz and Dupuis can do that and have the cardio to do it all game, every night. There's a lot of NHL players who can't and why break up a line that is simply killing it right now?
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 am

Pavel Bure wrote:PK at 82% over the streak. 32/39 penalties killed.

I'm not really understanding tracking this. 82% isn't good, it's actually right about at the middle of the league. It's also only slightly better than they've been over the whole season. I think the PK in the last few games has looked encouraging, though.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:05 am

brwi wrote:for people who want to insert Morrow or Iggy on that line...think again. It takes wingers who can really skate and are in constant motion to play with a center like Sid. Kunitz and Dupuis can do that and have the cardio to do it all game, every night. There's a lot of NHL players who can't and why break up a line that is simply killing it right now?

After the past few games, I agree. Someone mentioned GPS chips -- it's like all 3 have them. They simply know exactly what they are doing out there and can do it a double-warp speed. It was mind-numbing to watch at times last night!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 am

10% of all NHL Captains last week currently play for the Penguins...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:18 am

Henry Hank wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:PK at 82% over the streak. 32/39 penalties killed.

I'm not really understanding tracking this. 82% isn't good, it's actually right about at the middle of the league. It's also only slightly better than they've been over the whole season. I think the PK in the last few games has looked encouraging, though.

It's way better than it was at the beginning. I'm more posting it to keep it straight in my head. I thought they were looking great and probably top 5 in the league over the streak. However they weren't. If you take the last 10 games though I'm sure it's better than 82% because the high scoring games to start the streak wouldn't be in there.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 am

goaltending. that is all.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:49 am

Scary good. That's how they are playing.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 am

Just to add about Sid - he seems so much quicker this season. He's always been quick, but it's off the charts this season. One little step and he's got separation from anyone. Really impressive.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:56 am

Pens have improved their team defense...

Currently, the Pens rank:

2nd winning %
1st goals for
7th goals against
3rd powerplay
17th penalty kill
5th faceoffs

The PK has improved from the beginning of the season. This was their weakness last year in the playoffs and they must make sure it isn't a weakness this year and continue working on it.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 am

The streak has seen a marked improvement in goals against. They were at 3.0 GAPG at one point early in the streak, and have fallen to 2.4 GAPG.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:16 pm

relantel wrote:The streak has seen a marked improvement in goals against. They were at 3.0 GAPG at one point early in the streak, and have fallen to 2.4 GAPG.

Yep. The real streak that I care about is at 10 straight giving up less than three goals. They've only given up as many as two in two of those games. Quite an unbelievable turnaround and encouraging that it continued with Malkin coming back last night. They've been facing pretty good offensive teams too. If they can avoid the prolonged stretches where they're giving up 3-4 goals a game, they are going to be extremely hard to beat.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:21 pm

So in reality streak is still at 10 in my book, I'm not counting what would have been a tie vs the Leafs :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:27 pm

At the game, it looked like Sid was trying to get his linemates all the points he could, just in case, they are not together longer. 20 goals for Kunitz done, 3 more needed for Super Duper.
REspectfully, they are in 3rd, 5th position in goals scored~ for the entire NHL.
AS M.C. sang~ "U Can't touch this!"

Great to have #71 swooping along the ice again, Gene looks good.

I want the Mark Eaton vitamins. He is playing solid D. The entire group, another terrific game. Brooks, baseball is approaching, but batting practice not allowed at the consol. 8-) :wink:

Salute to Tomas Vokoun.
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 1h Prior to yesterday, only once had #Pens completed back-to-back shutouts. First: Game 1-> Wregget & Barrasso Game 2-> Barrasso. 2/8 & 2/10/93

*about the montreal game, it was 1971 when a Montreal team was shutout in Pittsburgh, 1 - zero.

Hopefully Jarome Iginla (think gin) :P was watching and will appreciate the players and fans here in Pittsburgh. the Game at 3 nothing and Kunitz, adams and duper all going to the ice to blocks shots. Jarome has been given a great opportunity, whether for the cup run or longer.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby silentom on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:41 pm

Beat them like a rented mule! Showed how not good Winnipeg actually is. This team looks like they can stomp on anybody if they have the desire to! And no Iginla yet...
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Morrow got to the net often and occupied one or two Jets like a fat man in an airplane lavatory.

Koundog can hunt and fish.

Murray is a mean tank shooting hate bombs.

Pens got down low and worked the boards and points better than they have in a long time.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jwest21 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:58 pm

I actually started to feel a little bad for Montoya. Just a little bit.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:58 pm

DelPen wrote:So in reality streak is still at 10 in my book, I'm not counting what would have been a tie vs the Leafs :)

Yeah, to truly compare to the 17 gamer - but the Isles fans always complained that streak had the benefit of overtime. The play since that Toronto game has been lights out though.

AND... nice to take a first period lead, and build on it so as to leave little doubt. A break from the 1 goal games.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 pm

relantel wrote:
DelPen wrote:So in reality streak is still at 10 in my book, I'm not counting what would have been a tie vs the Leafs :)

Yeah, to truly compare to the 17 gamer - but the Isles fans always complained that streak had the benefit of overtime. The play since that Toronto game has been lights out though.

AND... nice to take a first period lead, and build on it so as to leave little doubt. A break from the 1 goal games.

No matter what the Pens do this year, someone is going to try to add an asterisk to it. I have already seen some idiots say a Cup win should have the * because of the shortened season :face:
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins