Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i don't think sutter has the chops to center a scoring line - even with iginla on his wing. 12 will be in the top 6. i thought morrow was good last night, but i don't think we're nearly at the point where it's a priority to keep him with geno. also, dupuis is either going to play with crosby or with sutter. he has no history of meshing with malkin, and while it's very possible that they could play nice together, it's not something you try to cultivate this late in the game.

basically, if you're keeping line 1 together, iginla goes to line 2, morrow goes to line 3 and kennedy probably goes to line 4. if you're breaking up line 1, iginla goes to line 1, dupuis goes to line 3 and kennedy goes to line 4. i think bennett being in the lineup is somewhat of a stretch at this point.

but hey - i didn't think we were gonna do squat at the deadline, so what do i know

I agree with everything you said here.

(also, you thought I was nuts for thinking Iginla was a target...not hatin', jus' saying)

i'll happily eat crow on that one, but who could have predicted he'd come so cheap?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm

shmenguin wrote:
i'll happily eat crow on that one, but who could have predicted he'd come so cheap?

Very few.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Too bad we cant re-sign them all - Iggy, Duper, Cooke, Morrow and Murray.. Unless we dont re-sign Kennedy,trade Orpik or something like that,but that is extremely unlikely.

The most realistic scenario as I see it - would be in 2013-2014 :

Forwards :
Sid 8.7, Malkin 8.7, Neal 5.0, Kunitz 3.75, Dupuis 2.5 , Morrow 2.5, Sutter 2.05, Cooke 1.8, Bennett 0.99, Glass 1.1, Jeffrey 0.750,
Adams 0.675, Vitale 0.550

Defense :
Martin 5.0, Orpik 3.75, Letang 3.0, Niskanen 2.3, Despres 0.840, Eaton/Engelland 0.5-0.7 and Bortuzzo 0.7

Goalies :
MAF 5.0 , Vokoun 2.0

Payroll approx. 63M
Free space 1M
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 pm

So you swap Kennedy for Morrow and address holes again at the deadline next year. Might need to do that but that's still fine.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm

I have no idea where he'll play, but looking forward to seeing this...

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby scals37 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Steve wrote:I have no idea where he'll play, but looking forward to seeing this...

who's 13?
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby malksby8771 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:53 pm

With the cap going down to 64.3M, Looks like the absolute max cap hit we could re-sign iggy for would be 5M. If he wants anymore than 4.5M per year or so we probably can't afford him.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($2.500m)
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.500m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Trevor Smith ($0.575m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.578m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Tanner Glass ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,113,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $186,667
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 pm

scals37 wrote:
Steve wrote:I have no idea where he'll play, but looking forward to seeing this...

who's 13?

I think they give Beau Bennett 13, because that's what he wears in WBS on the game.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Old Used Pylon on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 pm

I know we double shift 87 and 71 sometimes. Could we dress Adams for his pking and a shift here and there but go with longer shifts for 87 and 71?

14-87-9
19- -12
10-71-18
24-16-48

I know, I know, I'm trying way to hard here.
Last edited by Old Used Pylon on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Used Pylon
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 pm

It's bad karma to break up a line that's playing exceptionally well; as it is to demote a player, like Dupuis, who worked his way up and is producing. It sends the wrong message to the rest of the team. Breaking up Sid and Kunitz makes even less sense.

Malkin and Neal also have exceptional chemistry together and really need a guy to do the dirty work for them; like Morrow.

There are a lot of benefits to Iginla starting his career on the 3rd line
- The 3rd line hasn't yet found its 5vs5 groove; offensively at least
- He'd be the focus on the line with the others playing to his strengths; he's been the focus of his line for his entire career
- By taking that role, he sends a good message to his new teammates, improving morale
- Playing him on the 1st line, the best line in hockey, gives him a great opportunity to fail if they start slow
- It gives the team balance: 2nd line doesn't need scoring, it needs grit; Morrow has that covered; first line doesn't need any changes; 3rd line needs scoring and leadership

This s a lot like when Sid returned last year with the team playing well. He left the first two lines intact and fit where he was needed. That was the right thing to do for the team.

The opportunities to play Iginla with Sid or Geno will come when the team is playing poorly and when players are slumping or injured. I'm also speaking to regular shifts. I fully expect, regardless of regular linemates, that DB is going to be throwing experimental combos out frequently.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cubist on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Really hoping to see him with Malking and Neal. He has played his entire career without a number one centre, just give him a chance already lol. I do understand the reluctance to break up the Crosby line.
cubist

Postby Beveridge on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Desiato wrote:This s a lot like when Sid returned last year with the team playing well. He left the first two lines intact and fit where he was needed. That was the right thing to do for the team.

I know we have the benefit of hindsight, but turning the 3rd line into an offensive line was the beginning of the unravel. Not that there weren't other components. The fact is we need 2 lines scoring, one line keeping the other team from scoring, and one line doing just enough to swing some momentum.

I know it doesn't make sense to break up Kunitz Crosby and Dupuis but it makes more sense, to me, to make a 3rd line of Cooke Sutter and Dupuis. That line would be one hell of a challenge to score on and would be what the 3rd line was for the Pens during the cup runs.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 pm

14 Kunitz - 87 Crosby - 9 Dupuis
18 Neal - 71 Malkin - 12 Iginla
24 Cooke - 16 Sutter - 10 Morrow
15 Glass - 27 Adams - 48 Kennedy
46 Vitale
19 Bennett
17 Jeffrey

58 Letang - 47 Despres
44 Orpik - 7 Martin
2 Niskanen - 3 Murray
4 Eaton
5 Engelland
47 Bortuzzo

29 Fleury
92 Vokoun
36 Zatkoff

Thoughts
-Had to dig up this template from the 'You're the GM thread, 3 season ago' Wow, some great posts in there.
-Don't break up the best line in hockey until its struggling, so that puts Iggy with Geno.
-I think Morrow could fit well on the 3rd line. Cooke as the first guy into the zone to cause ruckus with Sutter following up, have Morrow go to the net where he's most effective.
-4th line is tough. I don't want TK on the team but he could be best as a 4th liner. He has more scoring than Vitale. I just hope he doesn't go invisible. Got to play Glass at least to start the playoffs, I mean, that's where his game should be most effective right? Everyone knows Adams won't be moved/sat. If TK is struggling probably go with Vitale instead. I don't think Bennett/Jeffrey will get much playing time, only if there's an injury in the top 9.
-For the defense, I'm sorry I still want Despres and Letang together. Niskanen is not a top pairing guy. This is why I've wanted Despres to be there all along to get ready for the playoffs. Are people really ready for a Letang - Eaton/Niskanen top pairing? I just don't think Eaton has enough at 35 for a long playoff run... Maybe start Eaton there, and then use Despres? Either way, I like having 7 defenseman for the playoffs. I can't see the 4th line getting much 5v5 time anyways. No point in using Engelland, the guy doesn't crease clear. That's why Murray is here.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:10 pm

I was thinking about Crosby's line. There really is no 3rd wheel. Both Kunitz and Dupuis do the dirty work and can also get open for a one-timer, making it difficult for teams to focus on one or two players to shut their line down. if Kunitz and Crosby have guys draped on them, Dupuis will get open and score on a one-timer. Other teams can't focus on one member of the line since as of this season, they can all score at an impressive rate. Malkin's line has struggled. It also has had an anchor on the LW (except for the short time Bennett played there), allowing teams to ignore the LW and concentrate on shutting down Malkin/Neal. So putting Iginla (RW) on Malkin's line with Neal to LW, teams can't just focus on Neal and Malkin and leave Iginla open. This line would be more potent and would give opposing teams the choice of picking their own poison.
Morrow Sutter Cooke would be a sweet 3rd line.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Steve Dave wrote:I was thinking about Crosby's line. There really is no 3rd wheel. Both Kunitz and Dupuis do the dirty work and can also get open for a one-timer, making it difficult for teams to focus on one or two players to shut their line down. if Kunitz and Crosby have guys draped on them, Dupuis will get open and score on a one-timer. Other teams can't focus on one member of the line since as of this season, they can all score at an impressive rate. Malkin's line has struggled. It also has had an anchor on the LW (except for the short time Bennett played there), allowing teams to ignore the LW and concentrate on shutting down Malkin/Neal. So if Iginla plays RW and Neal moves to LW, teams can't just focus on Neal and Malkin, leaving Iginla open. Morrow Sutter Cooke would be a sweet 3rd line.

Yeah I agree with this. Dupuis is having such a great season. He's finishing. There's no guarantee that he'll be the same player on the 3rd line with Sutter. It might actually benefit Morrow playing on the 3rd line vs weaker defenses. I really feel like the top 9 that we both mentioned is so solid its unreal. I really really hope they don't screw it up. I don't think Iggy will demand to play with Sid either.

Just worry about your little 4th line Bylsma. You got your grinders. Be happy.

Defensive thoughts? thx
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scpensfan on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Not gonna lie, it's kinda funny that we've been screaming about Crosby needing a winger for as long as I can remember.
Now we've got one and folks don't want his line broken up.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 pm

Nizzy wrote:Just worry about your little 4th line Bylsma. You got your grinders. Be happy.

I take it should we happen to win the Cup it will be, by your estimation, despite DB?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Just worry about your little 4th line Bylsma. You got your grinders. Be happy.

I take it should we happen to win the Cup it will be, by your estimation, despite DB?

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Nizzy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:

Defense started playing better. Team defense started clicking. I still honestly feel that HCDB is very inexperienced and I feel like he doesn't know really any other styles to play. Sometimes you need to switch it up in the playoffs. I think this team might be too deep that it might not matter. I wish Bylsma would have more faith in his younger players. From what I see they do just as good, if not better most nights than "his guys".

It's no secret I've be on Bylsma since 2010. I hope he can bring home another one...
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 pm

Desiato wrote:It's bad karma to break up a line that's playing exceptionally well; as it is to demote a player, like Dupuis, who worked his way up and is producing. It sends the wrong message to the rest of the team. Breaking up Sid and Kunitz makes even less sense.

He wouldn't be demoted. He would likely stay on the 1st line with Crosby and Iginla.

As far as Kunitz goes, last year, the Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line was the "best line in hockey" (which some people also didnt wanna up)..... so I say it would probably work well again...

you know what makes little sense.... trading for Iginla and playing him on the 3rd line
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:53 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
Desiato wrote:It's bad karma to break up a line that's playing exceptionally well; as it is to demote a player, like Dupuis, who worked his way up and is producing. It sends the wrong message to the rest of the team. Breaking up Sid and Kunitz makes even less sense.

He wouldn't be demoted. He would likely stay on the 1st line with Crosby and Iginla.

As far as Kunitz goes, last year, the Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line was the "best line in hockey" (which some people also didnt wanna up)..... so I say it would probably work well again...

you know what makes little sense.... trading for Iginla and playing him on the 3rd line

This probably makes the most sense:

Dupuis Crosby Iginla
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Morrow Sutter Cooke
Glass Adams Kennedy

Dupuis is able to play either LW or RW.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:

This probably makes the most sense:

Dupuis Crosby Iginla
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Morrow Sutter Cooke
Glass Adams Kennedy

Dupuis is able to play either LW or RW.

I agree.... and guess what... if it doesnt work, you can change it up again and try to find other line combos that work
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Unbeliever on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:06 pm

You have to think about what each line is supposed to accomplish, Morrow on the third line does not make a lot of sense for multiple reasons. In his last game he really showed how he makes the Malkin line several times better, by battling that hard in front of the goal he creates a lot of room for the other guys. Furthermore, the third line is first and foremost a line that you rely on to hold on to the puck and to cycle it in the offensive zone as well as to be defensively capable and quick to fall back. Morrow is slow, he makes the third line worse by being a liability to them completing that task. Dupuis on the other hand is great defensively, he cycles and he is damn fast. He is a scoring threat on the third line while also being a player with grind and heart who can just dig in. Morrow makes the second line better, Dupuis makes the third line better. Iginla would likely make any of those two lines better but in the light of how the other guys fill their roles, the obvious choice is to play Iginla with Crosby and Kunitz. That is the only setup that make all lines look equally terrifying to play against.

Right after we score a goal, or right after a power play that is when I want to see players like Dupuis, Cooke and Sutter on the ice because they make the team better defensively. I don't want to see Morrow out there.
Unbeliever
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Unbeliever wrote:You have to think about what each line is supposed to accomplish, Morrow on the third line does not make a lot of sense for multiple reasons. In his last game he really showed how he makes the Malkin line several times better, by battling that hard in front of the goal he creates a lot of room for the other guys. Furthermore, the third line is first and foremost a line that you rely on to hold on to the puck and to cycle it in the offensive zone as well as to be defensively capable and quick to fall back. Morrow is slow, he makes the third line worse by being a liability to them completing that task. Dupuis on the other hand is great defensively, he cycles and he is damn fast. He is a scoring threat on the third line while also being a player with grind and heart who can just dig in. Morrow makes the second line better, Dupuis makes the third line better. Iginla would likely make any of those two lines better but in the light of how the other guys fill their roles, the obvious choice is to play Iginla with Crosby and Kunitz. That is the only setup that make all lines look equally terrifying to play against.

Right after we score a goal, or right after a power play that is when I want to see players like Dupuis, Cooke and Sutter on the ice because they make the team better defensively. I don't want to see Morrow out there.

You have made me a believer. Makes sense.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saints11 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Our 4th line is usually made up of Glass and Adams who kill penalties. As much as Glass has not produced, point wise, DB relies on him in that PK role. TK doesn't kill penalties, so that removes Vitale and Jeffrey from The equation. Can see the possibility of TK being moved before the deadline for a pick. We need to keep Jeffrey around in case something happens to one of the 3 top line C's.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins