Destination Weddings

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Destination Weddings

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Any ideas? Anyone ever have/been to one? What did you like/dislike? Food choices, hotels? Holding a smaller wedding is ideal since not everyone wants to spend an arm and a leg travelling, I just wondered what your experiences at destination weddings were.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Destination Weddings

Postby Rylan on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:37 pm

first a kid now marriage? what happened to you doc? you've changed.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:56 pm

I've only been invited to one ever(Destination wedding), and didn't go. Just too expensive, and to get an extra day or two off of work for travel just made it not worth it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Tickets to Risa are a bit pricey, but it comes highly recommended.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mac5155 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Dominican seems cheapest. Just make sure the guests you want to come will be able and willing to come.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 pm

I've been to a couple destination weddings, and both were fantastic times. First one was in Maui, other one was in Yosemite. (my wife went to another one from that same group of friends on Cape Cod that was considerably less fun, but that was down to the hosts not the location) It's taking a group vacation to, presumably, a really fun place and partying for 4-5 days and THEN having a sweet-azz party to cap it all off.

Can't say I'd recommend having one..... but I'm all about going to them.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Yeah, if I'm going somewhere to get married, I'm eloping. Lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Yes I will attend. Thanks for the invite.

ever thought of a trip to mars /total recall /aliens
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 am

Vegas.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:59 am

The zoo is a good place.
:pop:
In all seriousness good luck. Never been/done anything like that.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:17 pm

mac5155 wrote:Dominican seems cheapest. Just make sure the guests you want to come will be able and willing to come.

That is where my sister is doing hers. Costs per person is roughly $3000 for 5 days and airfare. We are staying at the hardrock resort in Punta Cana.

I really wish my sister had a normal wedding. The cost is killing this poor college student. The worst part is I might not even be able to go because I graduate this semester and may be starting a job that won't allow me to take off at that time period.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:20 pm

^that is why i find destination weddings to be in poor taste. it is a financial obligation to those that are invited and sometimes is not a welcomed expense and comes at a time when a vacation is not convenient.

to each his own.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:20 pm

thepittman wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Dominican seems cheapest. Just make sure the guests you want to come will be able and willing to come.

That is where my sister is doing hers. Costs per person is roughly $3000 for 5 days and airfare. We are staying at the hardrock resort in Punta Cana.

I really wish my sister had a normal wedding. The cost is killing this poor college student. The worst part is I might not even be able to go because I graduate this semester and may be starting a job that won't allow me to take off at that time period.

How? My honeymoon at a 5 star all inclusive with air for 2 is $4600. and that's 7 nights.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm

I don't think I'd pay 3000$ to go to anyones wedding family member or not, no matter where it was held. That's just obscene that people would expect others to pay that.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 pm

skullman80 wrote:I don't think I'd pay 3000$ to go to anyones wedding family member or not, no matter where it was held. That's just obscene that people would expect others to pay that.

Yeah, I had a giant fight with my sister about it. Pretty selfish and doesn't care about everyone that would want to go. Basically it's everyone on his side of the family is going because they have money and none of ours.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm

mac5155 wrote:
thepittman wrote:

How? My honeymoon at a 5 star all inclusive with air for 2 is $4600. and that's 7 nights.

I don't know how bro, I just know what I'm paying
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:41 pm

thepittman wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
thepittman wrote:

Sounds like you're subsidizing the bride's costs :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 pm

mac5155 wrote:
thepittman wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
thepittman wrote:

Sounds like you're subsidizing the bride's costs :pop:

I bought the tickets and room myself
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:19 pm

I always thought people had destination weddings because they didn't want many guests to actually bother showing up. :lol:
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:I always thought people had destination weddings because they didn't want many guests to actually bother showing up. :lol:

Was expecting a plug for your photography business. Lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 pm

The planet Katharos?

j/k Doc... :) Hope it works out for everyone.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:18 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:I always thought people had destination weddings because they didn't want many guests to actually bother showing up. :lol:

I refer all wedding inquiries to colleagues I don't like. :lol:
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

I refer all wedding inquiries to colleagues I don't like. :lol:

HockeyNut... did you go to AIP by any chance?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:03 pm

EPP - No, I worked in the indie film industry right out of high school and picked up all of my knowledge on lighting, composition, posing, etc. through that biz.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:50 pm

It has been my (limited) experience that the bride and groom planning the wedding won't do a destination event type thing until it has been vetted with the friends and family. Of the two-plus-one that I've been associated with, neither couple would have gone ahead with their plans if the loved ones wouldn't have been able to make it. (The third was actually from Cape Cod, so she was getting married in her hometown.)

One thing is certain; if you attend a destination wedding, that should seriously alter the couple's expectations on the gift giving front.

And something else to remember; if you live far away from your family and some friends (like both my wife and I do), then no matter where you get married it will be a 'destination wedding' for them. The first time my mom was able to come out here to visit since I moved in 1997 was for my wedding in 2006. And my wife and I paid the tab. All in all, we had about 9 or 10 out of 70 guests that had to fly in, and we just got married in Long Beach.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to NHR