Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Postby Desiato on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:As far as Kunitz goes, last year, the Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line was the "best line in hockey" (which some people also didnt wanna up)..... so I say it would probably work well again...

you know what makes little sense.... trading for Iginla and playing him on the 3rd line

Kunitz is more productive with Crosby than Neal is with Malkin, not to mention way more productive than he was with the two of them. The K-C-D line should be kept together as long as it's this potent. From an overall play point of view, this might be the best Pens line since Stevens-Mario-Tocchet. Breaking it up while it's this hot should be out of the question.

25+ years of superstars in Pittsburgh have taught us, repeatedly, lines are not usually a sum of their parts. You need the right mix of attributes with a willingness to play roles and defer. A clear, uncontested pecking order is essential.

The point of obtaining Iginla was to improve the team. Breaking up the best line in the NHL does not seem conducive to that goal.

Iginla brings grit, scoring, leadership and speed to the table. Only Sutter's line needs all four. Crosby's line doesn't need anything. Malkin's line needed only grit.

If breaking up K-C-D is out of the question, I'd rather see Iginla the first option with Sutter than the 3rd option with Malkin and Neal. Especially with the show Morrow put on in front of the net against the Jets.

As things stand now, the 3rd line is a logical place for Iginla, even if he's a top six forward. But clearly, he'd be the first guy to move up should (when) a slump or injury occur.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby seabiscuit on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:08 am

Desiato wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:As far as Kunitz goes, last year, the Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line was the "best line in hockey" (which some people also didnt wanna up)..... so I say it would probably work well again...

you know what makes little sense.... trading for Iginla and playing him on the 3rd line

Kunitz is more productive with Crosby than Neal is with Malkin, not to mention way more productive than he was with the two of them. The K-C-D line should be kept together as long as it's this potent. From an overall play point of view, this might be the best Pens line since Stevens-Mario-Tocchet. Breaking it up while it's this hot should be out of the question.

25+ years of superstars in Pittsburgh have taught us, repeatedly, lines are not usually a sum of their parts. You need the right mix of attributes with a willingness to play roles and defer. A clear, uncontested pecking order is essential.

The point of obtaining Iginla was to improve the team. Breaking up the best line in the NHL does not seem conducive to that goal.

Iginla brings grit, scoring, leadership and speed to the table. Only Sutter's line needs all four. Crosby's line doesn't need anything. Malkin's line needed only grit.

If breaking up K-C-D is out of the question, I'd rather see Iginla the first option with Sutter than the 3rd option with Malkin and Neal. Especially with the show Morrow put on in front of the net against the Jets.

As things stand now, the 3rd line is a logical place for Iginla, even if he's a top six forward. But clearly, he'd be the first guy to move up should (when) a slump or injury occur.

You should be banned from posting. You should go research how many goals "super duper" had in the ten years in the nhl before becoming a penguin compared to iggy.
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Spangler on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:53 am

smoothmoneyb wrote:I really don't understand people wanting to break up the best line in hockey. If it's not broken, then don't break it. Kunitz and Dupuis have been awesome this year. It's not JUST because of Crosby either. They have both played with Crosby before but neither of them have been putting up the #'s they are this year. Last time I checked, Dupuis was SECOND IN THE NHL IN ES GOALS! And as far as moving Kunitz down to the 2nd line with Malkin and Neal, I don't think that makes the most sense either. Yeah, that line was great last year. But better than the 14-87-9 line this year? I don't really think so. Do you guys realize that Kunitz, at least as of about a week ago, was on pace to set new all time personal highs for both goals and points?! AND DOING SO WHILE PLAYING JUST A LITTLE OVER HALF THE GAMES IN A REGULAR SEASON!. Please stop for a minute to take that in. Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, chemistry does matter. And those three have spent more time playing together, and developing chemistry than anyone else on the team.

Right now we have the best line in hockey, and a second line with two All stars plus a revolving door of different forwards who just haven't quite worked out. We acquire a HOF winger and we don't know where to put him?! Want to break up the best line in hockey? Makes not sense. I'd much rather have two of the best, if not the very two best lines in hockey, plus an excellent third line than try to do everything possible to stack the 1st and potentially mess things up. IMO, unless Crosby is mentioning behind closed doors that he wants to play with Jarome, then I say just leave it alone. If that's what Crosby wants, than I say just give it to him. It's his team and he should be able to play with whoever he wants to play with.

I agree 100%

Just watching Crosby Kunitz and Dupuis, you can tell they know exactly where everyone is, and they anticipate every move. Their chemistry is second to none right now.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 am

It is just because of Crosby. The only other player that could hope to squeeze that much production out of two career ~55 point players is centering our second line.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:27 am

I find it a little amusing that people don't want to move dupius off of Sids line but are happy screwing up Neal and Malkin by making Neal play LW. The pens moved Neal to RW because they thought he would be better suited for it and he only scored 40 goals last year doing on that wing. Malkin and Neal have chemisty also so you leave them alone and add a player the complements them in morrow.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:45 am

darkstar57 wrote:I find it a little amusing that people don't want to move dupius off of Sids line but are happy screwing up Neal and Malkin by making Neal play LW. The pens moved Neal to RW because they thought he would be better suited for it and he only scored 40 goals last year doing on that wing. Malkin and Neal have chemisty also so you leave them alone and add a player the complements them in morrow.

I think Neal scored 40 because of Kuntiz making space. LW/RW wasn't the key factor. He has looked ordinary this year even when Malkin is healthy. He needs someone but there to clear bodies. Morrow can do that on the LW but Iginla can also do it on the RW.

I still think the team would be better with:

9-87-12
14-71-18

it's worth a try now with a dozen or so games left, if after 4-5 games it's not clicking put 14-87-9 back together and go from there.

I think it would be silly to NOT try Iginla with Sid and also see if Kunitz and get Neal scoring again.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:15 am

HE FITS TODAY'S LINEUP
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:22 am

viva la ben wrote:HE FITS TODAY'S LINEUP

Specifically on the second line with Malkin and Neal.

Congrats Duper! You deserve your spot on the "best line in hockey"

Todays game is going to be outstanding!

I'm actually trying to think of a bar around here that's frequented by Isles fans. What a joy it would be to show up in a Pens sweater.

:twisted:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby penny lane on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:23 am

Evgeni~ have fun!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Unbeliever on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:28 am

Bah, so Bylsma chose the worst of the three possible choices -.- I hope I am proved wrong but that is going to be a terrible third line.
Unbeliever
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 am

Unbeliever wrote:Bah, so Bylsma chose the worst of the three possible choices -.- I hope I am proved wrong but that is going to be a terrible third line.

Good thing we don't have any time for him and the team to figure it all out.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:25 am

I think he made the best choice. Didn't mess with the first line, Iginla is > Morrow so second line improves, and I think this third line with Morrow, Sutter, and Cooke should have a strong identity as a tough line to play against. Again, nothing is permanent anyway, and injuries are bound to happen that will change plans. We already saw that with Martin getting hurt, likely getting Despres back into the lineup after much hand-wringing about his benching.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:48 am

I'm happy to see Iggy in a Pens jersey no matter where he plays! Geno now has a lethal one-timer option to his left and right, good luck defending that! Morrow-Sutter-Cooke is solid and imposing with just enough skill to be an additional scoring threat. If TK drops to the 4th then Vitale likely sits (shame as his speed would work well with TK) but that is incredible depth.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:53 am

I think Iggy is the ultimate test of the Blue Jersey Jinx.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Luckybreak wrote:I'm happy to see Iggy in a Pens jersey no matter where he plays! Geno now has a lethal one-timer option to his left and right, good luck defending that! Morrow-Sutter-Cooke is solid and imposing with just enough skill to be an additional scoring threat. If TK drops to the 4th then Vitale likely sits (shame as his speed would work well with TK) but that is incredible depth.

Yeah, that should work out rather well. really excited to see how it plays out.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Sure we all want to see what a penguins PP will look like, but you guys forget we have no entered the days in the calendar where the 2003 rulebook is in effect, which means we won't see any penalties called on either team.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:33 pm

I say by page 11 we get a Drama post with Iginlakorovsky
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:16 pm

I just wanted to say "lol" to the guy that said trade TK at the deadline.

Nice try, Bylsma isn't trading his little tiger ahhahahhahah hahahahahhahhaha hahhahhahahhha hahhahaahhahah LMAOahahahahhahahahahahahhahah
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Considering Bylsma isn't the one who handles trades, your post is dumber than usual.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Beveridge wrote:Considering Bylsma isn't the one who handles trades, your post is dumber than usual.

I'm assuming it was you that made that post. Tyler Kennedy is the same exact player as he was when Bylsma took the roster. He's everything Bylsma wants in a player. Grinder, terrible at about everything, only scores once every 9 games to keep his roster spot. Fringe grinder.

LITTLE TIGER GRINDER LMAO!!!!!!

YOU THINK DAN BYLSMA IS GOING TO LET RAY SHERO TAKE HIS LITTLE TIGER? LOL HAHHAHA DO YOU EVEN KNOW THIS TEAM?

RAISE THE BANNER, #48. tk isnt going anywhere
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guiner on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:55 pm

So, did we learn our lesson today on the futility of these conversations?

The real life story of a season is always different and more interesting than any concept we create in our heads about a fantasy future.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:02 pm

guiner wrote:So, did we learn our lesson today on the futility of these conversations?

How long have you been around LGP 'guiner? :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Anywhere he wants to.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby stopper40 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:11 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:I say by page 11 we get a Drama post with Iginlakorovsky

:D :fist:
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Gotta say, Morrow-Malkin-Neal looked better than Iginla-Malkin-Neal.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins