Game 35 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 35 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby rinkflea on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Murray looks to be the Pens/NHL version of Fulton Reed from Disney's Mighty Ducks movies. A Bash Brother with a howitzer shot. Sort of looks like an adult version of him as well.
rinkflea

Postby no name on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Did Winnipeg even show up? Seems like they were a little scared. Knowing the moves we made and Malkin back in the lineup seems like they lost even befor the game started.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:55 pm

rinkflea wrote:Murray looks to be the Pens/NHL version of Fulton Reed from Disney's Mighty Ducks movies. A Bash Brother with a howitzer shot. Sort of looks like an adult version of him as well.

Murray + Orpik = ???
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:56 pm

jwest21 wrote:I actually started to feel a little bad for Montoya. Just a little bit.

Because we killed his father?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:57 pm

1. Vokoun looks outstanding. Confident, controlling the puck, and 1 step ahead of shooters. I can't believe how different from the lethargic, dazed performances we saw from him during his slump.

2. Pens continue to work hard up and down the ice. Moving as a unit, guys coming back deep in their own zone (consistently), great puck support. That is what it is supposed to look like. During this streak, they have completely turned around their sloppy, lazy, incompetent defensive play and look almost (almost) like the 2009 team at the beginning of HCDB's era (with the defensive discipline instilled by the freshly fired FHCMT).

3. Do 1 and 2 have some link?

4. Murray is slow. Murray is physically imposing. Hope the latter overshadows the former.

5. Morrow is slow, but did a good job battling in front of the other team's net. I would like to see how him being on Malkin/Neal line pans out, but probably won't get that chance once Iginla shows up. Morrow should get the short end of the stick (being put out of top 2 lines).

6. Does any team have an answer right now for Crosby/Kunitz/Dupuis? They ARE the hardest working line in show business.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Great58 wrote:
jwest21 wrote:I actually started to feel a little bad for Montoya. Just a little bit.

prepare to die
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:14 pm

He played one hell of a game!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Game by game depres is getting better and better.
His development really looks impressive. He's a big bodied kid that can skate and push the puck... Hate to say it but if iginla shines and forces Sheros hand... Letang could be moved off-season for a first rounder that we gave up for Jarome...
Last edited by marek on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:42 pm

marek wrote:Game by game depres is getting better and better.
His development really looks impressive. He's a big bodied kid that can skate and push the puck... Hate to say it but if iginla shines and forces Sheros hand... Letang could be moved off-season for a first rounder that we gave up for Jerome...

Sacrilege! But I have to agree. I find Letang a bit overrated as a complete player. Unless he drastically improves his decision-making, develops a better shot, and becomes a more steady PPQB (I absolutely hate him there right now), he won't live up to his next contract. What a talent though.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Great58 wrote:

No, because he actually switched blocker and glove hands.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Highlight of the game: Tangradi BUSTs in on a break away and misses the net
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:22 pm

jwest21 wrote:
Great58 wrote:

prepare to die

Oro.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Highlight of the game: Tangradi BUSTs in on a break away and misses the net

That was the moment getting a 7th for him seemed like a miracle.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:26 pm

There was a time at the game I felt like a Roman at the coliseum cheering for the lions.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Highlight of the game: Tangradi BUSTs in on a break away and misses the net

I am baffled by the apparent animosity toward Tangradi. One would think he had committed some heinous crime that must never be forgotten. The guy didn’t have what it takes to make it on this team and, as a result, was shipped out of town. It isn’t his fault that some people inflated his value and expected more from him than he could deliver, so I just don’t get why some people have such a personal dislike for the guy. What am I missing?
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 pm

marek wrote:Game by game depres is getting better and better.
His development really looks impressive. He's a big bodied kid that can skate and push the puck... Hate to say it but if iginla shines and forces Sheros hand... Letang could be moved off-season for a first rounder that we gave up for Jarome...

I like Letang and think he offers a lot but I don't see him as an elite d in this league. Yes, he puts up points, but who wouldn't with 87/71? His PP is awful and it seems like he is always injured. You can't tie up $7/yr in him, especially when younhave so much tied up in 87/71. Again, I like him a lot but not sure he should be extended unless it's for around $5.5. Would love to see what he could bring in a trade during offseason.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Letang for a 1st rounder. What is this. I don't even. Madness.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:46 pm

- Dominating performance, almost looked autopilot.
- Still can't believe Jarome is on the way.
- Murray impressed me, guy has a bomb. Wonder if he was encouraged to do so?
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 pm

no name wrote:Did Winnipeg even show up? Seems like they were a little scared. Knowing the moves we made and Malkin back in the lineup seems like they lost even befor the game started.

They showed up to play at the start of the game and then later became spectators. Jets seriously looked befuddled that the Crosby line is that fast going up and down the ice and also are really quick along the boards to convert 50/50 battles into scoring opportunities.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 pm

this game looked like we were playing an AHL team, not a playoff bound team. and we were without a norris trophy candidate, our former All Star goalie, and the living legend future hall of famer we just traded for. plus, we just added 2 players, and got back the reigning league mvp, so chemistry was a bit weird. you see where i'm going with this? last night was a beat down, pure and simple. it was a beat down of a playoff team when we had injury and chemistry issues. that is just insane.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 pm

TrueNorth wrote:

I am baffled by the apparent animosity toward Tangradi. One would think he had committed some heinous crime that must never be forgotten. The guy didn’t have what it takes to make it on this team and, as a result, was shipped out of town. It isn’t his fault that some people inflated his value and expected more from him than he could deliver, so I just don’t get why some people have such a personal dislike for the guy. What am I missing?

I think it is because he is wasted talent.

He is a lazy, deluded player. He believes he is fine as he is, which is why he stinks. He doesn't have scoring touch, which is clear, but his biggest drawbacks are issues of will.

He COULD get stronger, but he has spent three straight off-seasons convincing himself he is working hard. It is clear as soon as the team hits the ice in late summer, that he did not. He is poorly conditioned and it is easy to see.

He could play with an edge. He may know himself that he will never score consistently, so he could decide that he will do whatever it takes to stay and get mean. He does it on occassion, but never consistently. The two games against the Pens are clearly the hardest he plays, and that is still not hard enough to be a 4th liner.

He could improve his first step. He has not gotten a split second faster off the blocks. Three seasons in the pros, and he is still kidding himself.

I know that he backtracked a little upon his return last night on his out the door comments, but he spoke from his heart at that time - and he spoke his mind - he was not given a chance and his leash was too short.

He is his own worst enemy.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 am

The Snapshot wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:

He is a lazy, deluded player. He believes he is fine as he is, which is why he stinks. He doesn't have scoring touch, which is clear, but his biggest drawbacks are issues of will.

He COULD get stronger, but he has spent three straight off-seasons convincing himself he is working hard. It is clear as soon as the team hits the ice in late summer, that he did not. He is poorly conditioned and it is easy to see.

He could play with an edge. He may know himself that he will never score consistently, so he could decide that he will do whatever it takes to stay and get mean. He does it on occassion, but never consistently. The two games against the Pens are clearly the hardest he plays, and that is still not hard enough to be a 4th liner.

He could improve his first step. He has not gotten a split second faster off the blocks. Three seasons in the pros, and he is still kidding himself.

I know that he backtracked a little upon his return last night on his out the door comments, but he spoke from his heart at that time - and he spoke his mind - he was not given a chance and his leash was too short.

Very well said.

He's a bust.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:48 am

The Snapshot wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. You’ve more than adequately answered my question.

Thanks for the explanation. You’ve more than adequately answered my question.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins